• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

I prefer doing the flats only (I make a mean burnt end but honestly not my favorite thing as I don't have a sweet tooth). Assume you are doing whole packers? I almost always inject and rub, wrap (either with foil or pink butcher paper), and rest in a cooler. So the temp would be the major change. I will give your method a try and thanks!
Whole prime packers only. They're reasonably priced at Costco, ($3.49lb a couple weeks ago)I only make them a few times a year and I'm not wasting my time with a lesser grade of beef.
That being said, brisket is the only Prime cut that I buy. Everything else is Choice.

Broke in the new cooker.

Attachments

• Resized952022060695164258.jpg
    Resized952022060695164258.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Resized952022060695171212.jpg
    Resized952022060695171212.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 43
I’d be all over dem crawdads
We put a hurtin' on 'em! Had enough left over to send home with the boy. He'll make etouffe with the leftovers. Did 13lbs of crawfish, 2 lbs of shrimp, 2 lbs of andouille sausage, 2lbs of potatoes, 5 heads of garlic, 1lb of mushrooms in the boil. We're stuffed

Anyone who knows me even a little knows I'm a huge chili fan. So been doing a lot of reading on what constitute's authentic Texas style chili. It's not hard. Basically - it's beef and spices. A traditional 'bowl of red' - real Texas chili - has no vegetables (other than dried chilis and spices) or other ingredients added. It's basically beef and spices. If you ever participate in or observe a chili cookoff you'll find out - any additions are considered sacrilege.

I have an appreciation for 'the rules'. Regional dishes are one of the most awesome cultural mile markers of any neighborhood, city, state, region, or country. Eating authentic dishes can literally transport you to a place in my opinion. Doing authentic versions of these kinds of dishes is really cool.

I'm making Texas chili today. But it won't be authentic. I'll do most of the critical steps. Take dried Guajillo and New Mex peppers and make my own paste from them, cube and sear really good beef, simmer the chili for hours with several 'spice dumps'.... but I will also commit sacrilege because for me, the best chili always has tomatoes and beans in it. I don't really care what purists say. I'm not even particularly curious what a truly authentic verions of Texas chili would taste like although I've thought about doing one just to find out for sure. But ultimately, I know what flavors I love and have to have in a chili.

I'm banned from crossing into Texas. But damn this chili is going to be good.

You love chilli, making beer, and lighting grills on fire at tailgates!!

I've never thought chilli should have beans, but I also don't like beans so it may be that as well. But, I do know people debate "real chilli has no beans" as well.

Dare I ask why you're banned from Texas? I feel there is a blues brothers style story in here somewhere....

You love chilli, making beer, and lighting grills on fire at tailgates!!

I've never thought chilli should have beans, but I also don't like beans so it may be that as well. But, I do know people debate "real chilli has no beans" as well.

Dare I ask why you're banned from Texas? I feel there is a blues brothers style story in here somewhere....

Oh - I'm not banned yet, but the above post will probably do it. Because real Texas chili cannot have tomatoes or beans. It's state law.

It's hilarious though. the chili - beans or nah? debate may well be the basis of the next civil war.

I use whole tomatoes and kidney beans. I just call it My Chili. 😉

Yeah - gotta be kidney beans. And I'll go even further, gotta be dark red kidney beans lol...

Chili. It's deeply personal.

Chili. It's deeply personal.

‘My Chili’ is actually my Mother’s recipe, so….

It calls for ground beef and the only alteration I incorporate is that I char-grill the meat for some added smokiness.

Mom's recipe.... that's sacred territory :)

Hard boiled eggs in potato salad? Another must for me. (And no mustard)

I’ll show myself out now.

No mustard? You're dead to me.

Jokes aside, I have never had a bad potato salad, mustard or not. :)

But mustard is pretty great!

I live in Texas and don't do "authentic" Texas chili. I've never had complaints.

I don't do beans but diced tomatoes, onions, and various fresh peppers are a must. No compromise.

And Chris . . . no mustard in your potato salad? Philistine.

Not Philistine, purist. 🤣

Mustard in deviled eggs though. 🥳

I was jones-ing for some pasta yesterday so decided to do some spaghetti and meatballs. I have made my own meatballs before, but I usually just go with store bought sauce. Decided to make my own sauce. It was so much better than I expected (and leaps and bounds beyond the stuff I buy in jars). It tasted almost exactly like a family-owned Italian place I used to visit regularly made.

Sometimes, the extra effort is worth it.

Draft night! Bachelor-in it so got creative. Doing a casserole with chorizo sausage, onion, jalapeño, hash browns, rotel tomatoes, and cheddar cheese.

What’s for draft dinner?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.