• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Washington Announces Temporary Franchise Name

The fact that we were the murder capital of the US is what made Bullets such a perfect nickname. I have never even bothered to watch a Wizards game. To me, they are some expansion team that took over after the Bullets folded.
Knowing that this new football team will never be good in my lifetime, given that it is run by Lord Farquaad, the end of the Redskins may finally be the come to Jesus moment that I need to break the destructive cycle of addiction that has plagued my existence for more than two decades.

I can imagine a conversation in a bar going something like this:

Dude 1: Bro, so you're here to watch the football game too? What's your favorite football team?

Dude 2: Football Team

Dude 1: No man, I mean which football team are you rooting for?

Dude 2: Football team

Dude 1: :huh2: Damned foreigners

Maybe it's because i'm a Brit...but I actually kind of dig the new temporary name.

Over here we're used to our teams (Cricket, Soccer, Rugby etc) only going by the city name generally, with the occassional 'United' or 'City' thrown in.

Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Birmingham City FC, Aston Villa FC, etc... So for me, this seems like normal almost.

Whatever they rename the team moving forwards, it's going to sound weird. In some ways I'm happier if they just go by simply Washington.
(The only issue I have is a quibble. I wish they'd gone with 'Washington Football Club' rather than 'Team' - but again, that's just a British thing!)

I like we get to keep the colours. The helmet design doesn't bother me, it's changed over the years anyway (The spear head, the feather stripe, the R, the curved feathers etc) so to me it's never been particularly sacred.

The whole thing to me actually seems very Ron Rivera. It feels like this was his decision. He seems like a straight, no nonsense kind of man, which I feel is what this franchise needs.

The name and the uniform design, feels to me like he had a conversation with Snyder and just said: "Enoughs enough, we just want to play football. So here's what we do. Park the name shit, we play as simply Washington. And keep the uniforms, that's our identity. And we'll keep it simple and old school on the helmets and just put the player numbers there. All this crap is just detracting from us just playing football."

Honestly, it feels already to me like this team is forging a new identity under Rivera. It feels like we're about to have a tough nosed, no nonsense, defensive minded identity when we hit the field. More and more I'm of the opinion that this team has been held back from it's ultimate potential. We started to see progress on this front even last year when Gruden and Allen were out, and Bill Callahan took over temporarily. He may not have been the right man for the job nexessarily, but he did start to establish a certain tone.

I'm catiously optimistic about this year... Not saying we'll win the Superbowl, but I think we may exceed expectations. I think our players are young, hungry and disciplined for once. We have a new coach who feels like he's firmly in charge of this organisation for once. Hopefully Snyder will keep busy on his name search and leave the football to the football guys.

I'm a big F1 fan... and this reminds me a little of the Brawn year.

For those not versed in F1... Honda decided to pull out of F1, leaving their team in the lurch. Ross Brawn (a highly regarded Technical Director), was confident the team had potential, so he bought it and branded it with his name. Brawn F1. They had no sponsors and the drivers drove pretty much for free. They surprised everyone, winning the championship that year. The next year they team was bought by Mercedes and the rest is history. The Brawn team was a one year deal, and made history.
Now I don't think this 'Washington' year will be the same, but I do have a sneaky feeling we may look back on this year as a sneaky turning point for the Franchise in years to come.

Or maybe that's just the optimist in me again! LOL

Don’t kid yourself. AfterSnyder recovers from the body blows of the scandal he and his henchmen will be out with focus groups and polls trying to figure out the marketing angle on a new team name.

He will call them the Washington Shirleys if his intel shows that will make the most money.

Don't doubt it Bulldog, but I'm simply talking about the now.

The whole name thing and the uniforms SCREAMS no nonsense to me. It's so totally unfussy.

And lately, Synder had been nowhere to be seen. He's off hiding in the bushes and letting Rivera take all the bullets. I know we all want to belive this is a Snyder FU to everyone, and that there are conspiracy theories abound, but to me it just feels more like Rivera, who's back here basically GMing the team as well as coaching it, saying "Eff this noise. Just keep it simple right now and worry about it all later."

I like the look and (if we can't be the Skins) I kinda like the name. *shrugs* Just my two cents on how I feel about it. :)

To me some of the ugliest uniforms and logos belong to Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Seattle but they win.

Those organisations that win, generally set a tone from the top down.

Our tone was... Bruce Allen and his 'amazing culture' and hence a decade of amazing futility.

I don't know what Rivera will bring, but I like his approach thus far. His reputation is a good one.
Now if Snyder can just keep out of the football side of things...

‘Washington Football Team’ is not a name. It’s a description.

I agree with the soccer fans - just it Washington.

Everyone knows it’s a football team.

It doesn’t have to be repeated in each sentence.

Honestly, I've just been treating the 'Football Team' as an optional extension.

Over here our local soccer teams are 'Birmingham City Football Club' or 'Aston Villa Football Club'. (Not that I support either, I'm not a soccer person!)

But we only ever refer to them as Birmingham (of The Blues) and Aston Villa.

To me, Washington are now... Washington.

Though I'll probably ALWAYS call them the Redskins. It's habitual now.

It's a damn shame the little lying cork soaker gave up on the team and its fans as soon as a few sponsors pressured him.

When Joe Gibbs Racing loses a sponsor, he goes out and finds another one.

So are we to believe there are no other companies out there that wouldn't jump at the chance to sponsor an NFL team and receive the exposure that provides?

Ridiculous....

It's a damn shame the little lying cork soaker gave up on the team and its fans as soon as a few sponsors pressured him.

When Joe Gibbs Racing loses a sponsor, he goes out and finds another one.

So are we to believe there are no other companies out there that wouldn't jump at the chance to sponsor an NFL team and receive the exposure that provides?

Ridiculous....
Totally agree. Posted something similar a couple weeks ago.

Snyder never had the kind of gravitas Cooke did as owner.

Snyder only owns 60% of the team and that’s after Fedex paid him $200M for the naming rights.

His other ventures like Six Flags, restaurants and radio were net losers.

Cooke meanwhile owned prime NY real estate, newspapers, thorough-bred racingfarms, etc.

At the time he came East the Redskins were ONE of Cooke’s investments.

When he bought out Williams there were no other owners with 30-40% of the team.

Snyder was only able to buy the team because Zuckerman came in and guaranteed his marker.

The truth is he didn’t really have the assets to make the purchase.

Because of the unusual way Cooke provided for things in his will the circumstances enabled a snake like Danny Boy to slither in and take the prize.

GET IT IN YOUR SIZE NOW!!

1596030956252.png

We should probably keep the Washington name, put a gold ‘W’ on one side of the helmet and keep the number on the other.

Old school.

Will still be criticized by the Kellermans and Florios.

But that is one of the advantages 😤😤

1596049405669.png

I wanna see what it looks like if they put a Burgundy inlay into the number on the helmet to mimic the way it looks on the jersey.

Attachments

• 1596049405231.png
    1596049405231.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 102
Packers just have a ‘G’.

Cleveland has no logo.

Bears have a ‘C’.

Not everyone is like the Seahawks with neon jerseys and lime green shoes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.