• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fred Davis & Trent Williams Suspended After Jets' Game

The sad part is, the Redskins have still not been eliminated from the playoffs! We are fighting for a playoff spot! :rotflmao:

Either way, cut Davis and make Trent see he is on thin ice and his starting LT spot is gone, he's now an RT.

This is the craziest part of it, to put just how serious this is into perspective. From the link I posted in the third post in this thread:

Due to repeated violations of the league's substance-abuse policy, Williams and Davis were set to be suspended for one year. But the NFL and the NFLPA have negotiated a settlement that reduces the suspension to four games, assuming each player agrees to that.

Williams and Davis not only tested positive during the approximately 30-day "grace period" the league and the union negotiated to immediately follow the end of the lockout, but have tested positive more than once since the end of that grace period for recreational -- i.e., not performance-enhancing -- drugs.

That's three times each, in this season alone.

In any other season, these morons would be suspended for the next year. It's only because of the unique nature of this season that they had it reduced to four games.

Now....if you are my boss, and you are paying me $60 million(Trent Williams), I owe it to you to abide by the rules of the league, and to stay drug free. And I don't? That's a very expensive slap in the face. It's not too different from stealing when you think about it.

1- I don't like the marijuana testing, they dont test coaches or gms for recreational drugs and they dont enhance performance. tbh id rather have a guy who smokes weed than a guy who gets drunk every day.

2-these 2 are retards they were given multiple chances the team should suspend them without pay.

3-This is what happens when you draft out of need instead of the best fit and talent, we were desperate for an elite LT and gambled with a top 5 pick instead of going after a guy who was a sure bet. we ignored warning flags and now we pay the piper, make a RT and get a good LT, or cut him.

And let's not forget, a lot of Davis' production has come in garbage time on a bad team.

You see guys like Davis in the NBA all the time on bad teams who put up stats only because they are the sole game in town.

On a team like the Saints or Patriots, Fred Davis is the backup tight end.

Gotta call you out on this - Fred has done better in wins than in losses (14.9 YPC compared to 12.8, 2 TDs compared to 1), and has been instrumental in those victories. His stats in losses are better, no doubt, but that's because we've had 8 of them.

He's also got 2 TDs and a 14.6 YPC in the first half compared to 1 TD and 12.9 YPC in the 2nd.

let's put this in perspective gents:

1) It's pot....not child molestation or heroin. You got a couple 20 somethings living in a society that has basically legalized pot in states like CA.

2) We haven't heard their stories yet.

3) The team has to have a consistent policy. You can't keep one player and shed the other for the same offense.

4) They do deserve significant penalties......not sure I'd can them....not yet anyway. The team needs to determine whether these are head cases who are beyond redemption, cancers in the locker room, non-performers, etc., etc. These guys ARE part of the talent base that so many of you keep harping about developing. well.....figure out first where the problem lies and possible paths forward (which will include cutting). make a decision based on multiple factors and interests.......including the interests of the two players (i.e., maybe they need to be shocked into understanding the risks they are taking with their futures).

I'm not sure what their contract statuses (stati??) are, but if we have them for more than through the end of the season, and they're suspended anyway, why not at least try to trade them and get some value for them rather than just cutting them?

The point will still be made that any player committing these offenses won't be a part of the team, and you might still get something for them rather than the nothing you get if you just cut them.

At the very least, these guys have shown that they are indeed, stupid. I mean, sit in your own excrement, playing with it, and sticking your fingers in your mouth, STUPID. Mental midgets. They'd have to stand tipped toed on top of a 40ft ladder just to rub Dumb & Dumber on the bottom of the foot.

Who gives a damn if it was pot, steroids, or Bisquick.

Besides, we've won how many games, with them?

If we can somehow get something for them, fine. But at the end of it all, we would instantly become a smarter team, without them.

Addition, by subtraction.

Well, getting rid of these two sets us back on offense quite a bit. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, but man, it's gonna sting.

How infuriatingly stupid of them.

3-This is what happens when you draft out of need instead of the best fit and talent, we were desperate for an elite LT and gambled with a top 5 pick instead of going after a guy who was a sure bet. we ignored warning flags and now we pay the piper, make a RT and get a good LT, or cut him.

What are you talking about? Who would have been a better fit that year? Okung? Who can't stay healthy? TW hasn't been great, certainly playing below expectations so far, but he has shown flashes, such as the last three games for instance, where he pretty much dominated Ware, Clemons and Rex Ryan's blitzes.

And Fred Davis is the ultimate pick of BPA, need be damned. If anything, I would argue he is an excellent example of why you SHOULD draft for need sometimes.

Davis is expendable, TW is not. If there is a way to discipline them without pay, we need to do THAT. Immediately. If there is no way to do that, we need to consider cutting Sleepy. And I respectfully disagree Henry, Davis wouldn't set us back that much. Paulsen has looked really good in limited playing time, and we were considering moving Sellars to TE anyway, or we may resign D Byrd to the roster spot. Let's see what we can expect without him over the next 4 games before we decide how good he is.

Davis is expendable, TW is not. If there is a way to discipline them without pay, we need to do THAT. Immediately. If there is no way to do that, we need to consider cutting Sleepy. And I respectfully disagree Henry, Davis wouldn't set us back that much. Paulsen has looked really good in limited playing time, and we were considering moving Sellars to TE anyway, or we may resign D Byrd to the roster spot. Let's see what we can expect without him over the next 4 games before we decide how good he is.

