• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fred Davis & Trent Williams Suspended After Jets' Game

You guys have it backwards - Williams has been mediocre, but Davis has actually contributed to wins.

Chances are the Redskins will bring back both players as the club is just that short of talent.

The Redskins can't afford to stand on principle like the Steelers and just trade a former high pick like Santonio Holmes for a mid-round pick to make a statement.

Allen and Shanahan will say all the poltically correct things about redemption and embrace both Davis and Williams.

If one does go it will be Davis. One he is a free agent and was drafted by Cerrato. Second, he plays a position where replacements are more readily available.

Simple logic on this one fellas.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

OK, let me start this off by saying they were both wrong and deserve the punishment coming. But how beloved is Dexter Manley by the burgundy and gold still? and that guy was banned from the NFL for life!

Gibbs cut him after his third offense.

I was actually going to bring him up for that very reason.

They snuck them both out of the locker room before we had a chance to interview them. Can't blame them. Great PR move by the team there.

This is by far the dumbest thing I've heard of someone doing in quite some time.

Fansince it really isn't an issue of whether one agrees or disagrees with the illegality of weed. Rather, the issue is the rules/policies of your employer, set forth in advance BTW. Don't like it? That's fine, just find another employer.

That holds true regardless of the level of compensation. However the amounts these idiots are willing to risk is astounding to me. "OK, so I have the ability to make enough money in a decade or less such that I'll be set for life. All I have to do is stay clean for a few years until my career is over and then I can light up all I want. Forget dat, pass dat blunt!!!" Completely, totally, 110% :insane:

I agree with the general consensus that we make an example of Sleepy and try to salvage Dopey (Williams)...with future contracts that include morals clauses and annual bonuses instead of a lot of up-front $$.

sorry...I disagree 100% on the implementation.

1) nobody on this board knows how many times each lit up the bong. all you know is one did it less than the other.

2) if you're going to hue to a principle...you have to can both of them.

Personally....I don't think canning them will do much. they won't even be on the wires 24 hrs before some other teams pick them up. they are not a locker room distraction like so many other Redskins who should have been shown the door. the same dang things have been said for years in Redskin land (changing the culture...character guys, etc.)...and yet...here we are.

all I'm saying is...for a team that already severely lacks talent....they need to meet behind closed doors and get a good feel for what is going on. we had dumb arses running this team for a long, long time. now....we're talking about tubing a number one and a number two pick like so much driftwood. a team that sucks as bad as the Skins do can't be so cavalier. they need to do the due diligence to figure out if these two knuckleheads can be salvaged.

williams has four more years on his contract...davis is a FA next year. cooley is cooked and Paulson is no down field threat. we have no other viable LT. no matter how you look at it...relative to the rest of this sorry roster.....these two are young and have an upside. this is one where I vote, if at all possible, you take them aside, read them the riot act, put them on a short leash, and ensure the locker room takes over (as good team mates should) and set these guys on the o right course. I se that as viable. had this been done on a winning team making a final drive for the playoffs, I might look at it differently. but we're not and we need all the talent we can lay our hands on. the team needs to look at this carefully and decide whether these two guys can be set on a better course. not my call. not anyone else's either....IMO.

Shanahan will do what he knows is best for the team - and the two players.

One of them (Davis) is to stupid to survive, whether the team cuts their losses with him now, or his future is left in his own hands. He hasn't learned by now, I doubt he's capable of it. The other is an underachiever but still our best lineman. He *may* deserve another shot to show if he's capable of learning.

Either way, neither deserves all that hand-wringing imho. If we're putting our long-term hopes on guys like Williams and Davis, we're in big, big trouble to begin with. Like I said, I'd rather continue losing if winning means keeping slugs who ultimately hurt the team as much as they help it around.

chucking these guys is the same thing this team has done forever...basically...trading high draft picks for veterans who never produce and are soon gone. it leaves gaping holes in your roster where positions should be locked up 6-10 yrs. it sacrifices other positions to repair these. this team has got to stop shooting itself in the foot. so davis forgot to set his alarm clock. big eff'ing deal. before tearing more holes in the roster....the team needs to weigh all the positives/negatives carefully.

let Shanahan handle this. and back coach up.

