• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The 2022 Quarterback Thread

Chris

Ring of Fame
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
This is a pivotal off-season for the franchise at the most important position in all of team sports. There is so much chatter across all online platforms that it deserves it’s own dedicated thread.

I will start-

I don’t think that there is a snowballs chance in hell that any of the blue-chip free agent vets (Rodgers, Wilson, Watson) land in D.C.

#4 on my list is Derek Carr. Intriguing but doubtful.
#5 is Jimmy Garoppolo. Possible but not intriguing.

My hope is for a bridge qb with an NFL arm and a rookie at 11 to develop. 11 is most likely not a great value but over-paying with draft capital is going to be necessary to get the guy you love (or really like) in this thin class.

Reactions: Om
I wouldn’t go after Rodgers. I know there has been rumors of a rift between he and LaFluer and he and management. If he leaves GB, he’s going for a ready made winner like Pittsburgh or SF. Those teams are a QB away from a Super Bowl. There may be other goods teams like CLE or Indy that would dump the losers they have. But The football team is not ready to go for the SB this year.

Here is what I think about each possible guy that could be available. Maybe none are available, but these are the rumored guys.

Wilson - Definitely the top choice. Go hard after him like they did with Stafford. You have a guy who has performed at a high level and has been a winner. You could have him for several years as well. There is no pressure to draft a QB now if you get Wilson. They just have to weigh the cost of making such a move and see if it’s worth it.

Ryan - He might be the perfect guy to be a transition QB. Have him play for 2 or 3 years until a rookie is ready. And with Ryan, you don’t have to draft a QB this year. You can set yourself up to draft one next year. He may not be a top 5 QB anymore, but he’s good enough to succeed anywhere he goes.

Carr - I said it in another thread. I think he can succeed with the right O Coordinator. I don’t know if Turner is that guy. Maybe he is and he hasn’t had a QB to work with.

Watson - No way. Not until his legal troubles are cleared up and maybe not even after that. The things he allegedly did were pretty awful and I wouldn’t want that baggage. And you also have to consider the damage the team has done to itself with their own sexual harassment problems. Saying yeah, we cleaned this up, then paying a big price to get a guy that has allegedly sexually harassed and assaulted many woman would completely contradict that. Now that I type this out, that’s probably who they get. This is their kind of move. He and Snyder can go to sexual addiction rehab and sensitivity training together. I’m sure he’s already thinking about his new best friend.

Jimmy G - I’m not convinced he’s a good QB. He misses throws in the biggest moments. And he’s a game manager most of the time, which means they only need him to make throws in certain moments. Yet he misses them when he needs them. To me, this is the bottom of the barrel of starting QBs to bring in.

Wentz - No. The guy can’t be trusted with the ball

Mayfield - No. Too much drama for such little production.

As for backups in the league, the intriguing one is Huntley. But if I were Baltimore, I’d hold on to him. He’s the perfect backup to Jackson.

Other backups that have been around, Dalton, Foles, Keenum, Tyrod Taylor, Minshew, and others like this. You would really be desperate with those guys. At this point you would have to ask if any of these guys right now are better than Heinicke and Allen. Pretty tough call in my opinion.

Wilson- My #1 choice but I would be surprised if he sees Washington as a preferred destination.

Ryan- Far too expensive at this point in his career unless Atlanta wants to eat the current contract money owed. ( and they won’t want to do that.) Reminds me of the Scott Brunell signing.

As far as the draft goes (if there is a QB that they really like, meaning the football side not the owner) time is a wasting. Nearly all take time to develop so go for it now.

I just saw a mock draft that had us picking Matt Corral at QB with our 1st Round pick.
I don't know much about him, or if he's worth picking in that slot, but Corral is a great name for a QB who is going to be playing against the Cowboys twice a year.

I wouldn’t go after Rodgers. I know there has been rumors of a rift between he and LaFluer and he and management. If he leaves GB, he’s going for a ready made winner like Pittsburgh or SF. Those teams are a QB away from a Super Bowl. There may be other goods teams like CLE or Indy that would dump the losers they have. But The football team is not ready to go for the SB this year.

Here is what I think about each possible guy that could be available. Maybe none are available, but these are the rumored guys.

Wilson - Definitely the top choice. Go hard after him like they did with Stafford. You have a guy who has performed at a high level and has been a winner. You could have him for several years as well. There is no pressure to draft a QB now if you get Wilson. They just have to weigh the cost of making such a move and see if it’s worth it.

Ryan - He might be the perfect guy to be a transition QB. Have him play for 2 or 3 years until a rookie is ready. And with Ryan, you don’t have to draft a QB this year. You can set yourself up to draft one next year. He may not be a top 5 QB anymore, but he’s good enough to succeed anywhere he goes.

Carr - I said it in another thread. I think he can succeed with the right O Coordinator. I don’t know if Turner is that guy. Maybe he is and he hasn’t had a QB to work with.

