• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WP: The Fix is In - Beck Is The Starting QB

Well ... the article DID start with:

True, Reid qualified/caveated the boldness of it out of existence with the rest of the piece, but it's still pretty hard to see this as a "fluff story about a kid being given an opportunity." :cool4:

Oh I wasn't trying to say this was a fluff story. I was suggesting that fluff doesn't sell so they create the controversy through mere conjecture just to sell papers.

I should have stated, what could/should have been a fluff story about a kid being given an opportunity...

But we know that just doesn't sell. Controversy sells and Reid is stirring the pot, just like Jenkins and seemingly every other sports reporter everywhere!

Edit: I guess the next question is: What does that say about us, the general public?

Last edited:
Fair enought, El. Thanks for the clarification. :)

So let's forget the Reid/WP angle. I know it's been talked about a lot, but just how big a set of cojones does future HOF'er Mike Shanahan have to have to enter the 2011 season with John Beck and Rex Grossman as his QB battery? Or perhaps just as telling, how much job security must be believe he has to be willing to roll those dice?

If either one of the QB's comes up roses, he's a genius. Or at least as close to one as you can be if you aren't named Belichick. On the other hand, if they both end up being the disasters so many people are convinced they are going to be ... he's plumb gone 'round the coaching bend right?

Not to draw too fine a point on it or anything.

Fair enought, El. Thanks for the clarification. :)

So let's forget the Reid/WP angle. I know it's been talked about a lot, but just how big a set of cojones does future HOF'er Mike Shanahan have to have to enter the 2011 season with John Beck and Rex Grossman as his QB battery? Or perhaps just as telling, how much job security must be believe he has to be willing to roll those dice?

If either one of the QB's comes up roses, he's a genius. Or at least as close to one as you can be if you aren't named Belichick. On the other hand, if they both end up being the disasters so many people are convinced they are going to be ... he's plumb gone 'round the coaching bend right?

Not to draw too fine a point on it or anything.

I think it's a non-issue. He really didn't have much choice. They seriously overshot last year...finally recognized this as a rebuilding project. Didn't have the maneuvering room so they went for overall talent elevation (through more picks) vice a QB in this year's draft (ask Henry - he set me straight on this!). What QB FA/trade bait was out there who was worth raffling off next year's draft? no one.

in the event...all of this strikes me as silly in the extreme...typical fan herd instinct: we have 2 weeks of practice and one pre-season game against a team that did not gameplan...we haven't even seen Beck yet receive the same 4-5 game audition RG has received....and the decision is made? cmon now.......this is just emotion running against the tides of expectations

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a non-issue. He really didn't have much choice. They seriously overshot last year...finally recognized this as a rebuilding project. Didn't have the maneuvering room so they went for overall talent elevation (through more picks) vice a QB in this year's draft (ask Henry - he set me straight on this!). What QB FA/trade bait was out there who was worth raffling off next year's draft? no one.

in the event...all of this strikes me as silly in the extreme...typical fan herd instinct: we have 2 weeks of practice and one pre-season game against a team that did not gameplan...we haven't even seen Beck yet receive the same 4-5 game audition RG has received....and the decision is made? cmon now.......this is just emotion running against the tides of expectations

I pretty much agree with most of this. Nobody's "gameplanning." Everybody's in the same "Just what do we have to operate with here?" boat. It looks like we may have some players to work with along line of team improvement-a judgement that all the teams are heavily involved with particularly considering the circumstances producing this set of preseason games.

Reid, like most contemporary journalists, is tasked with producing emotion eliciting pieces-he's just doing his job. Right now, with McNabb and Haynesworth gone Redskins "drama" is a lot harder to come by-hence the Grossman/Beck competition. Find an angle, expand on it-you can create controversy out of almost anything if you try hard enough.

Rephrasing fansince's theme-much ado about nothing. I'll know something when I see who starts against the Giants.

I will, however, admit that I'm curious as to just how quickly and completely Beck's groin injury heals.

Who are you talking about brother? Reid? I haven't seen anyone around here touting either guy as this or that. Mostly we've been poking fun at the WP.

Personally, I think Rex played well the other night. One can think that and still "get" the whole preseason thing. He could have played like **** too...except he didn't. He played well and, apparently, in doing so surprised a helluva lot of people.

That's all. No one's saying it carries over to the regular season.

Really.

Unless of course Beck lights up the Colts on Friday. In which case ...

Championship!

More fuel for the fire.

---

What the Redskins see in John Beck

By Dan Graziano

ASHBURN, Va. -- You've made up your mind on John Beck. You think he's a human white flag -- that the Washington Redskins are out of their minds for even considering him as their starting quarterback for 2011 and that the only thing Mike Shanahan can be hoping to accomplish is to lose enough games to draft a franchise quarterback in the first round of next year's draft. The way you look at it, Beck's been in the league four years, showed nothing in the brief chance he got in his rookie season with the Dolphins and if he was going to be a good NFL quarterback, we'd have seen it by now.

The Redskins believe John Beck has the ability to develop into a quality starting quarterback.
Beck knows what you think. He's not blind or deaf. He's aware of the doubters, but he's not among them. He would like you to consider him and the NFL career he envisions for himself the same way he considers it -- as a work in progress, not a finished product on which we can yet pass judgment.

Full Story
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/29614/what-the-redskins-see-in-john-beck

Last edited:
Om, I guess I am in the "much ado about nothing" school. I just don't know and neither does anyone else, including Shanahan. So I am gonna just wait and see how this all pans out.

