• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The thing Campbell can do to instantly improve

You are correct Sonny. I somehow managed to give both he and Culter credit for winning this year so they both have an extra win that they should not have. If you want to take the Chicago game away, that's fine although at this point I think it is knit picking. I was counting Starts and Wins, straight up, and that game didn't even cross my mind.

So after corrections we have:

Cutler with 38 starts and a record 17-21
Campbell with 37 starts and a record of 15-21-1

I still don't see much difference.

I don't really care about Cutler. Don't see why people are bothering comparing them. Water under the bridge. What is important is who can serve the Redskins best at this point. I say that Zorn needs to throw it all out there this week - put the game in Campbell's hands and see if he can sink or swim. If he Campbell starts sinking, throw the team a life preserver and pull Campbell to the sidelines. The mediocre production has to stop if this team is going to be successful.

But, just speaking to the comparison, I will say this - Cutler gets leaned on a lot more by his coaching staff than Campbell does by his. He also has been in the league one less season. And, oh yeah, on Sunday he was playing his first game in a new offensive system.

I don't really care about Cutler. Don't see why people are bothering comparing them. Water under the bridge. What is important is who can serve the Redskins best at this point. I say that Zorn needs to throw it all out there this week - put the game in Campbell's hands and see if he can sink or swim. If he Campbell starts sinking, throw the team a life preserver and pull Campbell to the sidelines. The mediocre production has to stop if this team is going to be successful.

I'm with you Sonny. I only put those numbers up because folks where offering the comparison and speaking in such glowing terms of a kid who lost more games than he has won and really doesn't appear to be getting any better than he was his first season out.

I too really want Zorn to talk the gloves off, look at Jason and say "Go win us this game." My guess is that Jason wants that too, much more than any of us fans could ever understand.

But, just speaking to the comparison, I will say this - Cutler gets leaned on a lot more by his coaching staff than Campbell does by his. He also has been in the league one less season. And, oh yeah, on Sunday he was playing his first game in a new offensive system.

I think there is the difference. Cutler's coaches, to this point, have viewed him as a player to lean on while Campbell's coaches have viewed him as someone to protect. Get over it, he is a big boy with 5 years in the league now. Take the training wheels off and tell him you expect him to get it done.

And if you want to go the "first game in a new offensive system" route, that is fine too. Took Jason 12 games last year in a new system to throw 4 INTs. (Sorry, could not resist...tired of hearing about Cutler)

I edited this post because I had gotten off topic and didn't want to keep arguing against Jason Campbell. I think I have made my point clear.

If he is going to get better he must miraculously show that he can begin to sense pressure in the pocket, be less transparent, pay attention to first down markers and gain the confidence of the coaches so they will think less about trickery and more about hard-nosed football.

Last edited:
Elephant, I can agree with that although I think the whole "gaining confidence" thing is a two way street and right now if I am Campbell I am not so sure I have it in Zorn. Scripting a trick play for the second offensive snap does not scream of confidence in the QB by the coach. Both sides of that equation need to be extending the trust and earning it once extended. Until Zorn just flat hands the game to Campbell and turns him lose, I just don't see this thing working.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Last edited:
I'm glad we didn't get Cutler (I'm not a fan), but I'm also quickly losing confidence in Campbell. If I had to call it right now, I think the best scenario would have been if we could have pulled off the deal to draft Sanchez. Of course, if we had the 2nd rounder we dealt for Jason Taylor, we probably would have been able to make the deal for Sanchez. Hopefully the inability to trade for Sanchez thanks to the Taylor trade serves as a wake-up call to the FO.

As for Campbell, I was one of the last holdouts in his corner. I honestly believed he was going to light it up against the Giants and silence his critics. Instead, I see him audibling to a feeble run on a critical 3rd and 8, and just generally appear to regress across the board. I can honestly say he looked better as a rookie than he does now, which simply shouldn't happen.

JC has more than enough experience under his belt by now that we should be seeing exactly what he is by now. The only reason I haven't completely thrown in the towel yet on him is I'm still trying to figure out if Zorn is holding Jason back, or if Jason is holding Jason back. Because he clearly has some impressive physical tools.

Until Zorn just flat hands the game to Campbell and turns him lose, I just don't see this thing working.

I agree with that...I've said elsewhere that Zorn either needs to trust JC or bench him. As I said above...I'm still trying to figure out who is holding back whom.

Last edited:
Neo, I think you are right to a degree about the confidence level of the QB and the coach. Heck, every player should trust his coach. That's a must in my book!

