• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The New Head Coach Thread

Hey, McD, drew brees WAS in that position in san diego.

Your bias is too obvious and the act is getting too thin.

Nothing like that ever happened to Brees.

Brees had no prior injury. Brees hit the ground. He was pulled immediately.

What are you talking about?

The fact he dove for a ball in a game that was out of reach in a meaningless season and ended up with a serious injury and traded.

Yeah..nothing like that.

Well he had no prior injury in his collegiate or pro career, and they pulled him immediately when injured.

Totally differently than how Shanny handled it. Brees wasn't left in the game to potentially do more damage.

Last edited:
They were incredibly stupid for letting him walk. Crazy stupid. But injury-wise, I don't see how that's the same as leaving RG3 in after he was hobbling around.

Also, I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all. If someone had said "Zorn, Blatche or Vinny weren't very good and we can do a lot better" years ago while they were still employed, I wouldn't have looked at that as disrespectful to the team or fans.

Anyway, have a great night. Didn't want to upset anyone.

I try to be rational with conversations so I'm going to ATTEMPT to give my opinion on this and treat this thread as its own...

I cannot avoid this thread simply because I don't agree with the sentiment, in fact I think it's way off base that the notion is even being suggested... Boone hit it on the head. This team has had turmoil, frustration, and utter EMBARRASSMENT for more then 20 years now. We've cycled through coaches of every type. We've tried the up and coming coordinator (Turner), the rehash (Gibbs 2.0), the hot shot college coach (Spurrier), and the new guy on the block (Zorn). Outside of a momentary spark during Gibbs 2.0, and a flash in the pan with Turner, it's been a constant snowball of metaphorical poop rolling down a slope of overspending and false hope.

I am still 100% devoted to this franchise, that's not going to change, but I'm also not going to be narrow minded and short termed like the decisions revolving around this team have been. Looking at the direction this team was headed in... we finally reached the Bermuda Triangle of the sports world. Talent comes in, but its lost...

In comes Mike Shanahan... He's criticized about how he handles Albert Haynesworth... player no longer in the league...(year before best defensive lineman on the team) He's criticized about how he handles Donovan McNabb (who shannhan traded a high pick for and installed as the QB)... player no longer in the league. People cant believe he lets go of the receivers we drafted in Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas(both of whom shannhan stated were "on the cusp of being very good")... NEITHER player in the league. He's criticized about how he handled Clinton Portis... Player no longer in the league now(who was the offensive MVP the season before)... as much as it pains me to say this... he was questioned with how he handled Cooley(who was a very good TE the year before shanny showed up).... and Cooley is no longer in the league. He caught slack when they drafted Kirk Cousins and without him, we don't win the division last year ( which a crazy statement as that pick could have brought us an upgrade on the Oline). He was criticized for not running any read option in the preseason last year and we ended up changing the NFL landscape for multiple franchises. WE ran the read-option first... He was also criticized for not addressing the offensive line last year, and we ended up having a ROOKIE break our FRANCHISE SINGLE SEASON RUSHING RECORD( because the scheme combined with a superlative rushing qb froze defences)... guess who held that before Morris... JOHN THE DIESEL RIGGINS.

He's put the feel good stories aside and he's cut the fat from the franchise... EVERYTHING was in disarray when he got here and he changed that. He's gotten the OWNER to back off... the most micromanaging owner in the league has stepped back and given the football people the ability to make the football decisions. He's also been able to work the culture to where players WANT TO BE HERE to play football, not get paid. We've got a future now. We now have a young secondary who appears to be developing. We have a VERY strong front 7 on the defensive side of the ball.. and as crazy as it sounds.. ORAKPO is considered the "weakest link." ( and the weakest link was the guy who shanny based the entire change in scheme on) 4 years ago he was one of very bright spots on the entire roster... Oh, and lets not forget that rookie running back I referenced earlier, along with another young stud in Roy Helu Jr. OH YEAH... how could I forget.... ROBERT GRIFFIN III... How many Heisman winners go on to win ROY? I can only find 3 other names, Barry Sanders, George Rogers, Marcus Allen. THIS regime brought Griffin here. ( and traded a ridiculous proce to get him and then didnt find any talent to surround him with)

