• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WP: The Fix is In - Beck Is The Starting QB

Can't wait to see what you guys have to say if Beck does a Drew Brees impression Friday night and takes the offense up and down the field.

Actually, lemme ask it now.

If he lights it up, will you say "It's just preseason?"

What about if he sucks?

If he lights it up against the Colts, it will be different than what I have seen. I will have to defer to at least a 2nd game before I buy into the hype. If he sucks, it will support what I have seen and read about him from camp. At least with Rex, I have something to go on besides his one pre-season game. He has always had glimpses of quality play, usually smothered by idiotic decisions, but we know he is serviceable at least.

I personally think we'll be jumping between the two during the season. one hasn't played much...the other has known flaws. not a prescription for consistent success.

btw...I would like to see RG "fixed"...in a manner of speaking!!!

If he lights it up against the Colts, it will be different than what I have seen. I will have to defer to at least a 2nd game before I buy into the hype. If he sucks, it will support what I have seen and read about him from camp. At least with Rex, I have something to go on besides his one pre-season game. He has always had glimpses of quality play, usually smothered by idiotic decisions, but we know he is serviceable at least.

cmon noe...I don't happen to believe either one is the answer...but a one game audition? after RG had 4 games last season and last weeks pretend game?

cmon noe...I don't happen to believe either one is the answer...but a one game audition? after RG had 4 games last season and last weeks pretend game?

That's why I said at least a 2nd game since there is no other barometer.

From Don Banks at SI;

• Here's an astounding statistic that probably won't help Redskins fans relax regarding the team's quarterback depth chart: Since the end of the 2007 season, Rex Grossman, John Beck and Kellen Clemens have combined to start just five games and attempt 237 passes in regular season action. For all three Redskins quarterbacks, their most recent significant chunk of playing time came in 2007, four long years ago.

-- All four of Beck's NFL starts, and all five games he has played in, came in 2007 in Miami.

-- Grossman has made just four starts since 2007, with only 204 pass attempts in the three seasons of 2008-2010.

-- Clemens made eight of his nine career starts in 2007 with the Jets, and has attempted just 33 regular season passes since then.

To repeat, that was 2007, the year the Patriots fell short in a bid for 19-0, and the season a resurgent Brett Favre led the Packers into the NFC title game against the Giants. Come to think of it, that was at least four Favre retirements ago.

• I don't know if Beck really is the answer at quarterback in Washington, but I left Redskins camp last week believing that Mike and Kyle Shanahan believe he is. Grossman won't win the starting job unless Beck falls flat on his face this preseason, and Beck will get his candidacy fully underway with this week's start at Indianapolis. Make no mistake: Beck will win the starting job if it's even remotely close. That much is clear after listening to Mike Shanahan rave about the ex-BYU standout.

"I'm not even worried about the quarterback position,'' Mike Shanahan said last week, after a morning practice session in which Beck was limited by a groin strain. "I think it's funny (meaning the doubts), because I know the guy can play. I don't even question that. I know [Beck] can play. John will be fine. He'll play and he'll be a good player, because he's athlete, because he can anticipate throws, and he's extremely bright. I watched him for a year, and I had him as my top (collegiate quarterback) coming out (in 2007). He can do it all. The guy just has never really had a chance in pro football. He hasn't played.''

That's kind of the point, but Shanahan is determined to provide Beck that opportunity. You get the sense Shanahan sees Beck as a difference maker, while Grossman is viewed as a very serviceable quarterback you can win with, providing he has a quality supporting cast. If anything, the Shanahans are so confident in Beck that they're trying not to build him up too much, so his play can do all the talking.

Beck knows enough about how the NFL works to know having someone who believes in you and gives you an opportunity is about 70 percent of the equation. And four years after he got a first chance with a horrible 1-15 Dolphins team, he has his long-awaited second chance in Washington.

"I've always believed in myself, but no one knows all that stuff that really went on in Miami,'' Beck told me. "Everybody wants to have their own opinion about what they think happened, but nobody but me and the people who were there really know what happened. So I've held onto that belief, worked hard, and hoped someone else would believe the same way.

"I didn't know who it was going to be or when it was going to come, but I felt like somewhere down the road somebody would be like, 'Hey, I still think this guy can do it.' I feel like I'm in that situation right now, and this is the good opportunity I've waited for.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...8/17/snaps.judgments/index.html#ixzz1VJ1fKgcN

I just hope nobody's expecting Beck to be a polished, finished product out of the gate.

