• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Washington Post: DC Sports Bog: Santana Moss bothered by Pierre Garcon’s comments

BGO

Pierre Garcon had some harsh words to say about the Redskins’ passing game. When asked about it after the loss to the Broncos, Garcon seemed to call out those involved in the passing game.
“It doesn’t matter if we play the worst team in the league on defense,” he said. “If we suck at passing, we suck at passing.”
Read full article >>
mf.gif

a2t.img

More...

This has been blowing up on the radio.

I feel like I'm the only one that took Garcon's comments not as a shot at anyone specific (Griffin, for example) but as an accurate way of describing the offensive unit.

The o-line sucks at drop-back blocking consistently.

Griffin sucks at consistently throwing accurate passes.

Griffin sucks at reading defenses.

The entire WR unit sucks at catching the ball.

It's clear as day for anyone watching this team. The offense is absolutely abysmal. How many 3-and-out's do you need to see before it's this obvious?

I mean good lord is there really anyone that hasn't realized this yet? Garcon's comments are a shock to someone that's been watching the games? How?! Garcon has dropped balls too. Why does this comment get any second thought? It's the absolute truth...

There's only 2 people out of the 20+ listed as offensive players on the roster that share no blame in this offense's lack of production. Roy Helu Jr. and Alfred Morris. Neither one have a damned thing to do with passing (except for the occasional screen and blitz pickup, which I think both are doing well enough in)

Although I prefer that players keep these things in-house, I understand that frustration happens when high expectations turn into the harsh reality of disappointment.

Boy, do I understand.

This has been blowing up on the radio.

I feel like I'm the only one that took Garcon's comments not as a shot at anyone specific (Griffin, for example) but as an accurate way of describing the offensive unit.

The o-line sucks at drop-back blocking consistently.

Griffin sucks at consistently throwing accurate passes.

Griffin sucks at reading defenses.

The entire WR unit sucks at catching the ball.

It's clear as day for anyone watching this team. The offense is absolutely abysmal. How many 3-and-out's do you need to see before it's this obvious?

I mean good lord is there really anyone that hasn't realized this yet? Garcon's comments are a shock to someone that's been watching the games? How?! Garcon has dropped balls too. Why does this comment get any second thought? It's the absolute truth...

There's only 2 people out of the 20+ listed as offensive players on the roster that share no blame in this offense's lack of production. Roy Helu Jr. and Alfred Morris. Neither one have a damned thing to do with passing (except for the occasional screen and blitz pickup, which I think both are doing well enough in)

Obviously the difference is that we're fans and Garçon is a player who is supposed to demonstrate loyalty to his teammates and not embarrass his team and peers every time he opens his mouth. The only way this team turns this season around is if they stick together. This kind of self-satisfying nonsense does nothing to contribute to that - it undermines it. Ask Santana Moss about that.

This is the third time Garçon has made comments that the press supposedly 'misunderstood'. At some point it's not the Press' understanding that is the issue. Just. Shut. Up Garçon.

If you don't think this creates a distraction for multiple players, I think you're wrong.

That's fair boone, and I certainly understand that.

I guess I just don't see it as finger pointing, but more as accepting responsibility. I don't see him suggesting he's not part of the problem - but maybe I'm missing parts of the quotes.

I definitely see how this causes problems if other people interpret it as finger pointing.

At the end of the day what I think doesn't matter, it's what the players think. If the players think it's finger pointing, or even if they don't but they think it's just bad form, then I suppose that's all that matters.

Well, lets see if I can take what's likely to be a shockingly unpopular view here.

What's a player to do when he's frustrated by a team under performing? Keep his mouth shut for the sake of some abstract bulls**t concept of "team loyalty"? The team is playing like sh*t. Griffin's playing like sh*t. Does he go to Shanny and voice his concerns? (P.S. I'd love to know if that happened and if so what kind of response he got.)

"Team unity " is a wonderful ideal but when the unity seems to be getting in the way of not playing way below what the team is actually capable of I can understand Garcon's frustration. Hell, I'm pretty damn frustrated with the team right now.

Was his outburst a violation of propriety? Probably. Was it disloyal? Well, IMO, only to those who think loyalty means "support us without criticism even when we're f**king up big time." Sometimes true loyalty means calling somebody on their buls**t.

In my opinion, there is a huge locker room culture problem in DC. Maybe its not as much of a problem anymore, but the whole Haynesworth thing from Cooley the other day has really disturbed me. It was "well known" in the locker room that he was just a fat ass chump looking for a big guaranteed paycheck so he could slack off and not do **** for the rest of his contract? And nobody in that locker room laid his fat ass out? Either this is pretty typical for big payday players (I don't think this is the case), or the players in DC in particular just don't give as much of a crap as other cities.

