• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Trade Rumors

Vince Young is not JaMarcus Russell - need to clear that one up right away. It's not even close. Now, let's take a logical look at why Coach Shanahan is possibly considering this move.

First, Young is a very mobile QB and these talents were not fully utilized in Jeff Fisher's system. In Coach Shanahan's system, the QB requires mobility and a strong arm. Vince Young could be the protoype QB that is desired in this system and he has the talent to run the offense. It's easy to see why the Shanahans may be looking at Young's intangibles and what he could bring to the QB position in Washington.

Second, the current alternatives are Rex Grossman (assuming that he will return) and John Beck. Grossman has proven that he can run this system effectively. The Shanahans seem to be very high on Beck and he has one year in the system. Coupled with Vince Young, the QB situation could rapidly become a strength - a talented starter, a very capable backup, and a third stringer who has the complete confidence of this staff.

Finally, the coaching staff needs to know that they can have complete confidence in Vince Young and a contract-friendly deal for the Redskins could be a win-win for all.

First, Young is a very mobile QB and these talents were not fully utilized in Jeff Fisher's system. In Coach Shanahan's system, the QB requires mobility and a strong arm. Vince Young could be the protoype QB that is desired in this system and he has the talent to run the offense. It's easy to see why the Shanahans may be looking at Young's intangibles and what he could bring to the QB position in Washington.
I'm a little more concerned about the mental aspects of Young's game and not whether he has the ability/prototypical athletic makeup to be a "Shannahan" type QB.

He needs to be mentally strong and several incidents during his NFL tenure suggest he may be still too immature.

That said, as long as we don't have to give up picks for him (which we won't since he's a FA, I believe) and don't pay him a king's ransom, it's a pretty low-risk move, provided we aren't worried about him having a negative effect in the locker room.

I addressed that stuff.

Word of advice for those who wish to quote me in the future. Please don't quote part of what I said and make it sound like I didn't address a particular issue - especially when I did so. This is not the other place where personal attacks are the norm and taking things out of context occurs regularly. I have no problem if you disagree with me. Just deal with what I have actually posted - I hope that is not too much to ask.

What did bird post that pissed you off, BB?

I only see where he was expounding on your thoughts and emphasizing his own concerns about Young's maturity.

Where were you personally attacked? I don't see it.

BB,

Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. Esp after I reread your post and the one that I made.

Bad day?

What did bird post that pissed you off, BB?

I only see where he was expounding on your thoughts and emphasizing his own concerns about Young's maturity.

Where were you personally attacked? I don't see it.

It wasn't a personal attack per se, but the quote was partial and suggested that I didn't address the mental issues at all. In fact, I did - not excessively - but it was addressed and should've been quoted. All I ask is to quote what I say and address it. If it is a partial quote, then deal with that aspect of what I said only. I take it personal, because it suggests that I didn't deal with a particular issue. I majored in English and take quoting and representing an accurate view quite seriously - that will never change. It's fair and it's reasonable.

Now, let's get back to the discussion. That's why we're here. :)

It wasn't a personal attack per se, but the quote was partial and suggested that I didn't address the mental issues at all. In fact, I did - not excessively - but it was addressed and should've been quoted. All I ask is to quote what I say and address it. If it is a partial quote, then deal with that aspect of what I said only. I take it personal, because it suggests that I didn't deal with a particular issue. I majored in English and take quoting and representing an accurate view quite seriously - that will never change. It's fair and it's reasonable.
Sure thing, I just took a 3rd look at the post I quoted a portion of (which I do to cut down on clutter) and still don't see where you address it. Maybe you did earlier in the thread and I didn't catch it?
Now, let's get back to the discussion. That's why we're here. :)
Agreed. :)

BB,

Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. Esp after I reread your post and the one that I made.

Bad day?

I'm having a great day, thanks. :)

I stated the issue in the response previous to this one.

All is well. Hope you are having a good weekend.

Edited to add...

I addressed it in the first paragraph. Too, I addressed it in a very vague manner in the final paragraph - "complete confidence" was meant to be all encompassing.