But we saw the same thing when Gibbs was here. Didn't Gibbs even admit that he held back so JC could catch up? Remember how vanilla the offense was under Gibbs w/ JC? Now we are seeing the same thing from Zorn. The offense looks like the same exact team. And I think it is because Jason Campbell lacks it and the coaches know it.

I think Zorn came in thinking if Campbell were given a chance under his schemes, he could grow. But when it came down to it in the offseason the front office and/or coaching staff showed they no longer had that confidence.

And I think since Jason is in a contract year, it should be a little different. Regardless of his trust for the coaches, if he has a huge season there will not only be a career as a starter in the NFL but a huge payday.

I don't think it is a lack of effort, I think it is a lack of ability and no amount of trust or distrust can play a part in it now.

well if it wasnt meant to be a joke then thats the worst case of "the sky is falling" ive ever seen. you cant seriously believe that campbell is going to have 32 fumbles this year...

at least i hope you dont.:elvis:

Obviously I don't think he is going to fumble the ball 32 times, but statistically, he is on pace for 32 fumbles. Just the facts.

Okay Richards - lets look at his last 11 games. He had 6 fumbles in his last 10 games of the 2008 season. He had 2 Sunday, giving him 8 in his last 11 - on pace for 12 fumbles this season. In other words, a regression back to his 2007 numbers.

Lanky, that is tough to do like that. He isn't going to be playing top defenses with the frequency he has in the last 11 games. In that time he has seen the Giants twice, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Dallas. That accounts for 5 of the 8 fumbles.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him but you have to think that the quality of the opponent has to have at least a little impact on those stats. Yes? Now if he has 4 fumbles over the next 5 games I will start to really worry considering who those games are against.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him but you have to think that the quality of the opponent has to have at least a little impact on those stats. Yes? Now if he has 4 fumbles over the next 5 games I will start to really worry considering who those games are against.

Haha! When you threw stats at me about Cutler being a winner, you ignored the same variables you mentioned in this quote. You can't have it both ways.

Quality of the opponent only masks the problem. He has no pocket-presence, which is not a big deal if your opponent does not have a great pass rush. :)

Haha! When you threw stats at me about Cutler being a winner, you ignored the same variables you mentioned in this quote. You can't have it both ways.

I kind of thought I did do that when I said:

Other considerations:

Cutler played in the AFC West for 37 of those games with all that implies.
Campbell played all 37 of his starts in the NFC East with all that implies.

Perhaps I was not clear though. To me, what playing the AFC West implies is the lack of competition and what playing the NFC East implies is the superior quality of competition.

I have not problem with introducting the quality of competition into this discussion at all. I firmly believe it only makes Jason's numbers look better.

Also, I think I should point out that I am by now means sure Campbell is the answer. In fact, I think it a bit less likely every game. I am simply trying to put his work in perspective when compared to all these other guys, Cutler included, who everyone seems to think are so great. Nor do I think a lot of this is Campbell's fault. I just think he is much more cut out to be QB for Cam Cameron up in the road in B-more where they run a successful version of the Gibbs/Coryell offense.

Last edited:
Okay Richards - lets look at his last 11 games. He had 6 fumbles in his last 10 games of the 2008 season. He had 2 Sunday, giving him 8 in his last 11 - on pace for 12 fumbles this season. In other words, a regression back to his 2007 numbers.

I was goofing on Cutler and his 4 picks. But if you look at my comments about Campbell you'll see I'm not exactly high on him either.

I kind of thought I did do that when I said:

You did say that but I am not buying it. You came at my claim that Cutler is a winner and showed stats that show he does not have a much better record than Campbell. But what you failed to introduce by merely stating NFC East > AFC West is the terrible defense the Broncos have and the top rated D Campbell has had.

And it appears you neglected the stats I posted that I believe help support my theory that Cutler is a winner compared to Jason. Did you see the stats I introduced that showed Cutler with 5 out of 8 wins last year coming by 4th quarter comebacks? That is the one variable that I only saw Campbell do once in 8 games against NO last year.

You're right. Cutler is not the answer in Washington. I think you see that JC is not either. My original point was that the front office went out to find someone else because they have lost confidence that this kid can get it supporting what I have been saying for 3 years.

I apologize for carrying this further than I should have, I am just fed up with the "patience" this team has given a QB that has done nothing to prove he is worthy. Like I have also said, I am saddened by this because it is a reflection of a poor decision by Coach Gibbs to draft him in the first place.

8-8 wins the division in the AFC West.

8-8 gets you the basement in the NFC Beast.

