• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 offseason camps - Rookie/OTAs - scroll back pages / tweets coming fast

We've had 25 years of hoping the next guy would do better. Norv was a bad HC, who was followed by 2 HOF coaches (1 who should not have gotten fired), and was succeeded by robiskie and Spurrier.

Last edited:
2 HOF coaches? Are you meaning Shottenheimer (he was after Norv, not before him)?

I'm not trying to elevate Norv Turner, I suffered through those years too. But my point is, he literally produced nearly the same results during his tenure as the coaches who succeeded him. I think that argues he might've been closer to 'average' than 'terrible' (especially since we're talking Gibbs for 4 of those years). Yeah, Gibbs got us to the playoffs one more time, but only with 9 wins. Turner got us to 9 wins in 1996 and were it not for a tie that went to OT against the Giants in '97, there was another potential Wildcard season. And he may well have gotten us 2 more wins in 2000 if he hadn't been fired.

Don't get me wrong - I was glad to see Norv gone. But he was a .500 coach, not a .300 one. He wasn't an incompetent coach as some here seem to want to label him.

Once a cowbum
Always a cowbum

Sorry to hijack the OTA/offseason thread - back to OTAs

There's not much talk really in general...I'm all for it

2 HOF coaches? Are you meaning Shottenheimer (he was after Norv, not before him)?

I'm not trying to elevate Norv Turner, I suffered through those years too. But my point is, he literally produced nearly the same results during his tenure as the coaches who succeeded him. I think that argues he might've been closer to 'average' than 'terrible' (especially since we're talking Gibbs for 4 of those years). Yeah, Gibbs got us to the playoffs one more time, but only with 9 wins. Turner got us to 9 wins in 1996 and were it not for a tie that went to OT against the Giants in '97, there was another potential Wildcard season. And he may well have gotten us 2 more wins in 2000 if he hadn't been fired.

Don't get me wrong - I was glad to see Norv gone. But he was a .500 coach, not a .300 one. He wasn't an incompetent coach as some here seem to want to label him.

yeah I'll edit it, was supposed to say 'who was followed by'

It's interesting that Rivera seemed to much more strongly state that it is a competition for the starting QB spot than maybe previously. My 'reasonable' self has said all along that they went out and got Fitzmagic and are paying him starter money... with all of that experience, he has to be the planned starter. But they also retained Heinicke on the strength of a game and a quarter of play and apparently have him ahead of Kyle Allen on the depth chart (whether that's performance or injury-based it's hard to say). I'm starting to wonder, despite all of the obvious 'edges' that Fitzmagic has, if Heinicke clearly outshines him between now and the season opener, if he couldn't steal the starter role? I wouldn't have said that was realistic 3 months ago, but from what I'm hearing, he has looked really good and has a chance especially since they have seen more than a few head-scratching INTs from Fitzmagic.

I think we will be much improved with either guy under center. My gut says we'll likely start the season with Fitzmagic but it's great that there appears to be a real competition and that Heinicke has picked up where he left off last season.

I've always thought Fitz magic ran out during seasons and he took a lot of big risks. I do think he's a great QB, but I wouldn't discourage Taylor at all by not letting him at least compete for the starting spot.

He's put on muscle, looks good so far in camp, and is clearly younger. He "might" be the future here for QB if he can string together a good season.

Allen seems like the odd man out to me. Injuries suck, and it's not his fault. But, you've got 2 guys competing ahead of you who look damn good and you had to sit and recover.

You guys probably remember that I am a Kyle Allen fan. I've said it before - he has a LOT more talent than he's given credit for and I really believe he will be a starter down the road for someone or at the very least will have a long career as a steady backup. He looked very efficient and confident before the injury. It's a shame he got hurt. I ordinarily argue against carrying 3 QBs but given our presumed starter is a geezer and both of the other QBs are coming off injuries, might be a good year to keep all 3 on the roster.

I definitely don't DISLIKE Allen at all. He just had such a small frame of work with us it was hard to judge.

Then Taylor put up that highlight play, Young running on the field, etc. It is just easier to remember that.

I am a 75% Fitz fan. I love his attitude and the fact he will sling it downfield. I just remember him also losing steam and the magic running out during seasons.

1623411838387.png

I think we all know there is going to be amazing and WTF was that! with Fitzmagic. I'll boldly state - if this offense can average 24 points a game, we'll have double-digit wins, because our defense is going to be ball-hawking and stingy. I think any of our QBs, especially with the beefed up weaponry and speed we have added, can accomplish that.

And Heinicke earned his spot at #2. It's just a shame that it ever came to that as I think last season could've been the one where Allen turned the corner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.