Sure thing, I just took a 3rd look at the post I quoted a portion of (which I do to cut down on clutter) and still don't see where you address it. Maybe you did earlier in the thread and I didn't catch it?
Agreed. :)

Me either unless it is to be assumed in the "complete confidence" thought. Much ado about nothing really.

Moving on.

I'd take Vince Young over Beck any day of the week.

Any thought on trading for a QB instead of a FA? Matt Flynn, Josh Johnson or Kyle Orton to me are better options than V Young.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Any thought on trading for a QB instead of a FA? Matt Flynn, Josh Johnson or Kyle Orton to me are better options than V Young.
How about Albert Haynesworth for Kyle Orton?

There are rumors floating around that there are talks going on about this. Would solve not one, but two problems. Can't beat that.

How about Albert Haynesworth for Kyle Orton?

There are rumors floating around that there are talks going on about this. Would solve not one, but two problems. Can't beat that.

That sounds nice but I have a really hard time imagining something like that without us having to sweeten the deal considerably in order to make it happen.

Vince Young is not JaMarcus Russell - need to clear that one up right away. It's not even close. Now, let's take a logical look at why Coach Shanahan is possibly considering this move.

Second, the current alternatives are Rex Grossman (assuming that he will return) and John Beck. Grossman has proven that he can run this system effectively. The Shanahans seem to be very high on Beck and he has one year in the system. Coupled with Vince Young, the QB situation could rapidly become a strength - a talented starter, a very capable backup, and a third stringer who has the complete confidence of this staff.

Finally, the coaching staff needs to know that they can have complete confidence in Vince Young and a contract-friendly deal for the Redskins could be a win-win for all.

BB...most of what you state is true (except for the Grossman part IMO). VY is a head case. there are warning flags all over the place with this guy. if the philosophy is to clean house and get "your (i.e., Shanahan) kinda guys populating the roster)...you don't go the VY route. moreover, if your problem with McNabb is accuracy and execution of the offense from the pocket...why in the world would you go the VY route? same issues.

It looks like it is going to be John Beck at QB this year. Let's face it, Shanahan is talking a good game right now. I know that he doesn't always tell us everything but he might be telling us something here. He said he had no intention on drafting a QB in the first round this year and he didn't. He said a OLB opposite Rak was the number one priority and it was our first pick in the draft. He telling he likes John Beck so he might be ready to start him.

Man, the VY Rumors won't go away. Reading more on Twitter and becoming seriously depressed.

It isn't worth getting nervous over G. You know how these things work. Rumors beget rumors that beget still more rumors. I wouldn't worry about it till you see B&G colored #10 jerseys for sale.

I could never see a guy like Shanahan bringing a guy like Young onboard. Just isn't going to happen imho. I think Shanahan probably learned his lesson with Cutler - you can't rehabilitate a guy who doesn't think he needs rehabilitating.

I think the concerns about VY are legit, but some of it is overkill. Again, he is no where near the headcase that is known as JaMarcus. And let's be clear - Coach Shanahan is the one who drafted Jay Cutler and had no problems working with him. When the Redskins made an offer for Cutler (and the deal was almost done until the Bears came in at the last minute), there were rumors that Shanahan was privately encouraging the trade. Coach Shanahan was already all but penciled in as the Redskins next HC as we know.

If the Shanahans feel like they can make it work with the organization, then give VY a contract that is team friendly and go from there. Nothing wrong with kicking the tires. JaMarcus has his money and is content to be a rich jerk. VY still has something to prove imho and is willing to do so. Let's see what happens.

No offense BB - but how do you know Vince Young is willing to do anything other than what we've seen from him? I think that's a big stretch. We rolled the dice on McNabb. I'm not interested in rolling them again. And I don't see anything compelling to convince me that Young is somehow the 'answer'. I'd rather see Grossman or Beck get an entire season to show what they can do.

We passed on a chance to get Michael Vick - at the time, I thought it was the right move. Vick has really turned it around and I'm hating every minute of it now. Just saying.

VY was nothing like JaMarcus - ever. Yes, he acted like a jerk at times, but he didn't go out and simply toss his career aside. I'm not saying this will work. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with kicking the tires. It would be a shame to see him become what Vick has become on another team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.