• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Here's what I'm doing....soaked the venison tenderloins in milk for about 3 hours (supposed to reduce the 'game flavor' if there is any... Then divided them into 3 batches.

The first is marinating in some 'Allegro' teriyaki marinade with a handfull of chopped fresh garlic. The second is marinating in a family steak recipe (essentially red wine, garlic, black pepper, accent, couple beef boullion cubes, oz of olive oil, and a handful each of dried parsley and dried minced onion). The third is marinating in about a cup of olive oil, some Montreal steak seasoning, some lemon juice, and some chopped garlic.

Sunday, will grill at high temp and serve medium rare. Hoping they are tasty. I'll provide an afteraction report.

Wife got me a sushi making kit for Christmas, so I decided to break it out and give it a shot this morning. Went with a Vegetarian Sushi with Carrots, Avocado and Cucumber. Have to say, it ended up pretty damned good.

Step one with the rice on the nori:

IMAG0052.jpg

Step two with the rolls:

IMAG0053.jpg

Step three cutting the rolls:

IMAG0054.jpg

Step four final product:

IMAG0055.jpg

That sushi looks fantastic! My favorite food.

Goal, I've been making my own sushi for years, so I can give you a lot of tips that you may or may not already know.

Always use botan rice, or any short grain sticky sweet rice. It's stickier, and works perfectly for sushi. The easiest way to make a roll is with the rice on the outside instead of the nori. The best way to do this, is wrap the bamboo sheet in plastic wrap, so the rice won't stick to it. Then spread the rice to the edge of the nori, but leave about 1/2 inch along the bottom edge without rice. Flip it over rice down on the mat, lay all of your fillings across lengthwise about 3 inches from where your going to start your roll. Once it's all in place, wrap the starting end of the nori and rice over your fillings, then pull the mat over that section and press it down firmly. Open the mat back up, pull your roll closer to you, and begin rolling toward the end of the nori with no rice on it.

I've seen a lot of people try to roll the whole thing up all at once, which leads to a loose roll. Instead, you should roll a section, press down, roll another section, etc.

Have fun with it, it gets you hooked fast.

For dinner tonight, I'm making pan seared ahi ginger lime tuna with sliced avocados, some fresh caught shrimp, and baked potatoes.

We had fried rockfish, black eyed peas, and jasmine rice last night. Saturday we went fishing and my son caught a 35 inch rock. You can't beat fresh rock fish.

We had fried rockfish, black eyed peas, and jasmine rice last night. Saturday we went fishing and my son caught a 35 inch rock. You can't beat fresh rock fish.
Do you do the whole filet, or just up top? For years I hated the taste of it, then I found out if you filet immediately and go up from above the musk line, it has such a uniquely awesome taste that's hard to beat.

Pompano beats it though :D Damn shame they haven't been around here since Isabel.

Last night, I had BBQ pork (not the idiotic shredded kind) with the family recipe for BBQ sauce. That sauce won national awards back in the day when my grandparents owned and operated their restaurant. My mother holds the rights to that sauce and I'm next in the will, then my daughter will have it. It can never be sold for profit. Several cousins and relatives covet having the recipe and that ain't happenin'.

Also, dinner included red potatoes, cole slaw, and black eyed peas. Have some leftovers for lunch today.

I'm off to buy a sushi kit today. Thanks for the tips Extreme.

And Goal....thanks for taking the time to put up pictures. For a moron like myself, that is absolutely huge.

No problem man. It was my first attempt, and a lot of fun. Ex is right, make sure you get the right rice. My wife spent hours on Amazon reading reviews of stuff before getting me what she got me.

Ex, I will try the outside rice thing sometime for sure. I got some tuna that I want to play with first, then I will be trying lots of combos.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Goal....save me some time please.

Where does a person get a "sushi making kit", and is there anything special I need to be looking for?

Is there a better brand?

Last edited:
Oh, I'll have to get Em to jump on here, she did all the research. I am getting her inspected now, when I get home, I'll let her know. I know she used Amazon, that's all I got.

Oh, I'll have to get Em to jump on here, she did all the research. I am getting her inspected now, when I get home, I'll let her know. I know she used Amazon, that's all I got.

I appreciate it. It would save me hours of research, and I'll get the same kit you have.

Just as a point of clarification, I am getting her van inspected, not her. I reread that, and it sounded...wrong somehow.

Lol.....I thought she might be at the doctor's for a routine physical or something.

I did not actually buy a kit. I just bought the things you need no matter what kind of sushi you make. I purchased the mat, paddle, and Nori (seaweed) on Amazon because we have free shipping.

I bought the Joyce Chen sushi kit, which is just the mat and paddle. The mat is a little larger than the Nori, which I read is good and I would not have thought of myself. The price has doubled since I bought it a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-33...E3CX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325530147&sr=8-1

I bought a 50 sheet package of Nori. It has also gone up in price. I read you need to use the Nori within a month, so you need to think about how much you are going to make, as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Sushi-Nori-Se...KZK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325530385&sr=8-1

I bought the rice and rice vinegar at Martin's. I would think any grocery store with a decent international section will have both of these. I bought a naturally brewed rice vinegar because I read that is better than chemically processed. I bought the Kame brand and it was about $5. I bought a 2 lb bag of Nishiki rice for about $5 as well.

If anyone plans on making it on a regular basis, invest in a bamboo rice cooker. I promise you will understand why one you use it after trying the rice in a pot/pan. The ease of cooking and ease of use is night and day.

Also, make sure you have a really sharp knife. I don't mean pull one out of the old block and sharpen it, I mean get a good one. Target sells a 10 inch J.A. Henckels chef's knife for around $15 that is the absolute best knife you could buy for this. Also, between each cut, use a very wet rag to wipe the residue off the knife, or you'll be tearing the roll apart by the time you make your third cut.

Do you do the whole filet, or just up top? For years I hated the taste of it, then I found out if you filet immediately and go up from above the musk line, it has such a uniquely awesome taste that's hard to beat.

Pompano beats it though :D Damn shame they haven't been around here since Isabel.

The top part of the filet I cut up into bite size chunks. Bottom portion I fried as an individual serving. From the fish got 4 good size individual portions and a bunch of rock fish bites. I love the way it tastes.

If did it over would have made nothing but bites. My son in-law does the tuna bites.

We caught this fish between the mouth of Poquoson and York River channel.

Thank you for the direction Mrs. Goaldeje.

The top part of the filet I cut up into bite size chunks. Bottom portion I fried as an individual serving. From the fish got 4 good size individual portions and a bunch of rock fish bites. I love the way it tastes.

If did it over would have made nothing but bites. My son in-law does the tuna bites.

We caught this fish between the mouth of Poquoson and York River channel.
Sweet. Nothing beats fresh fish, I don't care what anyone says.

My rockfish chowder is killer if you're interested in the recipe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.