• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The 2022 Quarterback Thread

Fun Fact about Mariota :
Burrow beat 2 teams in this year's playoffs, knocking them both out in each of their first playoff appearances of the season.
Both of those teams he quickly booted from the playoffs, specifically denied Marcus Mariota of a Starting QB job, in one way or another : Raiders and Titans.
Maybe...they should have given Mariota more of a chance ?

Call me crazy but I'm not giving Mariota the nod over Tannehill, and I'm really not taking Mariota over Carr...

One thing to consider in all of this is when the front office believes this team can make a real push in the conference. And by push I mean a SERIOUS push.

If they truly feel they are a QB away, then yes, do whatever it takes to get a Wilson if available now. If it is deemed that this team is still being moulded and will likely be a work in progress for another year or two, then maybe the bridge guy with the hope of also identifying the signal caller in the draft that can immediately step in in 2023 and lead this team is the smarter route.

At the end of the day, I feel that the approach the organization take this offseason at QB will largely be a reflection of where the front office views this team's progress, maturation, and growth.

I ultimately think Rivera is going to have the luxury of time here. He isn't getting canned anytime soon and that might afford him the opportunity to be calculated in his decision making. A lot of us want the organization to press at this point at QB, but punting in the 2022 season, and grooming the right draft pick at QB with the hope of dominating by 2023 and 2024 is not necessarily a bad thing either.

I watched those games this past weekend in the divisional round. I might be off in thinking this, but I am not so certain that even with a big upgrade at QB, that as is, this team would be able to compete with the likes of the Rams, Niners, etc, in 2022.

Telling someone to continue being patient 30 years later sucks, but maybe it will be the reality for '22. Who knows.

I think that even if Wilson (or even Carr) is acquired this team will still be a work in progress for 2 more years, at a minimum.

I’m far from certain that Rivera is immune from the pressure of expectation for several seasons to come from the teams front front office, meaning the owner’s office. Rivera’s front office (and many fans) thought going into this past season that the team was on the precipice of being a serious division contender. We saw how that played out.

I expect that Marty, Marty, and Ron make every attempt possible to get Wilson or Carr. Short of that a bridge type qb with an NFL arm AND a rookie to develop seems to be the bare minimum that would keep Rivera safe from the the spotlight of Snyder’s impatience.

I don’t think it can ever be ‘do whatever it takes’. What if ‘whatever it takes’ is 4 first round picks? We cannot do a deal like that. Do we have to find a franchise QB? Yes. But it doesn’t have to be in any given season at any cost.

Im sort of done predicting what this team might do, or even should do to finally be settled at QB for the immediate future. Folks are getting paid a ton of money to figure this stuff out. Figure it out or we’ll be looking for someone else if you can’t.

Taylor Heineke. A lot of potential there.
We can grow with him given support and protection.

I still think Pickett COULD still be on the board at 11 also.

It would not shock me if Malik Willis launches himself up the draft boards after the combine because of his measurables of speed and athleticism. I'm not saying I would pick him first, but he could be the first QB off the board.

My feelings here...

The draft has a number of QBs but there are two interesting(?) things about them all...
1) There doesn't seem to be a common consensus on which (if any of them) is the cream of the crop. They all have flaws. From small hands to the number of sacks they've taken, there are knocks on them all.
2) The other common consensus seems to be that none of them are comparable to the top 5 QBs from last year. In fact, many pundits are saying even taking the top QB (whoever that may be) in the draft at #11 could be a stretch. Many are being billed as 2nd round talents in comparison to last year.

Now it may be that a QB needed draft pushes the stock of some of them up, but I'm not sure I see a bidding war atop the draft board to grab the prize QB.

Are any of them worth the number 5, 6, or 9 picks? Or is 11 a more likely pick spot for the top QB to be taken? Could NYG, CAR, and DEN wait till day 2 for their QB pick, safe in the knowledge that at least a few of the top candidates will still be available then?

I think there's a real possibility we're either the 1st or 2nd team to take a QB.

Alternatively, I do wonder if the top 2 or 3 QBs are off the board by 11, we may use that pick on something else and then roll the dice in Round 2.