I can tell you I have seen something in Rex Grossman that I am not sure I have ever seen from him before, confidence. After the game the other night, I watched his interview and he looked so relaxed. It could have bordered arrogance, but it didn't come across that way.

Look, I'm noy saying Beck isn't full of confidence, just that from what I have seen Grossman looks much more focused than ever. I really liked what I saw. And, while we saw a solid outing from Rex Friday, he made some plays in the game that looked like the "same 'ole Rex".

1.) The near int by Foote. Rex never looked anywhere else on that play than where he threw that ball. Foote watched his eyes the whole play and nearly picked that ball off on the goal line.

2.) On a great roll out on 1st and 10 from just outside of mid-field, where the chubster showed some mobility, he had a wide open receiver about 15 yards down field who had plenty of room to run yet chose to try to fit the ball in a very tight window for the TD. Now, is that wrong since Stallworth had a step on his defender? I don't know, but these 2 plays show that Rex has not completely outgrown his risky decision making.

On the other hand, what do we have in Beck. I sure haven't seen whatever it is that has Kyle or Mike Shanahan so seemingly enamored. I was able to catch one practice and would not put much stock in that one performance, but it seemed to echo what everyone else was sayin the previous week, he is inaccurate. When they were running routes without facing a defense he dropped in an extremely beautiful pass about 15 yards downfield into the arms of the receiver in full stride. It was such a thing of beauty and had me in such awe that I didn't even get my camera into position to take shots. Once the pressure was applied from the defense, it was whole different story. That one 15 yard pass was the longest one he completed all day and he looked rushed and unsure of himself. He never looked comfortable in the pocket, not once while the defense was out there in either 7 on 7 or 11 on 11.

Before I went to that game, I was gonna just sit back and let the chips fall where they may. After that practice I am rooting for Rex. Beck did not impress me at all.

This Friday I would not be surprised if we didn't see Rex on the field at all. I would bet Beck gets his half to show he can perform like Rex did. We'll see.

I can tell you I am not comfortable knowing that Rex goes into the season as the starter and could do so without the confidence of the coaches. I want this to be a pre-season only QB controversy. I hope it does not carry into the season.

so...what if Beck doesn't demonstrate RG's efficiency but leads the team to 14-17 pts in his half?

so...what if Beck doesn't demonstrate RG's efficiency but leads the team to 14-17 pts in his half?

If they put Hightower out there for a full quarter and he runs the way he did last week and our line is as solid, Beck better have the same efficiency.

One thing to remember is this staff is under scrutiny at the qb position after what happened with McNabb last season. So, if Beck isn't getting the job done and he is trailing Grossman by a considerable margin down the line I find it hard to believe that Shanahan is merely going to stick with a player who isn't coming up to standard form because he liked him coming out in 2007.

Proof that the fix was never in will be Grossman starting every game this season, barring injury.

Beck's not ready for prime time.

Color me shocked if I'm not right.

Proof that the fix was never in will be Grossman starting every game this season, barring injury.

Beck's not ready for prime time.

Color me shocked if I'm not right.

Man, I wish you would not waffle so much. Drives me nuts when you are so indecisive. ;)

If they put Hightower out there for a full quarter and he runs the way he did last week and our line is as solid, Beck better have the same efficiency.

what's more important? scoring points or completing a lot of 5-15 yard passes?

in short.....don't fall behind w/Rex cuz if you do...you're screwed!!!!!

Ok well this falls in line with how I read the QB sitch. (sorry too much time in Jersey this summer)

Both Shanahans HATE turnovers by the QB. Both of them have said something negative about Rex and his turnovers in the past month. Rex may win the competition just because of his familiarity, but both Mike and Kyle know he's prone to throwing to the wrong team and just chucking it deep into coverage so they are pushing him via the "Beck is great" saga. "The Fix" if you will. Beck is more cautious with his downfield play and takes what the defense gives him, aka plays safe, Manages the game.

I don't see Beck succeeding just on watching all of his highlights and the lack of a deep ball. Yeah I saw him chuck it 70 yards on a hail Mary to nobody but didn't see many passes over 20yds in his highlight reels. You cannot compete today without a deep ball.

It will be interesting to see if Rex can save his chuck and ducks for ones that will count and if John Beck can develop a deep ball. I'm skeptical like most of the country that either can pull it off, but will remain hopeful.

Can't wait to see what you guys have to say if Beck does a Drew Brees impression Friday night and takes the offense up and down the field.

Actually, lemme ask it now.

If he lights it up, will you say "It's just preseason?"

What about if he sucks?

Om, I will actually be quite impressed if he gets any kind of offensive momentum going at all. If he goes out there and lights it up, I might be sold. Rex can make all the throws, but fundamentally he still does some things that lead to turnovers. If Kyle is right about Beck, and he comes out and makes this offense hum - yep, I'm sold; I just highly doubt it will happen that way.

If beck lights it up I’ll be encouraged, but in the end….it’s just pre-season.

I would like for Beck to show me something though. A hint, a glimmer, something that I can point to and say to myself “Oh, I get what the Shanahan's are talking about now”.

I’ll be honest; I don’t remember much about Beck from last pre-season except he wore his helmet funny. I used to play with a guy who wore his helmet the same way. That guy had an odd shaped head though, and he played DT. I guess that’s a bad comparison. Forget I wrote that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.