• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who should start at QB next week, if RG3 can't ?

Who should start at QB next week, if RG3 can't ?

• Kirk

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Rex

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Bring in a new player

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
But they didn't allow him to return, so...

He had no business returning in that game.

Clearly, anyone watching the game even from the TV, should have been able to tell by the look in RG's eyes, that not all the parts were churning.

Right, and the NFL is looking to investigate how we handled it.

Do you guys remember Michael Vick getting destroyed by Fletch last year? Vince Young came in and threw an INT on his first play. The next series after seeing a wobbling, glossy eyed Vick on the sideline, the Fecals sent Vick back into the game.

This is probably for another thread but honestly Griff should sit no matter what. If he had a concussion we don't need to risk compounding that just so this mediocre team has a better chance of going 3-3.

the only problem i have with this is are you going to extend the same thing to everyone else? or are you going to publicly state the health/safety of griffin is more important than everyone else on the team?

who would have to clear him? it's people from the NFL that clear him if I'm remember correctly. how long do you want him to sit?

i'm not trying to be an ass about it, i just don't know where you draw the line and how you deal with the rest of the team if you decide not to play griffin this week even if he's medically cleared.

Right, and the NFL is looking to investigate how we handled it.

Where did you get this information, El? And what is to investigate? He was checked out, determined to have a mild concussion and pulled from the game. I don't see the problem.

for what it's worth it has more to do with gambling than player safety.

people place bets based on this information and thats the only reason they require 'speedy' injury updates. someone bitched to the NFL that he was listed as 'shaken up' for the rest of the game. that's all.

for what it's worth it has more to do with gambling than player safety.

people place bets based on this information and thats the only reason they require 'speedy' injury updates. someone bitched to the NFL that he was listed as 'shaken up' for the rest of the game. that's all.

The issue is how the Redskins reported it during the game.

So, does that mean that people are still placing bets, while a game in progress ?

The issue is how the Redskins reported it during the game.

So, does that mean that people are still placing bets, while a game in progress ?

I'm aware.
Yeah, i think bets are being placed all the way up to the conclusion?
I'm not a real heavy gambler so I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure i've seen others say they have/do.

The league is looking into it because of the new league-mandated concussion procedure, not because of gambling. That's just nonsense.

Yes, the league cares that we never put him back in the game.

It has nothing to do with the fact that we didn't tell anyone we weren't putting him back in the game.

the only problem i have with this is are you going to extend the same thing to everyone else? or are you going to publicly state the health/safety of griffin is more important than everyone else on the team?

Absolutely this applies to everyone. You don't fool around with scrambled brains.

who would have to clear him? it's people from the NFL that clear him if I'm remember correctly. how long do you want him to sit?

i'm not trying to be an ass about it, i just don't know where you draw the line and how you deal with the rest of the team if you decide not to play griffin this week even if he's medically cleared.

My personal thought is if a player suffers a concussion during a game he should sit at least one game. Period. No exceptions. If the NFL is truly serious about player safety, head trauma should be considered the most serious issue.

Exactly...just look at the NHL. Crosby & Backstrom sat out months due to their concussions.

Except that Crosby's problem was that he had a concussion and instead of sitting out until cleared they put him back in and he was hit again; i think they even put him in after the 2nd huge hit and he got a 3rd huge hit. He suffered multiple concussions while still suffering from the first one.

I have no idea how Backstrom's story relates to that or Griffin's, i can't remember :\

My personal thought is if a player suffers a concussion during a game he should sit at least one game. Period. No exceptions. If the NFL is truly serious about player safety, head trauma should be considered the most serious issue.

And I can't disagree with that at all. I don't think your opinion on the matter puts you into the category of people I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who want special treatment for Griffin and don't seem to care about the other 52 guys on the roster. People who in the past never bothered to question, at least not publicly, whether a medically cleared person should be back on the field. Now all the sudden, with this specific player, they're questioning the independent neurologist.

Just getting to this thread so I may have missed it, but ... have we talked about severity of concussions? I have zero medical expertise on the subject, but I'm pretty sure not all concussions are created equal. That should probably be part of the equation this week, right?

Exactly...when you have a concussion and get another one, its really really bad. Isn't that enough to want to sit Griff? There's no way to tell if a concussion is completely gone without a brain scan I believe. A check-up from a neurologist can't be 100% accurate.

Digging a little....

New Guidelines for the Management of Concussions

Criteria to return athletes to competition are no longer based on the athlete's subjective response to questions. A graduated return to play is now recommended.

Terry ZeiglerJun 19, 2009

Historically, athletes with mild concussions were allowed to return to practice/competition as long as they reported that their symptoms (headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion) had dissipated. The new guidelines were developed to protect the athlete from possible further injury to his/her brain.

Information presented in the Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport at the 3rd International Conference on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich (November, 2008) contradicts and supersedes previous concussion management protocol.

International Conference on Concussion

Researchers from the fields of clinical medicine, sports medicine, neuroscience, neuroimaging, athletic training, and sports science were invited to participate in a panel discussion utilizing the organizational guidelines set forth by the Unites States National Institutes of Health for a formal consensus meeting (Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, May, 2009).

These researchers presented data in a public session followed by questions and discussion. The expert panel then met and prepared the published consensus statement on concussion in sport. The statement included a number of content areas related to concussion in sport including the new guidelines for concussion management.

Both Physical and Cognitive Rest Required

Once a concussion is diagnosed, the focus needs to be on “physical and cognitive rest until symptoms resolve”. Physical rest has been a known treatment for concussion, but the statement added cognitive rest as a new criteria.

In other words, athletes who are recovering from a concussion need to quiet their bodies and their minds for efficient healing to take place. The quieter the athlete’s body and mind, the quicker the recovery. This may mean that athletes in school be required to miss classes as well as practice as part of their recovery plan.

Activities that “require concentration and attention (i.e., school work, videogames, text messaging) may exacerbate the symptoms and possibly delay recovery." (McCrory, P., Meeuwisse, W., Johnston, K., Dvorak, J, May, 2009)

Graduated Return to Play Progression

Most athletes recover within several days. To ensure a gradual and safe progression for athletes to return to play, the panel recommended a specific progression of activities. The progression levels begin with complete rest and progress through to return to play.

Each level should take 24 hours with the athlete asymptomatic (symptom free) before moving to the next level in the progression. If any symptoms occur during the progression, the athlete should drop back to the previous level and try to complete that level after a 24 hour rest period. The progression levels are listed below:

•No activity with complete physical and cognitive rest
•Light aerobic exercise (less than 70% of maximum heart rate)
•Sport specific exercise (drills specific to athlete’s sport)
•Non-contact training drills (more intense sport drills with no contact from other players)
•Full contact practice (following medical clearance)
•Return to play (normal game play)
Ideally, the progression should take about one week from asymptomatic rest to full competition. The challenge is going to be in implementing this program in the world of competitive athletics.

Convincing coaches and athletic administrators that this type of progression is necessary for the protection and health of the athlete is going to be a difficult task. Historically, coaches are used to having athletes with concussions return to play within 24 hours (if that long) of being asymptomatic.

Holding every athlete who shows signs and symptoms of concussion out of play for one week is going to cause tension among the athlete, the medical staff, and the athletic staff. The new progression is a step in the right direction for protecting athletes. The challenge is going to be getting buy-in from the athletes, their parents, their coaches, and their athletic staff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.