• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Will Griffin succeed as a Pocket passer?

stevenaa

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
He's such a great talent and so obviously athletic, but does that necessarily translate to success as a pocket passer? I want to believe he will develop, but to date I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about the prospect. Yes the O'line has been bad, but they have been disadvantaged by his play as well as he has by theirs. I hope I'm wrong but I can't shake the feeling that the Pocket game is not his calling. Maybe that's why he's never been one. I have no real issue with that so long as we have coaches willing to capitalize on his strengths. The coaches did a good job of that last year. When he did have to pass from the pocket, defenders were not often close to him due to having to respect the option. I didn't watch his college career so I don't have a feel for how much he had to pass under duress, but this year his accuracy has been off, even on throws when he had time. That's something we didn't see last year. Maybe it comes from having to think too much due to the learning curve, and not being able to react on instinct. A full offseason of work can go a long way to fixing that. I'm just not sure what to think.

Put a line built to pass protect in front of him, and he'll pick secondaries apart.

For sure I think he will succeed. He doesn't always read the field well, but that often coincides with moments in which he's running for his life. I think as with what Pete said - give him a competent OL that can actually pass-block, and he'll do quite well. We've seen signs of him going through progressions and making check downs and what not in the past, he just doesn't always do it.

No. There's nothing to suggest that he'll ever be a good pocket passer.

He's ranked 26th in that department right now. Can he move up to 15? Yes.

No. There's nothing to suggest that he'll ever be a good pocket passer.

He's ranked 26th in that department right now. Can he move up to 15? Yes.

You are quite set on getting Jameis, aren't you?

You are quite set on getting Jameis, aren't you?

I would kill to have talent like Jameis, Josh Gordon etc on this team. But it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Unfortunately, most believe Jameis is going first next season, when we don't have a pick.

I'm praying he'll stay three years.

Edit: That doesn't influence my opinion on RG3 though. I bet RG3's career will now mostly resemble Michael Vick's, with a year or two of Rivers. It really depends what a person's definition of "good" is though.

Vick certainly had a few good seasons. Same with P Rivers. But will he ever throw like Brees or Manning? Is that what the OP is asking? That would be a clear no.

Last edited:
I would kill to have talent like Jameis, Josh Gordon etc on this team. But it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Unfortunately, most believe Jameis is going first next season, when we don't have a pick.

I'm praying he'll stay three years.

We don't have a 1st round pick in 2015? (when Winston is first eligible for the draft).

We don't have a 1st round pick in 2015? (when Winston is first eligible for the draft).

Wait, we do, don't we? You have just given me a reason to live.

Yes, we will draft high next season, and get Jameis in the draft.

I could see the new coach come in, and decide that RG3 isn't the guy, or Shanahan will stay and totally implode.

We have a great shot at getting him.

I could see the new coach come in, and decide that RG3 isn't the guy, or Shanahan will stay and totally implode.

We have a great shot at getting him.

Pass the bong bro.

We'll be stuck with RG3 for the next 2-3 years at least, especially if Shanahan is fired because we all know Snyder will insist on it. Then he'll have to learn a new offense for 2-3 seasons. If Candle can last 50+ games over 5 seasons then the only thing stopping RG3 is a career ending injury. If Shanahan stays I fully expect more win now moves that get us to the playoffs next year but then screw us beyond that.

I'm really amazed how fast people are quitting on Robert. After many years of waiting, we finally have a QB we can build a team around. Season two and returning after a major injury, the season is on the rocks, so it's time to cut bait with the guy that carried the team to the NFC East title ? Not taking away from Morris or any other players effort, but more often then not, Robert was the deciding factor in most of our wins last season. Everybody ate it up, and now he's the piss boy...:wall:

I respect that opinion, but I believe it will play out differently.

The odds of another injury are high, and the odds of ever being the QB he was last year are very low.

If a real coach comes in, I"d expect him to lay down the law with Dan, and with decision-making prior to signing a contract.

If we are bad again next year, and the coach believes that RG3's ceiling is low, then he won't hesitate to go after a guy that will be as coveted as Luck was.

How in the world could anyone believe we have had any type of fair assessment on his pocket play with this absolute bleeding artery of an O-line? They can run block relatively well but they can't pass block any better than Spurrier's garbage lines. Give him some big ol bad ass dudes upfront for a bit and then let's talk. Right now this is simply more jumping on the media bandwagon bs that's been on all damn day.

Lol Pete. That movie was awesome.

Here's the craziest thing imho. People just don't seem to accept things when it comes to our team. Here are a few examples:

Jim Zorn threw more career Ints than TDs: But he'll be a solid QB coach! Maybe even a decent HC!

Haslett has sucked everywhere: But I think he can change it.

Shanny was an awful GM in Denver, and his defenses were terrible: But that will improve in DC! Sign him! Let's track his plane!

Adrian Peterson had one ACL surgery, RG3 has had two: He'll be great after he fully recovers! We'll win the division!

What is that?

Right now I don't know. Anyone that tells you otherwise is just sharing their opinion, they don't know either. Time is the only thing that will give us an answer.

Im definitely not giving up on RG3. I'd like to see what he can do without the brace again, protected, and a real team and coaching staff with a full cap, around him before writing him up as a Ramsey

Lol Pete. That movie was awesome.

Here's the craziest thing imho. People just don't seem to accept things when it comes to our team. Here are a few examples:

Jim Zorn threw more career Ints than TDs: But he'll be a solid QB coach! Maybe even a decent HC!

Haslett has sucked everywhere: But I think he can change it.

Shanny was an awful GM in Denver, and his defenses were terrible: But that will improve in DC! Sign him! Let's track his plane!

Adrian Peterson had one ACL surgery, RG3 has had two: He'll be great after he fully recovers! We'll win the division!

What is that?

Come on now.... dam near every Skins fan said WTF with Zorn being moved up to head coach. No misgivings what so ever. There were lots of folks not with the Haz hiring, and find a fan that hasn't come to realize he sucks pond water up his butt that had been on the fence before. Ya, Shanny didn't have the best record as coach / GM, but the other option was Jim Fassle. You're saying you would have rather had Fassle ?

As for the injury, you can't compare the two as everybody is different. People with completely different builds, and playing different positions. Had Peterson not come back so quickly, everybody would be on board with the two season rehab we have been accustomed to for a long time with this type of injury.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.