• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The QB horserace

burgold

The Pro Bowler
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
At the first turn their neck and neck with no clear winner in sight... we got a good race folks.

John Beck showing his mobility, accuracy, and good decisions making skills against the Colts. The question... his arm. He didn't try any long passes and barely any medium length shots. His short ball had good zip.

Grossman showed accuracy, good decision making and nice depth against the Steelers. Had that pick against the Colts and that's a stumble, but in a race of one on ones both qbs are shining.

No poll yet because I'd like this thread to last until we have a winner.

Currently, I call it a dead heat because of the pick. Without that pick because of the way Grossman attacks the field, I'd give him the lead. My fear with Beck right now is that defenses will be able to cheat and play much tighter will really reduce our offenses effectiveness.

I think they kept Beck on a pretty tight leash tonight. He looked good, but he should have - they didn't ask him to do a whole lot. I do think he looked relaxed and poised out there, and didn't make any mental mistakes. One bad throw on a 3rd down that should've been an easy conversion - that's the only bad play I saw him make.

Grossman made some nice throws. But the pick is a killer - not because an INT in pre-season in garbage time means a thing, but because he's been labelled an INT machine. I don't think that's particularly accurate, but any mistake he makes is going to be amplified.

Be interesting to see who starts next week. Won't be surprised if we continue to see Beck get the first half with the starters. If we do see that, barring a catastrophic performance, I think Beck will start the opener. If Grossman gets another chance with the starters in the first half, I think he'll continue to show he's the superior QB right now. That's a big 'IF' though...

Nice to see we have two guys who, while they may not be 'the answer', can run this offense efficiently.

At least against scrubs in games that don't count :)

Yup. I expect or hope that Shanny will give Grossman the nod the next week. I like alternating them and then making an evaluation. I guess you might give it to Beck just because he is the less known quantity, but I still like rotating it.

I don't think we have a competition here. I think Beck's our starter. And after tonight, I'm OK with that. For now.

With game planning by defenses the Redskins won't get the kind of spacing they got tonight for the run and short game unless Beck can prove he can hit the deep ball.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Thursday's game against the Ravens will be key. This is when the starters play longer. If Beck starts and does well, he will be the starter against the Giants.

I caught part of the postgame show last night. They had an interesting debate on if Beck needs to be clearly better than Grossman or vice versa. I think Beck needs be on par to get the starting job, since the Shanahan said he would stake his reputation on him.

They also felt Kyle has been calling a conservative game in the redzone. I didn't see the game, so curious how those that watched the game feel?

Yeah, I haven't been real impressed in the redzone either with the players or the plays called. I'm hoping it is more a function of Shanahan not wanting to show too much.

I'm going to be very blunt here. But first, we need to recognize that both QBs have been solid in these first two games.

That being said, yes, the Ravens could be the first true test of this preseason. Beating the Steelers? Whoopity dang do! Big fat hairy deal. Yeah, their defense got shredded by Rex. Let's be honest though. That defense without Polamalu is not as effective as it can be when he is on the field. I don't know if Rex has the kind of game that he enjoyed if TP is in the game.

The Colts? Please. They treat preseason games like it is a field trip to the M&Ms candy production plant in Hackettstown. Seriously. You could find a team from the women's professional football league that would give the Colts a losing game in the preseason. Just saying.

Let's see how the Ravens approach this game and then we may have a better idea of how the Redskins could perform during the regular season. Even after two games where the team has impressed in certain ways, I'm not ready to adjust my 5-11 prediction just yet (and I said it would be a "good" 5-11). There are some positive signs, but let's see what occurs on Thursday night.

Beck playing against an Indy team that treats pre-season like the plague doesn't get me excited. At this point I'm still in favor of Rex, we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.....and could I smell sig bets on who starts more games for us this season between the 2? Hmmmmmm

I say Beck gets the start in week one. Not saying Grossman won't get a start this season but Beck will start us off.

I have a feeling that the most talked about person in D.C. other than the president will be the Redskins backup quarterback this coming season. I think it was Parcells (I maybe be mistaken) that once said that if you think you've got two quarterbacks, you really have none. I'm really hoping that this isn't the case and that whoever wins the job does enough to manage the offense and helps it become a stable, functional unit. We've been preaching consistency as being a key ingredient towards this team's long term success. I think the same holds true in regards to the quarterback position and the overall level of success we achieve in terms of this coming season. A lack of consistency at the quarterback position this season (e.g. flip-flopping qbs throughout the year) will likely make for a long year. I'm really hoping that Mike sticks with whoever he believes is his guy and gives him a chance to grow within the offense.

