• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The New Head Coach Thread

I just don't see Snyder firing him after the season. I think Shanahan pleads his case about being strapped in free agency, and Snyder gives him another chance. Plus, he's only 1 year removed from a division crown, and Snyder isn't as trigger happy as he used to be

Snyder won 't really have to fire Shanahan, the team's descent from 3-5 to 3-8 and perhaps oblivion at 4-12 will do the trick.

This team IMO really lost something after the second half meltdown against the Vikings.

The competitive portion of the season was over and everyone realizes there will be major changes.

That type of locker room attitude doesn't lend itself to a late run to respectability.

Snyder won 't really have to fire Shanahan, the team's descent from 3-5 to 3-8 and perhaps oblivion at 4-12 will do the trick.

Not sure I'm following you - Shanahan isn't going to quit, so either Snyder fires him or he's back next year :)

I agree with Boone. Shanahan has $7 million riding on next season. If quits he forfeits the money. Snyder fires him and he still gets paid. There is the 7 million reasons Shanahan won't quit or retire.

I also seem to remember there is a clause in his contract to when he steps down he moves into front office.

My point us that unless there is a turnaround of attitude and execution over the next five weeks, many will be asking Snyder to fire Shanahan .

This won 't be like Marty where there was an 8-3 finish to the season and support from guys like LaVar Arrington to keep him on.

“Some of the (bleep) that happened yesterday you wouldn’t expect on the first day of rookie OTAs.
We had three dropped snaps and a couple things that were my fault. That is Mickey Mouse (bleep) football right there and we all had our hand in it. Everybody had their hand in it and it can’t happen for us to be as good as we want to be. Ever.“I can handle a drop every now and then. I can handle a guy beating you with a good pass rush move. I can handle certain things, but I can’t handle mental (bleep) time and time again.“Andy’s been a quarterback here for three (bleep) years and hasn’t had one dropped snap. Not one. We had three in one day! Concentration, poise. You’ve got to have it every snap in this game otherwise you’re going to get your ass beat time and time again, you’re going to be 18th ranked in offense, you’re going to be 9-7 or 8-8 and you’re going to be (bleep) watching the playoffs at home every year.“Yesterday we took a major step backwards and now today we’ve got to take two steps forward. You have to have great concentration, great attention to detail not just on Sundays. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. If you want to muddle around at .500 (bleep) then come out here and (bleep) around and (bleep) up. But if you want to be great, you’ve got to set your standards high and you’ve got to come out and go at it every (bleep) day.

--Jay Gruden

That's the kind of fire we've been missing here for way too long.

Last edited:
Career highlights and awards

6×*ArenaBowl*champion (V,*VII,*IX,*X,*XII,*XIV)

Super Bowl*champion (XXXVII)

AFL's 10th Anniversary Team*(1996)

AFL's Second Team 15th Anniversary Team*(2001)

Voted the*AFL's 4th Greatest Player of All Time (2012)

Career Arena football statistics

Comp. / Att.1,675 / 2,797Passing yards21,479

TD-INT397-99

QB Rating104.72Rushing TD5

Head coaching record

Regular season82–54 (.603)

Postseason11–7 (.611)

Career record93–61 (.604)

Gruden began his coaching career as the offensive coordinator for the*Nashville Kats*in 1997. Then, in 1998, he became head coach of the*Orlando Predators, the main rival of the Tampa Bay Storm. He won*ArenaBowl*titles in 1998 and 2000 as head coach.

He un-retired and resumed playing in 2002, this time for the Predators, but retired again and returned to head coaching when his replacement,*Fran Papasedero, died after the 2003 season. Gruden has an overall AFL career record of 93–61, including a record of 11–7 in the playoffs.

From 2002 to 2008 he also served as an offensive assistant for the*Tampa Bay Buccaneers*in the*National Football League*under his brother, head coach Jon Gruden. He left after Jon was fired following the 2008 season.

In 2009, while the Predators were on hiatus during the*bankruptcy reorganization*of the AFL, he was selected to be head coach*Jim Haslett's offensive coordinator for the*Florida Tuskers*of the*United Football League. As part of his contract, he was not permitted to remain head coach of the Predators. Instead, former Preds quarterback*Pat O'Hara, who led the team to the two ArenaBowls it won when Gruden was head coach, was hired in his place.

On February 20, 2010, Gruden was named head coach of the Tuskers following Haslett's departure to join*Mike Shanahan's staff with the*Washington Redskins.

[6]On February 3, 2011, Gruden was hired as the offensive coordinator for the*Cincinnati Bengals.

[7][8]On January 13, 2012, Gruden signed a three-year extension with the Cincinnati Bengals as their offensive coordinator,[9]*even after being asked to interview for at least three head coaching jobs (TheJacksonville Jaguars,*St. Louis Rams, and later turned down the*Indianapolis Colts, signing his extension shortly afterwards.)

[10]In January 2013, Gruden was interviewed by the*Arizona Cardinals, the*Philadelphia Eagles*and the*San Diego Chargers*for their vacant head coaching positions.[11][12]

you said "(who shannhan traded a high pick for and installed as the QB)" about McNabb

Absolutely he did, and it was a bad decision. NOBODY saw that situation turning into what it did. I saw TONS of people wearing his jersey and cheering his arrival, I was one of them... But it got ugly, and Shanny had the biscuits to stand up to "the future hall of famer" and establish himself as the authority.

Umm actually several people saw that this was a terrible move and spoke up about it. but Shanny has a tendency to think he knows better.

you said "(who shannhan traded a high pick for and installed as the QB)" about McNabb

Absolutely he did, and it was a bad decision. NOBODY saw that situation turning into what it did. I saw TONS of people wearing his jersey and cheering his arrival, I was one of them... But it got ugly, and Shanny had the biscuits to stand up to "the future hall of famer" and establish himself as the authority.

Umm actually several people saw that this was a terrible move and spoke up about it. but Shanny has a tendency to think he knows better.

Bahaha and you wonder why people call you out... That post was Oct 17th... And it was 3 pages ago

Oh and there were plenty of McNabb jerseys out there... I believe the slogan was "are you in?". Maybe its the distance from where you are, but around dc metro area there was excitement for McNabb.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.