Last edited by a moderator:
third offense...isnt that a lifelong ban from the NFL anyways?

I believe it was a full year. He played two more seasons after we let him go, but then he failed a fourth test and was done.

chucking these guys is the same thing this team has done forever...basically...trading high draft picks for veterans who never produce and are soon gone. it leaves gaping holes in your roster where positions should be locked up 6-10 yrs. it sacrifices other positions to repair these. this team has got to stop shooting itself in the foot. so davis forgot to set his alarm clock. big eff'ing deal. before tearing more holes in the roster....the team needs to weigh all the positives/negatives carefully.

let Shanahan handle this. and back coach up.

What are you talking about? No one is that upset about him sleeping in; hell, that's almost endearing to the point we all call him "Sleepy".

You can argue about legalizing marijuana (compelling arguments both ways) all you want, but the fact is that he has shown remarkably poor judgment. Stupifyingly poor judgment. The good news for us, I guess, is that he will most definitely NOT be expensive to resign. I can't imagine any team out there willing to throw Antonio Gates/Jason Witten money at this idiot.

So we should be able to get him cheap (relatively) and cut him quickly if he does anything else stupid.

Williams needs a come to Jesus (not Tebow) talk. As others have said, move his ass to RT if we have someone better at LT, and tell him to shut up.

Both are such monumental idiots, it really hurts my brain to think about.

What are you talking about? No one is that upset about him sleeping in; hell, that's almost endearing to the point we all call him "Sleepy".

You can argue about legalizing marijuana (compelling arguments both ways) all you want, but the fact is that he has shown remarkably poor judgment. Stupifyingly poor judgment. The good news for us, I guess, is that he will most definitely NOT be expensive to resign. I can't imagine any team out there willing to throw Antonio Gates/Jason Witten money at this idiot.

So we should be able to get him cheap (relatively) and cut him quickly if he does anything else stupid.

Williams needs a come to Jesus (not Tebow) talk. As others have said, move his ass to RT if we have someone better at LT, and tell him to shut up.

Both are such monumental idiots, it really hurts my brain to think about.

calm down skippy.

yea..I get it..after most of you spent the better part of the last two years slamming just about everyone on the team....going after these two is at least consistent....punctuated by ocassional laughable "but I'm a true fan and would never root against the home team". who the F are you guys kidding? what is this...the tap water theory of fandom?

btw..I don' support legalizing pot...once again...your proclivity to extemporize always moves you from reasonable land to silly ville. I implied that as one rank orders offenses...this falls toward the bottom of the list...not the top.

I have not argued "keep these guys". Several points have been made:

- there are competing incentives here...including managing the roster. this team has done this so poorly in the past we are subjected to what we have to watch every Sunday. Independen tof the offense...you have to weigh the impact of tubing another first round and second round pick on a roster that eats it when it comes to talent. the "let's stretch the rebuild another 5 years" philosophy appeals more to some than others.

- the coaching staff needs to do its own cost/benefit analysis on what it is trying to achieve, what the timeline is, where value is, what the locker room can do, whether these players can be redeemed, the impact of the player actions on a spectacular 4-8 outfit....etc...etc. I'm not saying keep them...I'm saying none of you have a friggin clue on the details. it's all kneejerk emotionalism. I prefer a rational process be applied and will live with whatever the coaching staff decides.

- the player interests do play into this. you don't want to ruin these guys if there is some path forward that benefits them (in terms of changing their paths) and the team. Geez why does this strike me as the polar opposite of how we stake oursleves on Asylum? I don't personally believe the offense merits that. you are free to believe otherwise.

pegging out the excessively stupid meter is only one consideration in all of this.

depth of current discussion: :toilet:

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it's kneejerk. We're fans. And this is MUCH more important than the garbage we debate in the Assylum. Duh.

