• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2023 Offensive Coordinator Thread

Who’s your OC pick?

• Eric Bienemy

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Greg Roman

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Pat Shurmur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken Zampese

• Other (specify in comments)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin is clearly not an accomplished QB but he did spend 3 recent years in that locker room.

The whole rush dominant offense is dumb and even Rivera doesn’t buy into that shit.

The whole rush dominant offense is dumb and even Rivera doesn’t buy into that shit.

For the sake of the conversation... if you're going to consider having a heavy run presence... Greg Roman is about as good as you'll find in the NFL. He also produced an NFL MVP at QB.... which is something this franchise has NEVER had.

1674220273165.png

just look at these stats... the run game is not just slamming into a wall.. it's consistenly top of the league in yards AND yards per attempt.... meaning it's working. The other things that jump off the page are GvA (giveaways) and INTs... again, consistently tops in the league.

I also wonder if another factor in that skew of rush / pass is becuase his teams have leads... they don't generally have to get into track meets. I also don't think Roman has ever had the stable of weapons this offense has had (man we've been saying that a lot lately...).

In all honesty, I'd be intrigued if we got Roman because (even if we don't 'like' the idea of a run heavy offense) we would legit have an offensive identity for a change. The guy's offense works. It's consistently worked in the NFL. It's been top 15 in scoring all but 2 seasons. It's been top 10 in 6 out of 10.

edit: Originally said 'ecstatic' if we got Roman, changed it to 'Intrigued' because I do agree that i'd worry we wouldn't utilize our weaponry on offense... but we would likely have an Identity none the less... and one that's been effective on this level for a lot of seasons.

Last edited:
The problem is, until you have a bonafide passing threat at QB, all a rush heavy attack guarantees is that you will be in a ton of close games (there may be exceptions like when you have a guy like Lamar Jackson). And as we know, winning close games isn’t really a Ron Rivera strength, at least not winning enough to get to the playoffs. And then there are those teams that do have a real QB and potent passing game that a rush heavy team just can’t keep up with on the scoreboard.

I’d like to see us have a very balanced offense. Our strength right now is our receiving corps. Makes no sense to design an offense that doesn’t feature them imho.

The rushing stats look great. The passing stats look anemic. Even with an NFL MVP at QB, Baltimore has won 1 playoff game with him.

You wont hear an argument from me... we have legit NFL weapons on our offense... Tools to be explosive (and to be fair we dont 'know' that Roman is incapable of using those weapons.... in 2021 his offense ranked 13th in passing offense (yards) which was clearly the outlier... but it shows the offense is CAPABLE of being effective in the pass game... 'could' this offense look similar? These are the recieving stats from that season... by far a TE heavy attack, and no WR matched any season Terry has had.

1674222550075.png

He also produced an NFL MVP at QB.... which is something this franchise has NEVER had.

You are going to awaken a former poster on this site with that kind of memory. Theismann, 1983. Right after the only kicker to ever win MVP. It was by far Joe’s best year and it was also 40 years ago.

Which is why I agree with your overall point. An offense that works is an offense that works. I don’t care about style points or how the game looks, I care about scoring more than the other team. I harped on this all year. After week 2, only 1 game with 3 offensive TDs and it took a QB change to get the 3rd in that game. The offense really after week 1 was somewhere between bad and below average every week. The offense needs to be improved and I don’t care how that happens. Get a guy who is successful who can adapt to his players and get the most out of them.

The rushing stats look great. The passing stats look anemic. Even with an NFL MVP at QB, Baltimore has won 1 playoff game with him.

Very Fair...

But that NFL MVP has been on the shelf in each of the last two playoff games..

and we've had 0 playoff wins in almost 20 years

Last edited:
You are going to awaken a former poster on this site with that kind of memory. Theismann, 1983. Right after the only kicker to ever win MVP. It was by far Joe’s best year and it was also 40 years ago.

Which is why I agree with your overall point. An offense that works is an offense that works. I don’t care about style points or how the game looks, I care about scoring more than the other team. I harped on this all year. After week 2, only 1 game with 3 offensive TDs and it took a QB change to get the 3rd in that game. The offense really after week 1 was somewhere between bad and below average every week. The offense needs to be improved and I don’t care how that happens. Get a guy who is successful who can adapt to his players and get the most out of them.

touche' you got me.

I can't believe I slipped on that one

But is that not primarily due to the offense and his skill set?

Then again, maybe Roman ran that offense simply because of his skill set. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But is that not primarily due to the offense and his skill set?

or that they set up the offense to play to that skill set.

San Fran he had Kaepernick, Buffalo... Tyrod Taylor, Baltimore... Lamar Jackson.

All atheletic QBs that have had questions with accuracy.

That very well be because he 'targets' those type QBs to fit his scheme... or it could be a product of the ingredients he's provided to cook with. It's a hard onion to peel because I don't think we've ever actually seen what he does with a QB that's known to be a better passer than a runner.

He had Alex Smith in SF. I believe the year they went to the SB where he was benched for Kaepernick.

Ravens success over the last 10 years or the Redskins success over the last 10? Hmmmm

A consistent threat vs basement dweller?

Yeah screw Roman, we don’t want any of that…

Really fellas?

He had Alex Smith in SF. I believe the year they went to the SB?

yes, you're right, in 2011 Alex threw for 3100 yards and only carried the ball 52 times (i'm pretty sure Pro Football Reference includes sacks as a 'carry') - San Fran lost in the Conference Championship

In 2012, the year they lost in the Super Bowl, was the year Kaepernic really took over. Alex Smith started 9 games... neither guy was a primary runner, and they combined for 3500+ passing yards over the course of the season.

1674224794349.png

Serious question-

If Roman is all that, why is he pursuing other opportunities (fired) like the Washington OC position?

Free agent wide receivers may not like Roman's system and avoided going to Baltimore, but the main reason Baltimore doesn't have a better passing attack is their attempts to address wide receiver in the draft have been a dismal failure.

So many busts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.