• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Bombshell

In the Post, there’s an article about how the Commanders and NBCSports couldn’t come to a deal and all Washington football coverage will be dropped.

If I’m a bidder for this team, my bid just dropped. The team doesn’t have local sports’ shows? If part of the job is to reengage the local community this just makes that harder.

Snyder has erroded everything connected this team to the point where nobody will work with him.

In a weird and crazy way, it actually adds value to the franchise. The new owner will not be strapped with contracts (ahem... Washington Nationals and MASN) and has carte blanche to be able easily re-boot a sleeping giant of a fanbase. The new owner can dicatate the direction of media coverage, dictate the direction of a new stadium location as well as design... and do so without having locations, contracts, and restrictions forced upon them.

If I'm a new owner, I'd probably prefer to get off network and go streaming anyways. Much more cost effective, and lets be honest.... If the local coverage was getting anywhere near any level of profitibility from the shows... this wouldnt be happening. Very few people are actually sitting down at 12:30 to watch NBCSports Washington to see the pre-game. They're more likely tuning into the national networks to get updates on their fantasy football teams, before settling in to the actual broadcast shortly before kickoff.

Now, if George Michael or Glenn Brenner were still doing our local stuff I'd want a lifetime contract.

Now, if George Michael or Glenn Brenner were still doing our local stuff I'd want a lifetime contract.

And here lies the opportunity.

Take 'local' and make it national. Stream it so people can watch it anywhere in the country. If the shows do well enough, local stations will try to pick it up. We have fans around the world, not only on this board, but this fanbase. If we can get an actual streaming service that can be accessed from anywhere in the world, where people can be watching the pre-game on field stuff with local beat guys breaking down the latest news, injury updates, and whatever content you want... it's cheaper and more successful. Take a page out of the Pat McAfee playbook, run it on your own Youtube channel live.

The nfl continues to keep a round in the chamber in case Dan gets squirrelly

Patience, it’s only been an ‘investigation’ for 14 months now. With the NFL hell never freezes over.

Had to look him up. If true, I haven't seen anything on how he would even have enough juice to be a majority owner of a group unless it's a large group.

He played in the NBA and is very close to Christian Laettner. They have a number of businesses together and he and Laettner were in the original DC United ownership group but got bought out in 2009. They've also been involved in real estate together. I can't find much other than that. He went to high school in Maryland and may be a local kid. I don't know how much money he has, but I would bet this is a large group possibly with Laettner involved as well. That was the model at DC United.

Duke must be paying their ball players much more than the other cheating ass teams

This reminds me so much of last night’s season premiere of Succession on HBO.

Looks like Laettner went through involuntary bankruptcy in 2016 so maybe there's no involvement. Davis himself has been accused of financial impropieties so I'm not sure he's the kind of front guy you'd want leading a group to replace Dan Snyder?

Looks like Laettner went through involuntary bankruptcy in 2016 so maybe there's no involvement. Davis himself has been accused of financial impropieties so I'm not sure he's the kind of front guy you'd want leading a group to replace Dan Snyder?
Yeah...and I've yet to see where he's going to get the juice to be the lead guy unless it's all in private real estate transactions. They sold DC United in 2009 you said? Don't know what the price was then, but DC United was valued at just over $700 million last year so I'm sure it was much less than that then.

From 2012. Sounds like Snyder’s type of guys. Birds of a feather and all.

Doesn't sound good, does it?

From Deflategate…

The ball is in your court Roger, try not to trip over the baseline.

573EEC1A-F4CA-4363-9AE8-43749D6724A6.jpeg

Perhaps Laettner and Davis were suffering from reefer madness at the time of those unfortunate business decisions.

Didn't see this posted elsewhere. Jon Keim with a timeline of everything that has happened with Washington since Snyder took over. It's pretty sobering and painful to read all the mistakes and choices that were made.

Also...do I read this right.....the minority owners were bought out two years ago with a valuation of the club at around $900 million and now Snyder wants 7 billion? Did the valuation really jump that much in two years or was there something that kept it artificially low two years ago?

Didn't see this posted elsewhere. Jon Keim with a timeline of everything that has happened with Washington since Snyder took over. It's pretty sobering and painful to read all the mistakes and choices that were made.

Also...do I read this right.....the minority owners were bought out two years ago with a valuation of the club at around $900 million and now Snyder wants 7 billion? Did the valuation really jump that much in two years or was there something that kept it artificially low two years ago?

Their shares were valued at 900 million, not the entire team, stadium etc.

Unfortunately, the stadium is a tear down, not a real asset. Like a 1960's split foyer house that was rode hard by the people that lived in it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.