• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fred Davis & Trent Williams Suspended After Jets' Game

If we were in first place in the division, and these two were suspended the rest of the year, people would be calling for their heads.

I'm not exactly sure how you change the culture. Sure, these are often times young kids who believe smoking pot isn't so bad. But in the big picture, they just hurt their team, and probably cost themselves a lot of money going forward.

The thing that is really depressing is that you can basically believe everything bad that you read about the Redskins. I recall one player that left our team saying that the players put partying over trying to win football games. I didn't want to believe it....but apparently he was right.

Then the media laughed at Shanny for believing Grossman and Beck were decent QBs. Skins fans all over were furious, calling the media stupid. Shanny staked his reputation that they were good QBs. Again.....the media was right.

He may just need to cut/release one of these players tomorrow morning to send a message.....that the players on this team need to be serious. I suppose it would have to be Davis--as painful as that would be.

Notice how the Bradys and Fletchers of the league never get caught being this stupid? We need more of them.....and less of the dead weight.

I have come off the "Cut them immediately" ledge, but if Shanny wants to win here, he needs to send a serious message to them and the team. This kind of bull**** has to stop now. Can they be suspended without pay? I think missing a gamecheck or two might get some attention.

Well, obviously given Williams' contract and draft position at LT, the team SHOULD try and work with him and keep him.

Davis on the other hand plays a position where veterans or mid round picks are available who can come in and contribute, the loss of a TE is not going to retard the long-term development of the franchise.

A lot of good points. It's true that the only reason we all but yawn at this kind of news is that the Redskins are NFL irrelevants. I would cut both their asses. Sorry. I'd rather have a team of guys who give a damn, put team over personal recreation, and are intelligent enough to know this kind of stuff hurts not only them as individuals, but the team, and is unacceptable.

Neither of these two knuckleheads deserve to be a Redskin.

Yeah, that's the initial gut reaction. But again, I see Williams and Davis in a different light. Davis is 26 years old and has been in the NFL for 4 seasons and has been very slow to mature.

Trent Williams is a younger guy who I would think as a GM I would give more time for the staff to work with him.

Of course business considerations factor into some of this, but also the fact Williams plays a position where it is very difficult to find capable players.

With the acquisition of a first class wide receiver in free agency or the draft, the loss of a Davis doesn't loom large.

Having to find a LT and develop him or pay him in free agency, seems like a decision to make in 2013 after Williams gets one more season to redeem himself.

I'm not arguing it's the smart thing to do. But if I were running a front office, I just couldn't tolerate this kind of crap. I'd rather lose with the good guys than win with slugs like these two.

Playing off of what Bulldog says - I would have Trent go before the entire team and apologize to them. To send a message, don't give Fred the same chance. He messed up on other occasions and has no more chances.

Tender Fred for a 5th rounder and get something for him in the offseason. If nothing happens, suspend him for the preseason and cut him just prior to the season opener. Those actions will send a message.

Broken record much Ax? :)
Eh, you just like the song.

Kinda like our Shortbus rejects, Williams and Davis, who don't like the rules.

I agree, cut both their asses.

Like that tune better, huh? :)

And let's not forget, a lot of Davis' production has come in garbage time on a bad team.

You see guys like Davis in the NBA all the time on bad teams who put up stats only because they are the sole game in town.

On a team like the Saints or Patriots, Fred Davis is the backup tight end.

Yeah, that's the initial gut reaction. But again, I see Williams and Davis in a different light. Davis is 26 years old and has been in the NFL for 4 seasons and has been very slow to mature.

Trent Williams is a younger guy who I would think as a GM I would give more time for the staff to work with him.

Of course business considerations factor into some of this, but also the fact Williams plays a position where it is very difficult to find capable players.

With the acquisition of a first class wide receiver in free agency or the draft, the loss of a Davis doesn't loom large.

Having to find a LT and develop him or pay him in free agency, seems like a decision to make in 2013 after Williams gets one more season to redeem himself.

Williams came to the team with a reputation for being lazy. Lazy, stoned and too ****ing stupid to not to get busted in a drug test is something we don't need

This season is done. Let both of them go

I haven't seen any comments from Shanahan after the game yet, but I believe standing up and saying "Fred Davis is no longer a part of this team" might go a long way in turning this culture around.