:)

I think a rational, deliberate process is merited as well. I just question the judgment of both of these clowns. And I have to wonder if I want someone with the piss poor judgment TW is showing defending our newly-drafted (fingers-crossed) rookie QB next year. He's a dope, but he will be covering (probably) our prized rookie's blind side? Ehhh....

That's all I'm saying. There are some positions on the team that can overcome poor judgment; others can't. Most football guys will tell you that Offensive Linemen are generally the smartest guys on the team. TW ain't living up to that standard, that's for sure.

Some rumors on Twitter floating around today that Bruce Allen fought to have Davis's suspension reduced from a full year to four months. If that is true, pretty good indication that Davis will be back. Otherwise, why would Bruce bother?

Some rumors on Twitter floating around today that Bruce Allen fought to have Davis's suspension reduced from a full year to four months. If that is true, pretty good indication that Davis will be back. Otherwise, why would Bruce bother?
To show all the players that he has their back, and hope against hope, that our two retards can grasp it as well.

We all have our opinions on what should be done with Davis and Williams. My concern is what the rest of the team thinks. Do they want them back? Do they feel they can count on them? Next time it’s a year.

What impact will they have on the locker room next season?

We all have our opinions on what should be done with Davis and Williams. My concern is what the rest of the team thinks. Do they want them back? Do they feel they can count on them? Next time it’s a year.

What impact will they have on the locker room next season?

I agree! whole lotta issues to consider.

Heard this on the post game show after the Jets game.. driving out of FedEx field, turned an already-long drive due to the loss to an angry one. One word for both of these guys: Stupid. I love my skins, but don't hurt the team if you plan on being around.

Of course it's kneejerk. We're fans. And this is MUCH more important than the garbage we debate in the Assylum. Duh.

:)

I think a rational, deliberate process is merited as well. I just question the judgment of both of these clowns. And I have to wonder if I want someone with the piss poor judgment TW is showing defending our newly-drafted (fingers-crossed) rookie QB next year. He's a dope, but he will be covering (probably) our prized rookie's blind side? Ehhh....

That's all I'm saying. There are some positions on the team that can overcome poor judgment; others can't. Most football guys will tell you that Offensive Linemen are generally the smartest guys on the team. TW ain't living up to that standard, that's for sure.

oi..this was painful! I agree 1000% - I was...errrrr....upset with these guys and..along with the rest of you thought "you f'ing idiots. all the advantages and you something braindead and selfish like this?"

my mindset is that this happens a lot in the NFL...it's a business.....let the coaches/business types decide what is best. I can live with whatever they decide...though I absolutley hate seeing this team continually sef-destructing/wasting its resources.

I'm not sure how this works, but i would imagine the team was notified after the first and second violation. Can anyone seriously say you keep these guys around after a third time? What is Shanahan supposed to say to them; Are you guys going to smoke pot again for the fourth time? Well, ofcourse they are.

I know it hurts our team DEEPLY, but it would be insane not to think this isn't going to happen again. I say we ditch Davis and use Williams as trade bait(hopefully for a QB) only because we have him under contract for years to come. I'm not talking about giving him away for nothing, but if we get a fair deal then he should be out the door also. If we don't and he manages to keep clean then good for him and us, but i'll go on record now and say it'll never happen.

There are just somethings when running a franchise or any business that you shouldn't have to deal with and showing up for work is one of them. Especially a franchise you're trying to rebuild. Not taking any action with these two would be just another perfect example of why this franchise continues to suck.

If these 2 were potential HOF'ers then i might reconsider, but neither of these guys are irreplaceable.

go deep...half of me agrees...the other half says "when you're in a deep hole...the first thing to do is stop digging deeper"

From the Redskins themselves:

STATEMENT BY AN NFL SPOKESPERSON:

Fred Davis and Trent Williams of the Washington Redskins have been suspended without pay for the team’s next four games for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

Their suspensions begin immediately. They will be eligible to return to the Redskins’ active roster on Monday, January 2 following the team’s January 1 game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.