• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

I made butter/Garlic/Lemon/Basil/Parsley marinated pan seared cod fillets, fresh collard greens and scalloped potatoes. Strange pairings, but oddly complimented each other.

Boone, I'm gonna have to give that recipe a go. I just don't want to give it a whirl for Thanksgiving as my first attempt at it :)

Extreme, have you ever tried substituting lime for lemon when cooking fish? I read about it once and tried it and, at least to me, it seems to have a bit lighter impact in the process and seems to have a bit less of a "drying" effect on the flesh.

I have, and I usually use lime. In fact, I prefer it way more than the lemon. But I am super sore today and dog tired, and didn't feel like being unlazy and making a trip to the store to get lime :)

Everything you said about the lime is very true. If you get the chance, grill some Flounder with lime, it's one of the best things you'll ever eat.

Turkey came out perfectly. I actually did it for nearly 4 hours at about 300 degrees indirect heat. Covered in foil up until the last hour. I like turkey well done. It may be a sentimental preference as my mom used to damn near bake the moisture out of the holiday bird. Big benefit of well-done turkey - it almost falls off the bone.

Yummy.

I thought I was the only one - I love dry turkey. My wife thinks I'm crazy for it, but something about a moist turkey just doesn't seem right to me.

I thought I was the only one - I love dry turkey. My wife thinks I'm crazy for it, but something about a moist turkey just doesn't seem right to me.

When I was like 9 or 10 we sat down to Thanksgiving dinner. I was so excited to eat some turkey and stuffing! I piled the turkey up and took the first bite and felt like I was chewing cardboard it was so dry! I couldn't swallow it no matter how much gravy I added!

Didn't matter. My mother thought I was at the age where I should be mindful of what I put on my plate. If I put it on the plate she expected me to eat it. Needless to say I had to sit at the table for about an hour trying to swallow the dry turkey! Everyone else got up and went back to the family room while I sat at the table struggling to stomach that ****!

Finally she let me up after I started crying because I couldn't eat it all. LOL!

Italian sausage with peppers and onions for dinner tonight that turned out very good!

When I was like 9 or 10 we sat down to Thanksgiving dinner. I was so excited to eat some turkey and stuffing! I piled the turkey up and took the first bite and felt like I was chewing cardboard it was so dry! I couldn't swallow it no matter how much gravy I added!

Didn't matter. My mother thought I was at the age where I should be mindful of what I put on my plate. If I put it on the plate she expected me to eat it. Needless to say I had to sit at the table for about an hour trying to swallow the dry turkey! Everyone else got up and went back to the family room while I sat at the table struggling to stomach that ****!

Finally she let me up after I started crying because I couldn't eat it all. LOL!

Italian sausage with peppers and onions for dinner tonight that turned out very good!
:laugh: awesome story. Oddly, that's almost how dry I like my turkey :D

I'm thinking about smoking a turkey this year. Hand rolled, of course :laugh:

It's just the boy and me for Thanksgiving Day here, so we're going the traditional route for dinner today.

Yep - snow crab and grilled steak :)

My side of the family is doing the full-blown Thanksgiving meal/get-together on Saturday. I'm in charge of the turkey. Here's what I'm doing.

I've got two 12-13 lb turkeys. I'll grill them Saturday morning. But I'm brining them in advance. Last night, prepared a brine solution consisting of chicken stock, some white wine, 1/2 cup of sea salt, pepper, and a couple gallons of water. I put that all on the stove and added chopped cilantro, fresh thyme, bay leaves, carrots, fresh garlic cloves, green onions, some corn on the cob, and a couple of quartered oranges. I brought that to a boil and simmered for an hour till I had a really nice stock and put it in the fridge to cool overnight.

This morning, washed down my two turkeys, and put them in big pot with a clean garbage bag containing the brine solution, weighting them down so they'll stay covered for the next two days.

Saturday, I'll pull them out, rinse them down, stuff the interior with garlic, poultry herbs, and orange quarters, rub down the exterior with olive oil, salt and pepper them, then put them on the grill to cook indirectly for 3-4 hours.
I put them in a cheap foil pan with an inch of water in the bottom to keep them from scorching and also cover them with foil until the last hour so wings and bony areas don't burn.

Magical.

My buddy brined then smoked an 18-lb turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner, it was also magical.

Leftovers. For days. We had a 25 lb turkey, and tons of sides and desserts. I'll be having Thanksgiving dinner until at least Sunday night :D

I just looked through 27 pages for a recipe for fish soup Goaldeje wanted me to make. I tried searching but was unsuccessful. I guess there are a lot of foodies on this site.

Think will make some Poquoson Penicillin (Poquoson style clam chowder). Getting time of year where a nice bowl of clam chowder is hard to beat.

Poquoson or Gloucester style clam chowder is clear broth. No milk!

Think will make some Poquoson Penicillin (Poquoson style clam chowder). Getting time of year where a nice bowl of clam chowder is hard to beat.

Poquoson or Gloucester style clam chowder is clear broth. No milk!
Milk based clam chowder is for them sissys up north :D

I made homemade taco salads tonight. The bowls were surprisingly simple to make. It turned out awesome, we'll definitely be doing them again.

We made smoked gouda and spinach stuffed pork chops on Sunday, with maple-glazed acorn squash on the side. Wowsers...such an amazing meal!!

Last night I made tarragon chicken. Very easy, simple recipe.

It's basically grilled chicken w/ a tarragon, honey mustard, sour cream sauce. Had that with rice, corn, and roasted carrots and brussels sprouts.

Yea, after several weeks of not giving a **** what I ate, I'm jumping back on the healthy bandwagon :)

Standard grill fare tonight.

New York Strip steaks rubbed down with olive oil, some sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and a little garlic powder. Toss on the griill then serve with homemade steak sauce:

1 cup ketchup
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup finely chopped white onion
¼ cup brandy
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup packed dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms, broken into chunky pieces
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon hot mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic

I'll simmer it for an hour, let it cool, then strain it.

Add Baked Potatoes, and serve :)

What time is dinner Boone? ;)

About 3 hours from now. You still have time :)

Bring the homebrew.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.