On postgame show Shanahan was asked about the suspensions. He said did not know anything about it, but if so would comment later.
Like others I would send both packing. It is there choice to use drugs. Problem is they are hurting their teammates as well.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Different scenarios for different players. Like many have stated, Davis should be cut loose...now! Williams should be given his last chance. Depending on how well Willie Smith plays, unless they play Locklear the rest of the way, maybe even consider moving TW to RT for good.

I haven't seen any comments from Shanahan after the game yet, but I believe standing up and saying "Fred Davis is no longer a part of this team" might go a long way in turning this culture around.

It could also be a huge distraction. I don't think it will happen. If this team had a decent QB and had a shot at the playoffs THIS season, I wonder how many of you would be calling for their heads?

Sad thing is had this team been fighting for playoffs what they would have hurt their teammates worse
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It could also be a huge distraction. I don't think it will happen. If this team had a decent QB and had a shot at the playoffs THIS season, I wonder how many of you would be calling for their heads?

I can only speak for myself, but I would be even more upset if we were in first place right now, and these two morons jeopardized everything.

And like a poster said earlier, it isn't like Fred Davis is the best TE in the game--not even close. He can be replaced pretty easily. Just as he replaced Cooley.

The team culture is apparently, and unfortunately, still a joke. From McNabb coming here and half-assing it, to these three brain surgeons(let's not forget that Laron Landry is now being rumored to have failed a drug test), the "let's just get a paycheck in DC" mentality has to be crushed.

If you want to see a real TE, turn on the tv and watch Jimmy Graham. Or Gronk, or Hernandez. Or many others.

So how do you crush that mentality? Easier said than done, I think. I think a really strong statement needs to be made, perhaps by cutting Sleepy, or at least severely disciplining him.

So how do you crush that mentality? Easier said than done, I think. I think a really strong statement needs to be made, perhaps by cutting Sleepy, or at least severely disciplining him.

It has to start at the top. And because of that, I'm not sure if it can ever be totally fixed.

A very smart person once told me that the old Skins used to love JKC. They would play for him--risk their bodies and do anything to win for that guy. How many really want to go out there and "win one for Dan?"

The incompetence that the players have seen here for so many years--from Vinny, to Dan making decisions, to players getting special treatment to so many other awful decisions is just too poisonous to overcome. It's no wonder that many have come to DC to just collect paychecks. There has never been a lot of accountability.

Hopefully some of that has changed. I hope it has. But then you have to really wonder just how sane Shanny still is, and if in fact, the game is passing him by. It's pretty obvious with these suspensions, that a lot of work still needs to be done.

I would start by cutting Fred Davis the second they offficially receive the news from the league.

5 seconds later, I would then announce that Danny Smith is no longer a part of the organization. Enough of accepting sucking around here. Cut the losers, and try to replace them with winners.

Tough love, huh? I can see that, and don't really disagree with any of it. I think this is actually a fairly important moment for Mike Shanahan's Redskins tenure. Could end up being fairly defining, really. And I am endlessly curious to see how he will handle it.

Looks like the rest of the year

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/4/report-redskins-davis-williams-get-4-game-suspensi/

The seasons of two offensive stalwarts for the Washington Redskins likely came to an unceremonious end Sunday after multiple reports said tight end Fred Davis and left tackle Trent Williams would be suspended for the season’s final four games because of failed tests for recreational drugs.

The players dressed in the coaches’ locker room and security whisked them from FexEx Field.

“Everybody knows it’s illegal,” linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. “It’s been like that since I’ve been in the league, so everybody has to be held accountable under the rules.”

Two attendants wearing blue plastic gloves emptied Davis' and Williams' lockers. One fished a gray beanie from next to Williams' open playbook and jogged out of the locker room.

Neither player was available for comment.

SI.com first reported the suspensions in a tweet at 1:04 p.m. Sunday. According to the report, Davis and Williams were able to play against the New York Jets on Sunday because the NFL had not notified them of the suspensions in writing.

SI.com reported Davis and Williams tested positive for marijuana during the season — their third failed test — but their suspensions were cut down as part of a post-lockout deal between the NFL and NFL Players Association.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.