• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What Was That??? (merge earthquake threads)

I was in downtown DC in a meeting. At first I thought Achmed had finally lit something off downtown or on the Metro. But having gone through a quake before, I realized that was what it was when it kept shaking the building. Not much fun. Just now getting home from the commute

Does anybody know if there is any correlation between earthquakes and birds? the reason I ask, is because I live in a somewhat wooded area, where we see birds by the hundreds pretty much non stop all day long. We have noticed that since the earthquake, we have not seen or heard a single bird. Not one, not even flying off in the distance or sitting in a tree.

I don't know if they fled because of the quake, or if them being gone means there is another one on the way, or if it is purely coincidental. Does anyone know?

It's so strange and ominous. It's been almost 6 hours and not one bird. It's like the opposite of Hitchcock lol.

It's so strange and ominous. It's been almost 6 hours and not one bird. It's like the opposite of Hitchcock lol.

No connection that I've ever heard of. It's more likely due to an atmospheric pressure change. Animals are extremely in tune with weather changes, even from great distances.

One of my neighbors is a huge 2012 conspiracy nut, and he's been outside running his mouth to anyone that will listen. He truly believes with all of his heart that this is the beginning of the end.

Sadly, even though I firmly believe the whole 2012 thing is a joke, the fact is none of us really knows when or how the end will come. That worries me :paranoid:

One of the funnier things I've seen today....

Attachments

• quake.jpg
    quake.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 97
supposedly there have been a couple aftershocks although I havent' felt any down our way - you guys in Va feel them?

BB, that is crazy that you guys had damage in NJ. We had some significant tremors but only one picture frame fell off the shelf in my entire house.

Last edited:
No aftershocks up here. Sad news though. There may be a gas leak about two miles from here and a Dunkin' Donuts is closed until the leak can be fixed. True story.

It's definitely the talk of this area. I'm still amazed at what I experienced today. One for the record books.

BB, that is crazy that you guys had damage in NJ. We had some significant tremors but only one picture frame fell of the shelf in my entire house.

The map that the USGS put out shows all of NJ and the entire Philadelphia region being hit. Some areas had little to nothing. We had some things happen in this area, but not too bad. The lifeguard at the pool said that the water was sloshing out by the bucketfuls. Deptford has gas leaks in several neighborhoods. Cherry Hill has some minor damage. Way up in Morristown, there is some damage. Newark International was closed for several hours.

Hearing now that 22 states and DC reported shaking - and parts of Canada. Just incredible.

Last edited:
BB, that is crazy that you guys had damage in NJ. We had some significant tremors but only one picture frame fell off the shelf in my entire house.

I read on the USGS that it's not uncommon to have little damage near the epicenter, and more severe farther out.

One of my neighbors is a huge 2012 conspiracy nut, and he's been outside running his mouth to anyone that will listen. He truly believes with all of his heart that this is the beginning of the end.

Sadly, even though I firmly believe the whole 2012 thing is a joke, the fact is none of us really knows when or how the end will come. That worries me :paranoid:

Sometimes I have to wonder. The Mayan's seemed to have their **** wired tight. Saw a show a while back about an uninhabited island about 400 miles west off the coast of south America. Some guy stumbled onto the island, and found a 150 ft tall Mayan figure, and a giant jaguar statue behind it. Very common to the culture. The show was on his return trip. The Mayan's had special days on their candler, but don't remember what there called. There are two of these days on their calender just prior to the winter solstice 2012. On one of the days, visible to the naked eye, a planet passes in front of the sun. On the other day, there is a solar eclipse. Understanding celestial cycles seemed to be their strength.

What I found odd is that the only land mass in the world you can witness both events is on the island. The eclipse happens at 3 degrees above the horizon, so you have to be on top of the 150 foot statue to see it.

Try this one on for size...

The quake in Japan a few months ago was 60,000 times stronger than the earthquake that we saw today.

Knowing what I experienced today - that was more than enough. But 60,000 times greater? It boggles the mind.

Depending on where you were located, it was not a big deal. For others, it was quite the experience. I probably fall into the latter due to the longevity (about 25 seconds) and how strong the rolling sensation felt and how it affected the area.

And the latest...

The following provinces in Canada had seismic activity from the earthquake:

Ontario
Quebec
Nova Scotia
New Brunswick

The following occurred in the U.S.:

Massachusetts - Entire state with seismic activity
New Hampshire - Entire state with seismic activity
Maine - Most of state with seismic activity
Vermont - Entire state with seismic activity
Connecticut - Entire state with seismic activity
Rhode Island - Entire state with seismic activity
New York - Entire state with seismic activity
Pennsylvania - Entire state with seismic activity
New Jersey - Entire state with seismic activity
Delaware - Entire state with seismic activity
Maryland - Entire state with seismic activity
Virginia - Entire state with seismic activity
North Carolina - Entire state with seismic activity
South Carolina - Entire state with seismic activity
Georgia - More than 75% of state with seismic activity
Florida - Seismic activity limited to northern portions of the state, but a few reports in southern sections
Alabama Various reports of seismic activity
Tennessee - Most of state with seismic activity
Kentucky - Most of state with seismic activity
Ohio - Entire state with seismic activity
West Virginia - Entire state with seismic activity
Indiana - About one-third of state with seismic activity
Wisconsin - lower portions of the state with seismic activity
Michigan - scattered seismic activity
Iowa - extreme eastern sections of state with some seismic activity
Illinois - some sections in the northern areas of the state with seismic activity
Minnesota - A few locations with seismic activity
Missouri - A few locations with seismic activity
Arkansas - A few locations with seismic activity

That's twenty-nine states affected and four Canadian provinces.

Last edited:
I definitely lost my balance and felt dizzy, but there was no noise from it at all here.

It's definitely an amazing thing. My chihuahua did absolutely nothing, but my border collie was howling like a beagle for about 10 minutes - something she has never done before or since. I think animals are a lot smarter than people give them credit for, and a lot more in tune to things than we are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.