The Shan's clearly think he's going to be solid. What they can't know, no one can, is how long it will take to get there.

Know what I DO know? The Shan's will be more patient than any fan. I think the average fan will give him, say, 2 drives Friday night. If he isn't lighting it up by then, the pitchfork crowd will be marshalling in town square. :)

nice post Goal! this para says it all for me:

"That's kind of the point, but Shanahan is determined to provide Beck that opportunity. You get the sense Shanahan sees Beck as a difference maker, while Grossman is viewed as a very serviceable quarterback you can win with, providing he has a quality supporting cast. If anything, the Shanahans are so confident in Beck that they're trying not to build him up too much, so his play can do all the talking."

I just hope nobody's expecting Beck to be a polished, finished product out of the gate.

The Shan's clearly think he's going to be solid. What they can't know, no one can, is how long it will take to get there.

Know what I DO know? The Shan's will be more patient than any fan. I think the average fan will give him, say, 2 drives Friday night. If he isn't lighting it up by then, the pitchfork crowd will be marshalling in town square. :)

why do you think that? no one was heckling Clemens after his lukewarm start. everyone knows that we are in a 2 yr rebuild. everyone knows RG is not the long-term answer. no one knows what Beck can do. give the 3-4 games RG had and see if he can carry the load. if not.......end Beck's career....grin & bear an RG season and then draft/trade for a real QB next off season.

lighting it up against the colts isnt exactly hard to do either. its not like theyre known for a stellar D and they lost Bob "ImaBust" Sanders.

when was the last time the Skins lit up a team? everyone will be happy if this happens. I don't think it will cuz KS will still be tinkering with the more conservative piece parts of the offense.

anywho....you're right.....the Colts have been 4-24 in preseason games into the past. they don't care as much about preseason so any results will have to be treated with the same judgment as the Steeler win against a team that did not gameplan.

See, to me, all that "no one knows what went on" business is a horrible indicator. It puts him right up there w/ Soup (Campbell, not Chunky) for inability to take responsibility for your own actions.

I want to be optimistic about Beck's promise... but I keep seeing this giant chip on his shoulder - and that will tilt your aim.

Grossman seems to be the only 'Skins QB in recent memory, besides Collins, who seems to have his head on straight. And that's probably just denial!

why do you think that? no one was heckling Clemens after his lukewarm start. everyone knows that we are in a 2 yr rebuild. everyone knows RG is not the long-term answer. no one knows what Beck can do. give the 3-4 games RG had and see if he can carry the load. if not.......end Beck's career....grin & bear an RG season and then draft/trade for a real QB next off season.
I think that because of the evidence on every Redskins message board, Al. Including this one.

As to Clemens....not a sound comparison. Clemens is no one's pet project or projected starting candidate. He's a 3rd stringer brought here to be a 3rd stringer.

"Everyone" does not "know" RG is not the answer. Based on what we've see of him in this offense, he just might be on HIS way to being pretty damn serviceable. You and many others have written him off. I am keeping an open mind based on what I've seen of him in B&G so far.

You've also predetermined Beck will fail (is that's unfair, I apologize, just seems to me I've seen a lot of "it won't happen" from ya in other poats). Based on I know not what. I'm going to watch fascinated to see what it is that the Shan's have seen. For as long as it takes for the drama to play out. Might be 3-4 games as you predict. Might be a whole lot longer if the Shan's prove to have a bit better eye for QB talent than, say ... you. :)

OM...serviceable is not what is needed. frankly...were I at the games......first game he fumbles on a rollout or throws a dumb pick...I'm booing his arse off. you know that is in the cards also.

If he isn't lighting it up by then, the pitchfork crowd will be marshalling in town square. :)

Und riot is und ugly ding
Universal+Frankenstein+-+angry+mob.jpg

They have yet to invent the QB who did not fumble on a rollout or throw a dumb pick.

Fact.

"Serviceable" is a subjective term. If he is just good enough to help lead the team back to respectability, that's good enough at this point. He doesn't have to be Unitas. He just has to get the job done.

Give him chance, Al. We aren't the Bears. It isn't 3 years ago. The man has played well here, in limited opportunities, with a revolving door of questionable talent around him.