I live out here..there is ONE good defensive team in the AFC West so you can cancel out the top rated D argument.

Cutler would have also had one less win if Hochuli didnt mess that call up.

Mike, you do realize I was talking about our D? Because our D was as good as it was, Campbell had more chances for comebacks. Denver had no D putting more burden on Cutler to win 8.

You did say that but I am not buying it. You came at my claim that Cutler is a winner and showed stats that show he does not have a much better record than Campbell. But what you failed to introduce by merely stating NFC East > AFC West is the terrible defense the Broncos have and the top rated D Campbell has had.

You are right, I did not talk about it. To me, that also rather supports Campbell's stats being more solid than they appear. He had a defense the coaches trusted. How many times did we hear Gibbs say he played something safe because he figured the defense could hold the other team? I think Shannahan turned Cutler loose because he knew his only chance of winning was a 38-35 shootout with that speed bump he had for a defense. That will lead to some big numbers for the QB in all columns, the good and the bad.

And it appears you neglected the stats I posted that I believe help support my theory that Cutler is a winner compared to Jason. Did you see the stats I introduced that showed Cutler with 5 out of 8 wins last year coming by 4th quarter comebacks? That is the one variable that I only saw Campbell do once in 8 games against NO last year.

Yeah, admittedly I didn't go that deep and admittedly Jason has not been great at that although I don't lay all that at Jason's feet. Some certainly but not all. It often feels like the play calling has no urgency to me until we are behind by more than one score at which point you are looking at needing some sort of miracle like a recovered on side kick to even have a shot. Sunday's game with NY was a good example to me. Where was the play calling that we saw on the last TD drive prior to that drive? The Giants defense didn't really go prevent on that last drive nor did they really change what they had been doing all game. Heck, they were still blitzing. If we could do that then, we could have done it to start the 4th qtr or start the 3rd. Why did Zorn not go to it until he had to go to it?

You're right. Cutler is not the answer in Washington. I think you see that JC is not either. My original point was that the front office went out to find someone else because they have lost confidence that this kid can get it supporting what I have been saying for 3 years.

JC is not the answer in Washington as long as the coaches continue to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. He is not a WCO QB at the NFL level but I really do think he would be fine running Cameron's system in Baltimore with that line. He was, in fact, drafted to run an offense pretty much just like that.

I apologize for carrying this further than I should have, I am just fed up with the "patience" this team has given a QB that has done nothing to prove he is worthy. Like I have also said, I am saddened by this because it is a reflection of a poor decision by Coach Gibbs to draft him in the first place.

No apology necessary. We are having an civilized discussion about something we all feel passionately about. My only regret about this discussion is that it isn't happening live in person over beer at some great bar.

As for patience, I give it to JC because he acts like the guy I want to cheer for. Cutler is an ass and proved it this last spring. Campbell is not and proves it daily in a very tough town. I give it because Steve Young says it takes the very best QB's 3 years minimum to really get the WCO. The guys is a HoFer and certainly knows more of what he speaks than I do. I give it because I don't have a real alternative. Collins was a nice story a couple years ago. The right guy, in the right place, at the right time and we loved him for it. I just don't think he would do a better job of this than Jason with the current play calling and given that belief I think we stand a better chance with JC due to his mobility (when he uses it) and his arm strength.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are really stretching far out there to come up with possible fumble scenarios. I get that you aren't in the "I love JC" camp but this argument is shaky at best.

How is it shaky? He fumbled twice last week - and one was completely avoidable with a simple step-up into the pocket. I'm really not sure what you're arguing against here - that he actually fumbled 2 times? That they were his fault? What is it you are defending here Mike? I am confused.

I'm defending the logic that because he fumbled twice in one game means he is going to do it every game and that his average is now going to be the measuring stick that we go by.

because IF that is the case..then Cutler is set to throw 64 INTs this season.

And please dont give the Giants defense any credit of being one of the if not the best front 4 in the game. Its not like Justin Tuck and Osi are all stars. There are plenty of teams who fare as bad if not worse then JC did against them. The one fumble for a TD is Samuels fault as much as it is his. The LT's job is to protect the QB's blind side.

False - Samuels did his job, which was to ride the DE out of the play. Except that Campbell did not step into the pocket Samuels created, thus extending the area of the play. This is basic football. As a LT in high school, this is what you are taught from day one - if your guy gets past you, ride him out of the play, and trust the QB to step into the pocket and out of danger.

And you are clearly misunderstanding my point, if you think I'm arguing that Campbell will fumble the ball 32 times this year.

:doh1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.