• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WFT to Retire Sean Taylor’s Number

There is no way that this was being planned since the beginning of the season and the team only announced it 3 days before the event.

What? Did someone forget? 🤣

They could easily, in 60 seconds, come out and say ‘We should have given fans advanced notice so that any who want to be a part can. We will reschedule this great celebration of Sean for ____ date to ensure the best possible moment for a great Redskin, his family, and his fans.’

I’m not sure how irritated fans bitching about a bungled plan are the problem guys.

If they don’t do the right thing and reschedule it, it will be what it is.

It is obvious from statements out there by people who were invited to participate this weekend that the planning has been going for a while. Fair play to the team then, although it should have been announced earlier for so many reasons.

It also seems possible that retiring Sean's number might not have been part of the original plan. Brian Mitchell's reply to Ryan Clark's tweet about having been invited weeks ago indicates that the team said nothing to former players about any plans to retire #21 this weekend.

Should it be retired? Absolutely.

Doing it this way though? No.

It doesn't matter that the fans just want it done. It doesn't matter that decades from now most will only remember that the team honored one of their own for all time.

What matters is it is disrespectful, in the here and now, to the fans, to Sean's family, and to Sean's memory. One more embarrassment by this organization in a 20-year history of embarrassments.

It doesn't matter in years from now? Yes it sure does.

If every time someone mentioned your dead father being honored with "they're only doing it because xyz" you'd be pissed, too.

It cheapens his moment.

And to the extent any celebration of Sean is ‘ruined’ by the perception (rightly or wrongly) that it is intended to distract - isn’t that on the teams decision makers? It wouldn’t take a genius to figure out how this would look. The perception is the reason you choose another time to do this.

Loved watching Sean Taylor play. made me sit up on the edge of my seat when he was on the field.
But I agree with Boone in that this is Snyder trying to create another distraction to try and take the focus off the off field circus going on now.
But let’s set even that aside for a minute….

Sean was great. Tragic how he died and a huge loss for his family and the team.

I don’t believe he’s worthy of having his number retired.
Sonny and Riggins did more for this team and yet their numbers are not officially retired…hell,Earnest Byner accomplished more as far as wins and trophies in that number than Sean.

This is a cheap move that basically says “ Here you dummies, look over here so I can sweep this crap under the rug.

I get that argument to an extent DP and have heard others make it (believe Kevin Sheehan has talked about this as well).

I think the obvious answer is that they are retiring STs number, not just because he was one of our organizations premier players, but because he died tragically way before his time. I look at it this way… he never got a chance to go to multiple Pro Bowls, go to a Super Bowl, set lots of NFL records, or earn a spot in the HOF. He was robbed of those opportunities.

So while other Redskins greats may also deserve to have their numbers retired, there is a major difference when it comes to Sean Taylor.

All I can do is sit here and shake my head in disgust and disappointment once again.

I know this - this organization doesn't deserve us.

Quite honestly, this community keeps me hanging on.

Dan Snyder truly is the devil.

It's real simple. You can do things well or you can do them badly.

The WFT continues to do things badly. The end.

Guess I'm in the minority here. I'll continue to celebrate this and not try to drag it down by using the shitty life of Snyder.

Apparently they are doing this pre-game so fans not in attendance won’t even be able to watch it.

Hope they at least spell his name right…..

Damn what a shit show

Guess I'm in the minority here. I'll continue to celebrate this and not try to drag it down by using the shitty life of Snyder.

I think the two can, and should be, independent of eachother.

Sean Taylor deserves to be remembered, and there is absolutely no better way than to immortalize him by putting his number in the rafters. It's something that almost every Redskins fan endorses.

That said, nothing about this has been done correctly, and that is not really fair to Taylor and his memory. I absolutely in no way do I want to take anything away from Sean and his memory... but they've fumbled this process.

1. The announcing it 3 days before the game makes it almost impossible for fans to participate.
2. Holding it PRE-game is very odd to me... why not during half time?
3. Holding it the same game as the 'homecoming' game again leaves me curious. ST deserves his own game, his own tribute, his own recognition.

ALL of that said, I do think we need to not let that overshadow the event itself. The team fumbled (as they usually do) handling an event that should be celebrated, but I hope that we don't punish ST and his family with anger toward the team. There is a lot of outrage about the handling of this going on within the local media, and it's less about ST and more about the fact that a lot of people will not have time to make arrangements to participate. That stadium should be PACKED for this...

Well, what’s done is done - all fans can do now is make the best of it.

Sean is the best safety we've ever had. I'll say it out loud.

Even the coaches here in Ohio tonight were talking about how badass he was.

I would put Sean #1 also. Ken Houston is a close 2nd though.

Alvin Walton is a honorable mention

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.