• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2023 Offensive Coordinator Thread

Who’s your OC pick?

• Eric Bienemy

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Greg Roman

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Pat Shurmur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken Zampese

• Other (specify in comments)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Ring of Fame
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
What are you looking for in the new OC?

Who should Rivera be looking at?

Last edited:
I think our best bet is to find someone with talent whose been fired or screwed over who may just want a 1 year gig to show what they can do and rejuvenate their resume.

My nominee? Jay Gruden. I know, there's a lot of baggage. But Snyder is all but gone. And he's damaged goods. Which means he'd probably jump at the opportunity to get back into coaching, even if it's in DC. He would be one of the absolute best offensive minds we could get in what is not a very attractive situation.

The new coordinator will have a lot on his plate considering that Rivera won’t be much help.

I would like to see someone who has ‘been there, done that’.

Frank Reich should be seriously considered if interested. His background as a QB doesn’t hurt. Gives him a chance to get some Irsay stink off of him.

Yeah, but he's not gonna be there right? Bigger question would be would Snyder refuse to allow it?

I know it won't happen, but he is a pretty damn good OC - probably better than we can find elsewhere...

The new coordinator will have a lot on his plate considering that Rivera won’t be much help.

Frank Reich should be seriously considered if interested. His background as a QB doesn’t hurt. Gives him a chance to get some Irsay stink off of him.

I think challenge is, no one who has 'been there, done that' is gonna wanna be here doing that, lol...

I think I would go looking at QB position coaches on teams that have hot offenses and success bringing along young QBs.

Brian Griese in SF and Matt Nagy in KC were the first two I looked at. Neither is a perfect fit but both have possibilities.

That’s what makes me think of Reich. I don’t see him getting another HC gig for next year. Maybe a year (minimum) to freshen up his resume yet stay active in the game would be desirable.

I'd be good with Reich. Just wondering if he would be willing to trade crazy for crazy, ya know? His pain is recent.

I’m on board with Reich. I would be surprised if he got a head coaching gig this year. And we all believe this could be a 1 year job. So this is his chance to prove he is still a bright offensive mind.

Eric Bieniemy is an interesting name. His time is coming . Although Reid calls the plays on most game days he definitely fits the bill . Not sure if he would step into the unknown that is redskin football though

Bieniemy wants a HC opportunity. He certainly isn't coming to work for retrograde Ron.

Ron seemingly is going to institute a three yards and a cloud of dust offensive system featuring Brian Robinson and that takes us back 30 years to the 1990's.

Brian Mitchell said that a head coach firing a coordinator when he is under pressure for the overall record is usually the LAST move he makes before he himself is replaced.

One feeling I got from hearing the discussion was that people are starting to sense that Ron is mentally checking out and going through the motions as he enters what is likely his last year in the NFL.

Don't expect any major deals or risk taking, this is all about trying to get to 9-8 or 10-7 and being able to walk away with a winning record that last year with his head held high.

Is Ron looking to get this team to 12 or 13 wins with his moves? No, too much risk trying to do that.

Besides, he doesn't have any more ex-Panthers to bring aboard in free agency.

He missed out on Christian McCaffrey when he was traded to SF.

That was the last jewel in the crown.

Bieniemy wants a HC opportunity. He certainly isn't coming to work for retrograde Ron.

Ron seemingly is going to institute a three yards and a cloud of dust offensive system featuring Brian Robinson and that takes us back 30 years to the 1990's.

Brian Mitchell said that a head coach firing a coordinator when he is under pressure for the overall record is usually the LAST move he makes before he himself is replaced.

One feeling I got from hearing the discussion was that people are starting to sense that Ron is mentally checking out and going through the motions as he enters what is likely his last year in the NFL.

Don't expect any major deals or risk taking, this is all about trying to get to 9-8 or 10-7 and being able to walk away with a winning record that last year with his head held high.

Is Ron looking to get this team to 12 or 13 wins with his moves? No, too much risk trying to do that.

Besides, he doesn't have any more ex-Panthers to bring aboard in free agency.

He missed out on Christian McCaffrey when he was traded to SF.

That was the last jewel in the crown.

I dont' agree with a handful of these opinions.

Bieniemy may WANT a HC job, but he's signed 1 year deals to stay in KC each of the last 2 years. The HC calls arent coming. Andy Reid is the known playcaller in KC so there may be a stigma with that where teams wonder if he can truly manage the offensive game plan. There are also reports that he's a terrible interviewee. He doesn't do it well.

This may be the 'perfect' opportunity for him to come in and actually RUN the offense Mon-Sun, KNOWING he's showcasing himself to knock off some of that negative stigma. He's also knowing he's not locking himself down.

This may not be true.. just hypotheticals that kind of make some sense. I also think this is exactly when Ron gets bold and looks for a guy to translate the offense. We've been running an offense that is 30 years behindt he times... he knows we need a change, or he wouldnt have made it. Whats he risking losing? He's going into a lame duck season on the brink of an ownership change. In all reality he has NOTHING to lose. I doubt he's a part of the football operations of a team again. He may stay in the NFL but more geared toward the personnel or business ops. Something less demanding. Again, my opinion but it would make a lot more sense to me than him trying to start with a new team as the head guy..

Those are good points but I’m not sure I buy Ron going bold all of a sudden. Rivera is not a bold risk-taker. He never has been. That’s why he immediately goes to the Carolina has-been well when he needs help. Not saying it can’t happen but skeptical. I also wonder if Andy Reid might not give up some or all playcalling duties to Bienemy vs him having to leave to get that experience. Bienemy may be even using the Washington opportunity to try and influence Reid on that front.

One other thing ST that might support the Bienemy rumor. One would really hope that Rivera doesn’t cut Scott Turner loose (no matter what one thinks of his performance) unless you had a plan that you are confident puts a better OC in place. Possible there have been conversations with someone specific and they already have the position filled unofficially.

If they did just fire Turner with no definite plan, pretty risky move given the situation.

Shula is connected to Carolina so it's absolutely possible Rivera taps that we'll.

The other thing to remember is there are only 32 OC positions in a given year... may only be 10 available, and only 4 of them does the OC call the plays. ANY OC job should be in demand regardless of the other nonsense. If Bieniemy comes in just to get fired after 2023 because of a new owner... he still gets his entirety of his contract, whether it be 1 year or 5.

That’s true. But we forget, most of these guys have wives, kids, etc… pulling up roots for a potential 1 year gig isn’t very attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.