Watson - No way. Not until his legal troubles are cleared up and maybe not even after that. The things he allegedly did were pretty awful and I wouldn’t want that baggage. And you also have to consider the damage the team has done to itself with their own sexual harassment problems. Saying yeah, we cleaned this up, then paying a big price to get a guy that has allegedly sexually harassed and assaulted many woman would completely contradict that. Now that I type this out, that’s probably who they get. This is their kind of move. He and Snyder can go to sexual addiction rehab and sensitivity training together. I’m sure he’s already thinking about his new best friend.

Jimmy G - I’m not convinced he’s a good QB. He misses throws in the biggest moments. And he’s a game manager most of the time, which means they only need him to make throws in certain moments. Yet he misses them when he needs them. To me, this is the bottom of the barrel of starting QBs to bring in.

Wentz - No. The guy can’t be trusted with the ball

Mayfield - No. Too much drama for such little production.

As for backups in the league, the intriguing one is Huntley. But if I were Baltimore, I’d hold on to him. He’s the perfect backup to Jackson.

Other backups that have been around, Dalton, Foles, Keenum, Tyrod Taylor, Minshew, and others like this. You would really be desperate with those guys. At this point you would have to ask if any of these guys right now are better than Heinicke and Allen. Pretty tough call in my opinion.

I'm surprised there was no mention of Mariota, even in the "backups" list.
He was a hot name last offseason. And I don't think anything has happened to downgrade his value.
I'm curious how others view him.

I just saw a mock draft that had us picking Matt Corral at QB with our 1st Round pick.
I don't know much about him, or if he's worth picking in that slot, but Corral is a great name for a QB who is going to be playing against the Cowboys twice a year.

Carson Strong is a great football name too.

He was a hot name last offseason. And I don't think anything has happened to downgrade his value.

I think Mariota will be considered as a bridge if they draft a qb. I view him basically as Heinicke with a better arm.

Just my guess, but I think Mariota's fate depends on Carr's.
It seems unlikely that the Raiders let both QB's depart.
If they trade Carr, then Mariota may become that "bridge" QB for them.
Or who knows, maybe they do both depart, if the new GM/HC really want to bIow things up.

I think Vegas keeps Carr. That’s why I classified him as intriguing but doubtful.

I just couldn’t list them all. Marriota is definitely in that backup group. I don’t know how he’d do, but he falls into the possible backup that they could go after.

There is 1 hope that Wilson would be attracted to the Commanders…he went to HS in Richmond. Whether or not that’s enough to sway him is another matter.

If a team drafting top 5 would switch picks with the team for either Payne or Young id hope they take the kid from Pitt..Pickett. Wouldn’t offer anything higher than that tho.

Besides Pickett I believe they could win with guys like Howell or Strong standing pat at 11.

Looking at the draft, these are the teams that need a QB and could draft one. This is not saying they will as I don't know how they prioritize their needs. Additionally, you never know how teams rank each of the QBs available.

Jax - No
Det - Doubtful
Hou - Doubtful (I think they like Davis Mills)
NYJ - No
NYG - Yes
Car - Yes
NYG - See above
Atl - Maybe, it depends on what they do with Ryan
Den - Yes
NYJ - No
WAS - Yes

So 3 teams definitely looking for a QB above them. A couple of others that might look to upgrade depending on their needs and how they rank the QBs. I saw a mock where Pickett fell to the Football Team. If there are truly 3 teams with QB needs in front of them, I doubt the top QB on the board falls to 11th. Especially with the Giants having 2 picks. You'd think one of them would definitely be a QB. This could be a repeat of the 2019 draft and that did not work out for the Giants nor the Football team.

I think that New Orleans could look to trade up for a QB if they are enamored with any of the prospects.

If the WFT does indeed acquire a bridge qb I wouldn’t hate them selecting Malik Willis to develop.

I think that New Orleans could look to trade up for a QB if they are enamored with any of the prospects.

Yeah, they are a team that you don’t know how much they believe in their QBs. Those are the ones that can always move up when you don’t expect it. I also wonder which QBs will fall to round 2. I don’t think the Team would pass on a guy they like to try and get him in round 2. But if there is a guy at another position they really like, what are the chances they get still get a guy in round 2.

Something else to remember is the team tried trading up for Justin Fields last draft. I’m hoping they don’t go the dual threat route and just get a smart pocket passer with at least some escapability. RG3 injury was plenty enough of those shenanigans to last me a lifetime.

Howell and Strong both have strong arms to actually hit TM in stride…deep

I still think Pickett COULD still be on the board at 11 also.

It would not shock me if Malik Willis launches himself up the draft boards after the combine because of his measurables of speed and athleticism. I'm not saying I would pick him first, but he could be the first QB off the board.

Fun Fact about Mariota :
Burrow beat 2 teams in this year's playoffs, knocking them both out in each of their first playoff appearances of the season.
Both of those teams he quickly booted from the playoffs, specifically denied Marcus Mariota of a Starting QB job, in one way or another : Raiders and Titans.
Maybe...they should have given Mariota more of a chance ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.