With Davis we are set at TE for the next 5+ years. Without him we're not. It's that simple. Given the holes we still have to fill on this team, it would be really great if we didn't have to add that one to the list. (And Paulsen's blocking yesterday was atrocious. I hope he improves, but he's not a starter.)

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't let these guys go. Those kind of decisions are above my pay grade. :) What I do know is that I don't agree with this 'we lose with them so we don't need them' kinda talk. Williams and Davis are two of our best players on offense, if not the best two. Letting them go is gonna hurt. A lot.

Which makes what they've done that much more infuriating.

With Davis we are set at TE for the next 5+ years. Without him we're not. It's that simple. Given the holes we still have to fill on this team, it would be really great if we didn't have to add that one to the list. (And Paulsen's blocking yesterday was atrocious. I hope he improves, but he's not a starter.)

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't let these guys go. Those kind of decisions are above my pay grade. :) What I do know is that I don't agree with this 'we lose with them so we don't need them' kinda talk. Williams and Davis are two of our best players on offense, if not the best two. Letting them go is gonna hurt. A lot.

Which makes what they've done that much more infuriating.

exactly.

I dealt with this in the military. some guys you simply shed right away. others have value and this complicates the decision process:

- what's the process for decision-making

- how egregious is the offense

- is the miscreant salvageable

- what has happened in other cases (don't create conditions for lawsuits, EEO complaints, etc.)

- what's the impact on moral

- how valuable are the skillsets

- what impacts are there on the organization

- what impacts are there on the individual's future.

Accountability is crtical...as is sending a message to the rest of the team - no argument there. I'm just arguiing that there's more to it than a kneejerk reaction. We saw with Ricky Williams that the only thing that happens is some other team picks up the player - including quality organizations like the Ravens. this will be interesting......what would be your position had it been Rak and Kerrigan? Just a hypothetical.

Well, it's no wonder Davis has struggled to get on the field, and stay there, since he was drafted. He is obviously unintelligent. Stupid. Retarded. Brain dead. Pick one.

Williams now looks to be, just as smart. He may be our best lineman, but how is that saying much? He wouldn't be guaranteed to make the 2nd string here in the 80's.

****'em both.

It's simple management, FS. Or, as I like to call it, the crazy/hot scale. When you're dating a woman, the hotter she is, the more crazy you can put up with. But there comes that point when the crazy outweighs the hot and it just isn't worth it anymore.

I've had to fire big producers because they just weren't worth the headache after a while. In fact, you're big producers are often the ones who are the hardest to manage for a variety of reasons.

I just happen to disagree that Fred is indispensible. I think Trent is much more valuable to the team than Fred. I say fine them both (big fine, don't dick around with it), and see how the team plays without them the rest of the year. THEN decide who is expendable if you feel the need to cut someone.

Who gives a damn if it was pot, steroids, or Bisquick.

I'm sorry, Bruce. These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_94bxAHl0&feature=related[/media]

It's simple management, FS. Or, as I like to call it, the crazy/hot scale. When you're dating a woman, the hotter she is, the more crazy you can put up with. But there comes that point when the crazy outweighs the hot and it just isn't worth it anymore.

I've had to fire big producers because they just weren't worth the headache after a while. In fact, you're big producers are often the ones who are the hardest to manage for a variety of reasons.

I just happen to disagree that Fred is indispensible. I think Trent is much more valuable to the team than Fred. I say fine them both (big fine, don't dick around with it), and see how the team plays without them the rest of the year. THEN decide who is expendable if you feel the need to cut someone.

Goal...I happen to agree with you. All I'm saying is that management needs to think this through carefully and not just kneejerk its way through.

Goal...I happen to agree with you. All I'm saying is that management needs to think this through carefully and not just kneejerk its way through.
They've had to have known about this for months. Whatever they decide has surely been thought through. I'm sure they had a plan for whatever scenario played out. These two retards have caused more damage to the team now, than any good they might have contributed, to date.

Neither is irreplaceable. Be nice if we could get some of their bonuses back. Along with any draft picks we could acquire, and send them on their way. Their too dumb to be of any use.

I'm in agreement with fansince on this one. There are too many variables in operation to succumb to what would probably an emotionally satisfying but potentially counterproductive gut reaction. A lot of upside/downside evaluations need to be made in order to come to an optimal decision.

fs62, I don't think this is a knee jerk from what I have been reading. These guys tested positive on multiple occasions. Apparently, Davis is one positive away from a year long suspension.

Davis has been inconsistent. He excels and regresses. He has not seemed to get over the youthful indiscretion hump. With the amount of rookie TE's having stellar years, he is expendable. Dump him!

As for Trent, he is younger, has not been reported to have as many infractions as Sleepy so he gets one last chance. But it's time to use this situation to leverage him into the RT position and draft another LT this year.

This is by far the dumbest thing I've heard of someone doing in quite some time.

Fansince it really isn't an issue of whether one agrees or disagrees with the illegality of weed. Rather, the issue is the rules/policies of your employer, set forth in advance BTW. Don't like it? That's fine, just find another employer.

That holds true regardless of the level of compensation. However the amounts these idiots are willing to risk is astounding to me. "OK, so I have the ability to make enough money in a decade or less such that I'll be set for life. All I have to do is stay clean for a few years until my career is over and then I can light up all I want. Forget dat, pass dat blunt!!!" Completely, totally, 110% :insane:

I agree with the general consensus that we make an example of Sleepy and try to salvage Dopey (Williams)...with future contracts that include morals clauses and annual bonuses instead of a lot of up-front $$.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.