I've heard that quote attributed to a lot of folks, mostly John Madden, but don't know who originally said it. It rings true, but in our case, I really don't want to consider that right now :)

I have a feeling that the most talked about person in D.C. other than the president will be the Redskins backup quarterback this coming season. I think it was Parcells (I maybe be mistaken) that once said that if you think you've got two quarterbacks, you really have none. I'm really hoping that this isn't the case and that whoever wins the job does enough to manage the offense and helps it become a stable, functional unit. We've been preaching consistency as being a key ingredient towards this team's long term success. I think the same holds true in regards to the quarterback position and the overall level of success we achieve in terms of this coming season. A lack of consistency at the quarterback position this season (e.g. flip-flopping qbs throughout the year) will likely make for a long year. I'm really hoping that Mike sticks with whoever he believes is his guy and gives him a chance to grow within the offense.
I've heard that quote attributed to a lot of folks, mostly John Madden, but don't know who originally said it. It rings true, but in our case, I really don't want to consider that right now :)

I don't know if it's such a problem. Sonny and Billy wasn't a problem. Jay and Doug wasn't a problem.

If it is such a problem, then, well, it's a problem that I'm happy to have.

In my book RG demonstrated what I know to be the case: he doesn't handle pressure well...he doesn't have the athletic ability to escape and improvise. that's his primary liability in my book.

JB has played all of one half. It wasn't bad but as others have pointed out....the playcalling was pretty confining.

So far...here is what I have learned:

- KS wants someone who will execute his offense AS DIRECTED

- both QBs can execute as directed when the o-line provides the time. we'll see what happens when things begin to break down.

- pace Goal....RZ continues to a Redskins weakness year after year after year. For the moment, I will assume it's just conservative playcalling. I want to see fades to the corner of the endzone and down the sideline executed properly just like every other competent offense in the NFL can

Watching the game again on nfl replay only furthers my instinct that Grossman > Beck. Beck really did nothing of interest at all, one good out pass and a quick scramble aren't enough to sway me.

- pace Goal....RZ continues to a Redskins weakness year after year after year. For the moment, I will assume it's just conservative playcalling. I want to see fades to the corner of the endzone and down the sideline executed properly just like every other competent offense in the NFL can

I think you're assuming correctly, because we really haven't been as awful in the red zone as many say....

In 2010, Mike Shanahan’s first year with the Redskins, the team scored touchdowns on 22 of 43 trips inside the other team’s 20. Their conversion percentage of 51.2 percent was just below the NFL average of 52.7 percent. That ranked a middling 19th in the league.

The year before, under Jim Zorn, the team was even better in the red zone. They ranked in the top 10, as their red zone conversion rate of 56.5 percent was the seventh-best in the NFL.

Redskins red zone woes not the "same old story."

This is looking a lot like how Gibbs first 2 years went, even in the QB race in 05 where Ramsey was supposed to be the guy going in to the season. I'd guess that Grossman starts by at least the 3rd-4th regular season game, maybe even from day one.

Then there's this:

ASHBURN, VA—Though the Washington Redskins are currently attempting to decide on their starting quarterback, no person older than the age of 13 has shown any enthusiasm about the position, team sources confirmed Sunday. “We had one ninth-grader come in, but he wouldn’t play here unless we got him a serious receiving threat,” said head coach Mike Shanahan, staring warily as an overweight 10-year-old girl attempted to throw a five-yard out to Santana Moss. “The problem we have here is that the only people in camp that are really excited about leading this team can’t see over the offensive line, can only throw underhanded, and trip over their jerseys.” The Redskins’ quarterback situation further deteriorated Sunday evening, when owner Daniel Snyder offered to trade Grossman and a third-round pick to a local Pop Warner team in exchange for their backup quarterback and cash.

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/report-no-one-over-13-wants-to-play-qb-for-redskin,21168/

At the second turn, Grossman pulls ahead, but it's still anyone's race.

Both missed some throws, but Grossman had a very nice 2 minute drill.

Yeah - it hasn't been anything close to perfection for either guy, but both have had their moments. Grossman probably wins the first half based on the last drive but he had a lot more plays (or it seemed that way anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.