• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What Are YOU Looking For, Starting Tonight?

Al, I know you hate Grossman. I don't think he's as bad as you do. He's clearly not a starter, which is why he's not starting. But his first start of 2010 he posted a passer rating of 93.4 and our offense put up 30 points. His first start of 2011 he posted a passer rating of 110.5 and we scored 28 points. He is able to step in and immediately produce. What he can't do is play even remotely consistently for more than about two games. That's why he's a good backup, because he can hold down the fort short-term without creating a QB Controversy.

Cousins at this point is completely raw and useless. Unless you think we should write off the season completely the moment Bob goes down you don't put Cousins in the game. He's better off holding the clipboard and taking notes for a year or two before stepping into the fire. Young stud QBs no longer have the luxury of learning the game on the bench for a year or three like they did back in the Gibbs I days, but when we do have the chance afford young QB such a luxury, we should take it. In my opinion.

Not sure I could have put it any better myself

re: the refs

I can't blame the NFL for trying to get the refs in a more 'professional' role, but I can blame them for the way they're going about it. This wait until the last minute then have parties locked out and put the regular season in jeopardy is just a piss poor way of handling business and I'll never support it.

They've had years to address this and do it in a way to makes both parties happy. But, as usual, they wait until the last minute so that it can become as much of a cluster you-know-what as possible.

re: backup QB situation
I agree with fansince62. That said, I think his opinion (one in which I share) really boils down to your opinion on Grossman. I cannot fault Henry (and others) for thinking Grossman is a serviceable backup. It's just clear that I (and fansince62) don't agree that with that notion, which is why I'd rather he not be here and see what cousins can do...

In my opinion, Grossman is so bad that he makes the entire team around him bad. The WR's look significantly worse under him than they did under cousins and griffin - can it really be the case that Grossman knows the system and the WR's are not running routes correctly? I don't think so, but again it's just my opinion. To me, he's a liability every time he's on the field which makes him not worth having on the team.

tshile said:
In my opinion, Grossman is so bad that he makes the entire team around him bad. The WR's look significantly worse under him than they did under cousins and griffin - can it really be the case that Grossman knows the system and the WR's are not running routes correctly? I don't think so, but again it's just my opinion. To me, he's a liability every time he's on the field which makes him not worth having on the team.

That's fine. However, I'd rather not base my opinion on Grossman vs. Cousins on one preseason game. Against the Steelers in our first preseason game last year Grossman posted a passer rating of 109.0, completing 73% of his passes. In week two Beck debuted with an 83% completion rate and a 101.0 passer rating, while Grossman looked fairly crappy.

Cousins looking ok in the second half of the first preseason game tells us pretty much nothing about him. In my opinion.

:)
I can agree with that.

I'm obviously biased in my opinion of Grossman and lost any ability to be objective when discussing him and other options. I'd rather them put Lorenzo Alexander back there at this point :)

Fair enough. Alexander IS versatile. :)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Henry...the point is this isn't a championship season.....not even a playoff season if we're all honest. This season is for grooming Griff and hoping like H that the o-line doesn't get him killed. You and others have recognized this by chiming in with expectations in the 7-9 to 9-7 department. in my mind...this season is about foundation building.....preparing for the playoffs next year and a championship run in 2-3 years. in that context....I see Rex as useless. I see developing Cousins NOW vice next year when Rex will almost certainly be gone as the better way to go. If RG is down for a while...I'd rather get the learning curve out of the way with Cousins THIS season rather than next when expectations would be elevated to realistic chances for the playoffs. My feelings are all based on the assumption that this is essentially a rebuilding year - an 8-8 type season. Rex doesn't fit the long-term value function, takes up a valuable roster spot and slows the development of Cousins when it least matters in terms of the record.

Gotcha Al. I think that still depends on how ready Cousins is. If he's not ready he shouldn't be expected to play this year. And no matter how we think the season is going to go (I'm more in the 4-6 wins category myself to be honest) I think it's a bad idea to not have three QBs on the roster.

All of this said, I'm really only addressing why I think Grossman is still on the roster. I think there are rational reasons for it, though I wouldn't lose too much sleep if he were let go tomorrow.

Everybody and their mother will be looking for Robert to flash a hint of what is yet to come. I'm no different. But, barring injury, Robert is not going to be a problem. He's gonna be a rookie. All year, starting tonight. I fully expect him to struggle mightily, at times. His teammates will do more to minimize his expected rookie shortcomings, than he will. So, I'm watching for flashes from the guys that will fill those shoes.
I still feel the same way

I'm not a'scaryed of our Oline. I'm actually optimistically curious. I'm glad we get to see Hurt start at left tackle. Better to find out sooner, rather than later, whether he's progressed from the end of last season. When he was showing signs that he could maybe do the job. Tyler, while not great, was clearly better than Ja'Ouch Brown has been, to date. Willie Smith any better? Let's see. Is "The Rib" gonna be our new center soon? I'm looking for Shanny's reputation for finding good Olinemen later in the draft to start rearing it's much hyped head.
With the release of Cook, is "The Rib" our new backup/soon to be starting center? Montgomery isn't terrible, but he still seems to get overpowered too much.

RB's and WR's? I'm looking for Aldrick Robinson to show what everybody's talking about. I'm looking for him to make Brandon Banks expendable. And, I'm looking for Brandon to make a concrete case for why he isn't. The other WR's are of little concern to me. The top 4 are set in stone, barring injury. Only one spot left, for sure. Maybe two.
I got what I was hoping for here. In my mind Robinson played his way onto the roster. And Banks showed he's a one trick pony. And, his one trick, is easily replaced. Of course, being the Shanny's pet squirrel, he may well survive.

TE? I'm looking for Niles Paul to prove he can do the job. Cooley and Retardo(with clean urine) will be fine.
I hope somehow Cooley winds up back on the team, and steals the show. Niles looked pretty good at everything but catching the ball. I hear that's kinda important for TE's. Retardo should do fine, as long as he doesn't get full of himself. I still worry about that glob of **** between his ears. We'll see.

The defense, will be Robert's best friend. Either setting him up in favorable field position. Or, covering his ass when rookie-itus strikes.

I'm looking to see if Jarvis Jenkins will live up to the almost mythical hype he's received. If he does, we'll have a strong rotation of DE's. I'm looking for Baker, and Neild to make it impossible to cut either one.
Jarvis didn't disappoint. Now we get to see what he can do against the best of the best. Baker looks like a bonafide NT. See you next year Neild.

At LB? I'm looking at Keenan Robinson, and Markus White. The rest are set.
I think Kehl may get the roster spot. Especially if White is PS eligible. Robinson's in.

I'm looking to see if the asshole safety we signed, Meriweather, has more brains on the field, than he does off.
Jury is still out on this guy. Looks like he can play. But, is he as dumb as his actions after signing here suggest?

And finally, I'm looking for Gano, to go. Unless Rackers just sucks eggs, Gano is out of here.
"Praise God and pass the ammunition!" I'm tickled pink Gano is gone. Not sure this asshole we signed from Balmer is very smart, but if he can make FG's 40yds and in "gimmies", it'll make his stupidity tolerable.

Maybe. ;)

And the worst part is they are really fighting over table scraps in the grand scheme. The NFL...owners and their mouth piece...is getting out of control. Last year I supported the owners because I am not a fan of Unions, but that has completely changed. Well...still not a fan of unions but that's for another forum.

Goodell is out of control! And this referee issue is ridiculous!

El, I think I may have an analogy you might like-Goodell is the NFL's Vladimir Putin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.