• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WFT to Retire Sean Taylor’s Number

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia

Although obviously a nice gesture, the cynic in me can’t help but view this as an effort to change the fan and media conversation to anything other than the current email scandal.

This could have been done at any time. Choosing to do it now not only gives the appearance that it’s more about distraction than it is about Sean Taylor, it’s just the latest in a series of tone-deaf decisions that call into question whether anything has really changed in Ashburn.

Sorry for that negative take - but that’s why you don’t pick a moment like the current one to do this.

Honestly, I don't care about why.

He is one of the greatest players of my time and someone who deserves it. He was as impactful in his short career than most hall of famers.

This just makes me want to watch his highlight videos more.

They didn't do it on the 1st Anniversary of his death.

Or the 5th.

Or the 10th.

Instead, they pick a meaningless date in October of the 14th year since his death to do this. With 4 Days notice. In the middle of a scandal that is gaining national attention and momentum.

If you think for one minute that this isn't a stunt being used to misdirect us all, you are smoking some really good dope.

Embarrassing. And disrespectful to Sean Taylor's memory.

Last edited:
I agree that the timing is not good. This fits the actions of this organization for years. If you are under fire or under scandal, do something either opposite of what you are accused of or make some symbolic gesture towards the fans. It makes no sense to do this right now other than to try to make it seem like the organization is good. Sorry, this could have been done years ago if you cared about Sean’s family and his legacy.

Although obviously a nice gesture, the cynic in me can’t help but view this as an effort to change the fan and media conversation to anything other than the current email scandal.

This could have been done at any time. Choosing to do it now not only gives the appearance that it’s more about distraction than it is about Sean Taylor, it’s just the latest in a series of tone-deaf decisions that call into question whether anything has really changed in Ashburn.

Sorry for that negative take - but that’s why you don’t pick a moment like the current one to do this.
Thats not a negative take . IMO your absolutely 100% correct its actually disgraceful to try to use him to prop up the organization. Id like to know is this Jason Wrights doing or Tanya"s

FBqa0oUXMAcdVeM.jpg

Even if you give them every possible benefit of the doubt, they’ve at the least made it impossible for thousands of fans who would want to be there to do so. It could have been a full stadium and special.

If Jason Wright has ANY sense whatsoever they will change the plan and do this the right way.

All of this just takes from the great player he was and all he's done.

F Snyder, but this isn't about him. Honoring Sean is all it should be about. I'll wear my 21 jersey this weekend, for sure.

Everyone agrees ST being honored is a great thing. But for Gods sake - do it the right way. This is a total clown show.

Not defending but the team clearly gets it... likely Wright and Donaldson

Too little, too late.

Wright and Donaldson had to be part of the decision to make this move this season so they are part of whatever decision was made on timing. This isn't just a bad decision in how it appears with the current climate either. This is a ridiculously bad business decision. This is a missed opportunity for a stadium not just full but full of people in Burgundy and Gold. Hell, I might have tried to get there for this and I've never tried to get to FedEx before. This was a chance to bring some fun and joy back to a fanbase desperate for some of that.

This franchise, including Wright and Donaldson, lack social awareness, media-savvy, and anything approaching an institutional conscience.

Opiates for the people.

No disrespect to Sean, or Bobby Mitchell, but we know Snyder just trying to distract attention by using up cred-building actions like this.

I'm with Mike on this... who cares why... it's going to happen. If motives are less than pure, nobody should be shocked... that said I'm not gonna resent the act. 21 will live on forever having never been worn in a game since Taylor did. A lot of fans wanted that to happen. It's happening.

There’s not a single fan who doesn’t want to see STs number retired. But I think how it’s done and the manner in which it is done matters to a lot of folks.

There’s not a single fan who doesn’t want to see STs number retired. But I think how it’s done and the manner in which it is done matters to a lot of folks.

So we punish the legacy of ST for that? 10 years from now when my daughters ask who the 2 numbers retired by the team belonged to, I'm not going to say "21 was Sean Taylor, he had the tools to be the best safety to ever live, and he was murdered protecting his family.... but when they retired the number they handled it poorly."

Edit... 3 numbers... Mitchell was recent

Nobody is going to suddenly up and forget what is going on with the Redskins. Not a single fan or journalist.

But, if every time someone brings this huge moment up it's followed by a snarky comment "it's just to cover it up" it ruins it for his family, friends, fans, etc.

I won't forget what Snyder has done, and I doubt anyone here does. But, this moment is for the greatest safety we've ever had. Only the 3rd number ever retired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.