These latest comments from Garçon are symptomatic of this problem. I view this as a player who deeply cares about the product & effort on the field (you can't argue that Pierre does not give 110% every week - just look at that one-handed grab) and is voicing his concern publicly because nobody gives a **** privately. Speculative? Of course...this may be very far from the actual truth...just how I see it.

Bottom line the passing attack has been largely ineffective. Moss may not like public comments but at some point you have to recognize that putting lipstick on a pig is not going to turn it into a swan.

The solution is to play better.

The last 9 games will be a referendum on whether we need to find 3-4 other receivers to go with Garçon and Reed.

Well, lets see if I can take what's likely to be a shockingly unpopular view here.

What's a player to do when he's frustrated by a team under performing? Keep his mouth shut for the sake of some abstract bulls**t concept of "team loyalty"? The team is playing like sh*t. Griffin's playing like sh*t. Does he go to Shanny and voice his concerns? (P.S. I'd love to know if that happened and if so what kind of response he got.)

"Team unity " is a wonderful ideal but when the unity seems to be getting in the way of not playing way below what the team is actually capable of I can understand Garcon's frustration. Hell, I'm pretty damn frustrated with the team right now.

Was his outburst a violation of propriety? Probably. Was it disloyal? Well, IMO, only to those who think loyalty means "support us without criticism even when we're f**king up big time." Sometimes true loyalty means calling somebody on their buls**t.

You clearly were never a US Marine :)

And Garçon is clearly not a team leader either. That's what we need. And yeah? Keep his mouth shut and having those discussions face to face behind the scenes IS what Garçon and everyone else should be doing. Garçon would do well to focus on his own issues this season and let the coaching staff worry about the other guys on the offense.

You clearly were never a US Marine :)

And Garçon is clearly not a team leader either. That's what we need. And yeah? Keep his mouth shut and having those discussions face to face behind the scenes IS what Garçon and everyone else should be doing. Garçon would do well to focus on his own issues this season and let the coaching staff worry about the other guys on the offense.

I would argue that sometimes it's appropriate for leaders to call out the other players.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I don't believe that any true leader would ever call out a teammate in public.

DC papers would run with anything they think would drive a wedge in this team.

If the staff/players haven't already had a come to Jeebus meeting its long overdue....behind closed doors that is.

I would argue that sometimes it's appropriate for leaders to call out the other players.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I respect you guys see it differently but I can't agree, particularly when Garçon himself has disappeared for long stretches of games and dropped passes himself this season (and he's the #1 WR). I just don't see what's to be gained by this kind of crap. Did Moss sound 'motivated' to you?

DC papers would run with anything they think would drive a wedge in this team.

If the staff/players haven't already had a come to Jeebus meeting its long overdue....behind closed doors that is.

I agree with this 100%, but their efforts to stir the pot would have zero effect if we had players smart enough to recognize what those efforts are all about and refuse to participate.

I don't believe that any true leader would ever call out a teammate in public.

Well, he didn't call out a teammate, he called out the passing game. Which includes himself. Maybe he worded it poorly, but how many times have we heard Fletcher say "we have to tackle better, we have to do X better, we have to do more Y," etc.?

I respect you guys see it differently but I can't agree, particularly when Garçon himself has disappeared for long stretches of games and dropped passes himself this season (and he's the #1 WR). I just don't see what's to be gained by this kind of crap. Did Moss sound 'motivated' to you?

He's partially disappeared because Griffin is doing poorly this year for whatever reason (no read-option, the injury, etc.). I mean, on the play he tried to force to Jordan Reed, Garçon was streaking downfield without anyone within 20 feet of him. Would have been an easy TD.

Well, he didn't call out a teammate, he called out the passing game. Which includes himself. Maybe he worded it poorly, but how many times have we heard Fletcher say "we have to tackle better, we have to do X better, we have to do more Y," etc.?

Yes, you're right. That distinction does make a difference.

I mean, on the play he tried to force to Jordan Reed, Garçon was streaking downfield without anyone within 20 feet of him. Would have been an easy TD.
Every QB in the league, misses seeing wide open guys, in every game. Why should Robert be any different?

I think the difference is how often it happens and what the impact is.

I'm sure Payton Manning misses wide open guys. It's not nearly at the rate, nor the impact, that Griffin is though :(

I think the difference is how often it happens and what the impact is.

I'm sure Payton Manning misses wide open guys. It's not nearly at the rate, nor the impact, that Griffin is though :(
No way to know that.

Let's see after Griffin has 15+ years experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.