They took these pieces and led them to one of the greatest turn around seasons anyone has ever witnessed... from 5 - 11 and in LAST PLACE to 10 - 6 and division champs. All while playing in the same division as the (at the time) defending super bowl champions and the lovers of the league, the Dallas Cowboys. We also went 5 - 1 in the NFCE, and we were literally 60 seconds away from sweeping it. Oh, and I forgot to mention that he did all of it, dealing with an outrageous cap penalty. Players have resigned here for less money because the culture has changed. Allen and Shanny changed that, the facts show that.

To suggest that they haven't earned the right to work this team for AT LEAST 2 more years, without a cap penalty, and with 2 rising stars in the NFL is absolutely absurd and unbelievable. THEY changed this team and this franchise. You want to dismiss my opinion... so be it... but to think it's fair to want his job, after the things stated above its comical at best.

responces in brackets in original message, I dont know how to change the colour

I'm telling you now, we may or may not make the playoffs, but no one is going to want to play us in Nov and Dec. The team will be clicking and looking much, MUCH better.

And the NFCE as ****ty as it is, we may not need to win 7 straight this year.

Let's not personalize this stuff. It's okay to disagree here :). McD5 - are you saying Vinny, Zorn, and company is an equivalent scenario to where we are with the current coaches?

And for the record, I thought Snyder showed impatience with Zorn. You elevate a guy without experience and then expect him to figure it out anytime soon? If I were going to go with Zorn, I'd have given him 5 years if I really thought he was the guy.

Shanahan ain't Zorn.

WE ran the read-option first... He was also criticized for not addressing the offensive line last year, and we ended up having a ROOKIE break our FRANCHISE SINGLE SEASON RUSHING RECORD... guess who held that before Morris... JOHN THE DIESEL RIGGINS.

Agree wholeheartedly with your post, just wanted to point out that it was Clinton Portis who held the single-season rushing record (Stephen Davis & Terry Allen both broke John's record before CP did also), not The Diesel. Riggins holds the franchise career rushing record still though.

Let's not personalize this stuff. It's okay to disagree here :). McD5 - are you saying Vinny, Zorn, and company is an equivalent scenario to where we are with the current coaches?

No, I was saying that I don't "find it disrespectful to fans or team" to say that Vinny or Zorn didn't have it years ago, or that Shanahan may not be the right guy today.

No, I was saying that I don't "find it disrespectful to fans or team" to say that Vinny or Zorn didn't have it years ago, or that Shanahan may not be the right guy today.

Of course its not disrespectful, its your opinion. Its a ludicrous notion to think you're disrespecting anyone (other than Shanahan, lol). I personally disagree with you, but the continuous struggles finding a rhythm on offense & the time-management errors alone are enough to make me scratch my head and at least consider it.

In response to Ryman

Ok, to first address your response below the thread, he could have addressed the surrounding needs had the cap space been available. That's a MAJOR factor here that a lot of people are conveniently dismissing. Vincent Jackson was a target by this franchise, and we got handcuffed (not saying he's the key, just saying that's one instance where we weren't able to make the moves we wanted to in free agency.)

you said "(year before best defensive lineman on the team)" about Haynesworth

Absolutely... but the guy was an overpaid head case whose output on the field could NEVER offset the problems in the locker room. Are you actually saying you think Haynesworth didn't deserve to be let go? He didn't do anything after he left here either. Lets be honest, is the dropoff in production from Haynesworth to Coefield that big? I don't think so.

you said "(who shannhan traded a high pick for and installed as the QB)" about McNabb

Absolutely he did, and it was a bad decision. NOBODY saw that situation turning into what it did. I saw TONS of people wearing his jersey and cheering his arrival, I was one of them... But it got ugly, and Shanny had the biscuits to stand up to "the future hall of famer" and establish himself as the authority.

you said "(who was the offensive MVP the season before)" about Portis

Yeah, on an inept offense that went 8-8. They were 28th in points that year, and had to bring in a 'bingo' caller to be a consultant. Being the MVP of that offense is not something to hang your hat on.... I love Portis, he's one of my favorite Redskins, but when the light switch went off, Shanny saw it FAR before we did.