Of course, he IS going up against John Beck. Tall order. :cool:

OM..I have seen enough of him. I already know what he can do...and can't do. he's not mobile, he coughs it up under pressure......his passing game is adequate. his big advantage is familiarity with the system. in other contexts that would be a difference maker...but for a team that is rebuilding? nope. now is the time to find out what we have and jettison what doesn't work. I suffer no illusions whatsoever that RG will not be on the roster 2 seasons from now. My preference is to give Beck every chance...the same 5 games RG had...and if he doesn't cut it. get rid of him...afterall...he couldn't beat out Rex Grossman - a QB no other team in the league had an interest in!

Al, I share your apprehension for Grossman, at least some of it. The only caveat that I will add is that perhaps, perhaps, this is a good fit for Rex system-wise. All the time I hear the experts acknowledge that system plays a HUGE role in the success and failure of draft picks, and yet they (and we) seem to forget that when we are evaluating them.

It could be that Kyle's system fits Rex really, really well. That is possible. Perhaps Kyle/Mike see that Beck is an even better fit. I don't know. All I'm sayin' is that maybe Rex can play very, very well in this system because the system fits his skill sets.

Having said all of that, the Shanahans lost a lot of credibility with me last (cause you know, they care a lot about what I think) with the McNacle. I will be quite unhappy if Beck stinks it up and Grossman is as inconsistent as he always has been on other teams.

OM..I have seen enough of him. I already know what he can do...and can't do. he's not mobile, he coughs it up under pressure......his passing game is adequate. his big advantage is familiarity with the system. in other contexts that would be a difference maker...but for a team that is rebuilding? nope. now is the time to find out what we have and jettison what doesn't work. I suffer no illusions whatsoever that RG will not be on the roster 2 seasons from now. My preference is to give Beck every chance...the same 5 games RG had...and if he doesn't cut it. get rid of him...afterall...he couldn't beat out Rex Grossman - a QB no other team in the league had an interest in!
I'll keep repeating myself too. :)

You know what Grossman can do, or you've seen what he HAS done and figure it's a closed circuit? Do you allow for the possibility some of his earlier struggles might be least at partly due to the support he did/did not have? Or the potential for growth/improvement with experience? Or for a better system more suited to a certain skill set? Some combinations thereof? Some other unmentioned factor? Anything?

Or is he just Rex Grossman, former Bears QB, and that's all there is to it?

Last edited:
http://www.nfl.com/player/jakeplummer/2502499/profile

Interestingly, since we're on the subject of whether or not a leaopard can change it's spots ...

Jake Plummer spent six years in Arizona. Best season QBR? 79.1. Average QBR over those 6 seasons? 68.3.

His three full seasons in the Shan system in Denver? 91.2, 84.5, 90.2.

Scientific proof Grossman could do the butterfly thing under Shan too? No. But interesting. :)

http://www.nfl.com/player/jakeplummer/2502499/profile

Interestingly, since we're on the subject of whether or not a leaopard can change it's spots ...

Jake Plummer spent six years in Arizona. Best season QBR? 79.1. Average QBR over those 6 seasons? 68.3.

His three full seasons in the Shan system in Denver? 91.2, 84.5, 90.2.

Scientific proof Grossman could do the butterfly thing under Shan too? No. But interesting. :)

for the analogy to work...RG wold have to be similar to Plummer. not the case.

the team needs a franchise QB. it aint gonna be RG. it doesn't look like it will be JB....but we don't know.

I'll keep repeating myself too. :)

You know what Grossman can do, or you've seen what he HAS done and figure it's a closed circuit? Do you allow for the possibility some of his earlier struggles might be least at partly due to the support he did/did not have? Or the potential for growth/improvement with experience? Or for a better system more suited to a certain skill set? Some combinations thereof? Some other unmentioned factor? Anything?

Or is he just Rex Grossman, former Bears QB, and that's all there is to it?

that's a rationalization one can apply to any QB....including John Beck. but...if it matters...I saw RG make the same mistakes last season in the Shanahan system.

let's leave it at this: we see things through different colored lenses. I KNOW RG will have good games...and bad games. I find it troubling when "having a good surrounding cast" is needed to fortify the stature of a player....especially the QB. to me...that is a signal that when things go South....and they will.....this is not the person who will be the difference maker. and who wants that for their QB?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.