As for my personal opinion on our path to QBX... I'd rather roll the dice with a rookie, play Heineke as a bridge QB (see what he can do with a healthy team) and give Ron the time to mold the team.
I can't say I'm excited about any of the Veteran prospects that I think are reasonably coming here. I don't think we'll get Wilson, I'm ambivalent to Carr, and I really DON'T want Rodgers (even my Wife, the Packers supporter, thinks he's a dick!)
The only one I'm intrigued about is Watson... but I'm not sure we need that kind of off-the-field trouble he might bring, especially as we're supposed to be on the verge of this awesome new rebrand. I can't see him being the 'face of the team' for the future.

No matter how it plays out, one thing is given in that the Commanders need to draft a kid. As far as the veteran route goes about the only one tempting is Wilson. No doubt Seattle will ask for three 1’s or something astronomical in exchange.

I’d give them a 1st and Chase Young for Wilson, maybe throw in another future pick if need be. And I wouldn’t have to agonize over it.

Boone I'd take that deal but the future pick would have to be a 2nd, not a first. Wilson is talented, he's a proven winner however we are not a team that is a QB away from glory and cannot sacrifice multiple number 1 picks for any QB.

Where I'm at - draft who you think might be the guy but will need two years to develop - sign Jameis or Bridgewater while building the rest of the team

I want to be that all in guy and initially I was, I think Carr could be a long term answer but I also think the resources we'd have to give up to get him depletes are ability to fill necessary gaps. This team finished 7-9 against some weird and odd circumstances with injuries, covid and the brutal end of year schedule but I don't think Carr takes us anywhere other than a 1st round playoff loss at this moment and how much is that worth? We've put off an actual rebuild for too long, I'm ready to eat some dirt for another 2 years until the team as a whole is ready to compete.

Draft who you think is the guy and let him sit while Heinicke holds the fort until he's ready.

Boone I'd take that deal but the future pick would have to be a 2nd, not a first. Wilson is talented, he's a proven winner however we are not a team that is a QB away from glory and cannot sacrifice multiple number 1 picks for any QB.

Where I'm at - draft who you think might be the guy but will need two years to develop - sign Jameis or Bridgewater while building the rest of the team

I want to be that all in guy and initially I was, I think Carr could be a long term answer but I also think the resources we'd have to give up to get him depletes are ability to fill necessary gaps. This team finished 7-9 against some weird and odd circumstances with injuries, covid and the brutal end of year schedule but I don't think Carr takes us anywhere other than a 1st round playoff loss at this moment and how much is that worth? We've put off an actual rebuild for too long, I'm ready to eat some dirt for another 2 years until the team as a whole is ready to compete.

Just curious... what's missing so bad that we're 2+ years away?

Just curious... what's missing so bad that we're 2+ years away?

Currently only a true NFL QB, another threat at WR, and a MLB plus some spare parts in my mind.

Give me Carr*, a healthy Samuels, another DB or two, and one more RB. QB is the missing link. A good one that can make all the throws covers up a lot of concerns.

(I think Wilson is a pipe dream.)

Currently only a true NFL QB, another threat at WR, and a MLB plus some spare parts in my mind.

Give me Carr*, a healthy Samuels, another DB or two, and one more RB. QB is the missing link. A good one that can make all the throws covers up a lot of concerns.

(I think Wilson is a pipe dream.)

That list doesn't scream 2+ years away to me.

For me just the eye test, gut feeling, we plug in a good QB we might be a playoff team but to be a true contender we need more. We need another WR, we need a RB we can depend on not to fumble. MLB as all are aware and who knows what positional attrition we will have. There's people we're going to have to pay and that eats up cap and there's players we're going to lose in FA. This is why I say 2+ years. Maybe it's two years but I'm not getting my expectations hyped like many of us did too start the 2021 season.

If we'd been even somewhat healthy in 2021, we're a playoff team. Add in really good QB play we are a team no one wants to play in the playoffs.

If we'd been even somewhat healthy in 2021, we're a playoff team. Add in really good QB play we are a team no one wants to play in the playoffs.
Hell, if Thomas is healthy and the Oline is healthy, they get there with Heinicke, imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.