you said (who was a very good TE the year before shanny showed up) about Cooley

You can read into the diag on Portis the same way as Cooley, Cooley must have lost a step. Again, fan favorite, but this franchise also has a tendency to drag guys along and hang on too long. Not with these two.

you said (which a crazy statement as that pick could have brought us an upgrade on the Oline) about Cousins

Ok, so you think Grossman comes in the game against Baltimore and wins it, or beats Cleveland? I'll give you Cleveland, but ZERO chance Grossman wins that game against Baltimore, therefore there is NO division title.

you said (because the scheme combined with a superlative rushing qb froze defences) about the rushing record

So? Is that a deficiency? In fact I think that's more of a positive to good coaching then an indictment. Are you going to put that note in there in 20 years when were talking about this to our grandkids? It happened. Our O-Line isn't the best in the league, but our scheme (when executed) is built to move. Were not set up for a pocket passing, stand tall, Tom Brady type of QB. Why is this so hard to wrap our head around?

you said ( and the weakest link was the guy who shanny based the entire change in scheme on) about Orakpo

You mean he based his entire change in scheme on Orakpo? Even if he did, I didn't say Orakpo was a bad player at all in that scenario. What I said is that NOW you could argue he's the "weakest link" in our front 7. That's an endorsement of the front 7, not a bash on Orakpo... sometimes people can make comments and not ONLY be negative.

you said ( and traded a ridiculous proce to get him and then didnt find any talent to surround him with) about Griffin

Are you telling me you didn't want him to do it? That it wasn't worth it? Your comments have lined up to say we shouldn't have spent this much on Griffin and we shouldn't have drafted Cousins to back him up, so that means you think we should have rode it out with Grossman and Beck... is that what you're implying?

Last edited:
Offensive MVP on an 8-8 team is the equivalent to being the tallest midget.

Hayden Fox, he took the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles to a National Championship and the Expansion Orlando Breakers to the Playoffs.

coach-fox-luther-dauber.jpg

Only if they bring many of those Minnesota St. cheerleaders with them. Those Northern girls keep you warm at night.

I bet Luther could run a better defense than Haslett. lol

Loved that show!

Meh. Our talent sucks. It turns out trading the firsts was not an issue. We lost the cap space to use them anyway. We need two rebuilding years post cap hit. Just the way it is. No coach is working any magic with this lot. When Griff is right, he masks a lot of sins. He showed some signs. I expect to win the second half.

Here's a pretty good article discussing some of the top candidates, including my favorite, Jay Gruden. I'd also approach Jimbo from FSU. Pro style offense, amazing eye for talent, and big on defense.

Jay Gruden

Current: Offensive Coordinator-Cincinnati Bengals

What’s the Connection: Spent 7 years on the Tampa Bay Bucs staff with Bruce Allen.

What are the Odds: “Albert Haynesworth Huge”

Right now, of the names that have been rumored Jay Gruden has to be considered among the top, if not the top, choice. He has a strong connection to Bruce Allen. He was the HC of the Florida Tuskers of the UFL with FOD (Friend of Dan) Joe Theismann as a team owner/president. (Past and present Redskins coaches Jim Haslett, Sean McVay (who could stay on a Gruden staff), and Ike Hilliard were also on the Tuskers staff at one point with Gruden). And it would be much cheaper and easier to hire Jay Gruden than to buyout the contract of one of the college coaches listed above.

A New Head Coach?

At this point, what needs to happen for Mike to keep his job? The losses don't bother me as much as it appears the team is not responding to Shanny or playing hard for him anymore. That's a problem, but also highly subjective. So what would need to happen for him to stay?

From that article's list, McD, I'd be fine with Shaw or Gruden. Briles is interesting, but has no NFL HC experience, and would pretty clearly be a direct pander to Robert. If we get rid of Shanny, I think the message needs to be sent, at least indirectly, that Robert isn't running this behind the scene, which in my mind ought to be enough to strike Briles from the list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.