• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sproles released... Fit for us?

Plus the browns have 2 first rounders.. trade the no. 26 to the Redskins and use the no. 4 on Sammy Watkins... you've just upgraded your offense 10 fold

I really want sproles. I wanted hester, but sproles would be better.

Browns just traded Trent Richardson to Indy for a first, a move called crazy by many (myself included). After Richardson basically flopped with the Colts, looks like Cleveland isn't as inept as some say. At least in terms of trades.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Wait, what? He's going back to Indy?!

Wait, what? He's going back to Indy?!

"Just" was probably a poor choice of word. :) I meant recently, as in this past season.

Edit: did Indy release him? I must have missed that. Talk about one of the worst trades of all time if so...

Last edited by a moderator:
what we pay sproles will determine if I think this team has even a sniff of a clue, if we pay much more than 1.5 we can pretty much say that we are not going anywhere for a long long time

No longer screamin "HELL NO" are we? :lift:

I'm with you. I only want Sproles if he benefits the team. Over-paying him does not benefit the team. Adding a piece at a reasonable price does.

Special teams returner, back with hands and wiggle that can catch and be deadly in open space, and not a half bad regular back.

He will be an impact player. I agree 1.5 is about max.

He will be an impact player. I agree 1.5 is about max.

Maybe. He's 31 and lost a step. I think he could contribute a few big plays on third downs, but other than he'll probably be unremarkable.

Call me one who is adamantly against this. Sproles isn't just poor in blocking. He's a liability enough for NO to let him go and not even flinch about it. We don't need a RB who can't step out and block, in fact if I were going to look at any position on the team and say stand pat it would be RB. WTF are we even talking about upgrading here given the state of the rest of the team? No thanks...pass.

Maybe. He's 31 and lost a step. I think he could contribute a few big plays on third downs, but other than he'll probably be unremarkable.

and for $1.5 mil, to look for 'remarkable' is an unfair expectation. Helu/Royster/Thompson aren't 'remarkable' at this point, so it wouldn't take much for Sproles to be an upgrade, and with Helu making $1.4 next year, more production at essentially the same cost sure sounds like an upgrade to me.

Call me one who is adamantly against this. Sproles isn't just poor in blocking. He's a liability enough for NO to let him go and not even flinch about it. We don't need a RB who can't step out and block, in fact if I were going to look at any position on the team and say stand pat it would be RB. WTF are we even talking about upgrading here given the state of the rest of the team? No thanks...pass.

Mainly because he's inexpensive, and Gruden was able to get a massive amount of production out of Bernard last year... Sproles could be a similar type weapon...

But is he inexpensive? I see $1.5M thrown around, but is that realistic? I'm not so sure. That's barely above the vet minimum.

I'm on the fence. If we can get him cheaply, sure, what's the harm. I just think he's going to be more expensive than $1.5M.

But is he inexpensive? I see $1.5M thrown around, but is that realistic? I'm not so sure. That's barely above the vet minimum.

This entire thread has been posted with the contingent that we pay the right price for him. It's a hypothetical. EVERYONE who has agreed, has said "as long as we dong overpay." If he's more expensive, he's not worth it... that's been stated numerous times as well. He was slated to make $3.5 this year, and he's competing about Jones-Drew, Ben Tate, Knowshon Moreno, Legarrette Blount, Darren McFadden, and a long list of other RBs on the market. Those guys I just mentioned are starting day 1 material, and the depth of possibilities is going to drive the price for a 31 year old scheme back down. He's not the type of guy who can walk into any situation and be a 1500 yard rusher. I don't see why he would be alarmingly expensive, but if someone offers him more then $2 mil a year, see ya. This was a hypothetical based on if we could get him for the right price.

Calm down, Silent baby. All I said was that I'm not sure the hypothetical is realistic.

plus special teams

which were historically bad last year (though one could argue it was a protection/blocking issue and sproles won't fix that)

I think he provides a weapon we don't have, and we're a team that doesn't have enough weapons but has lots of cap space.

also, guys that become cap casualties (which is the indication with sproles i believe?) don't normally have much leverage in contract negotiations.

if they had that leverage someone else would have been the casualty for the team. we shouldn't have to over pay for a guy that can provide the best punt/kick returner we've had since brian mitchell (I'm not say he's anywhere near as good at mitchell, just that he's likely the best we've had since) plus provide a set of hands out of the back field on 3rd down - and be a threat on a 3rd and 6 draw to actually get the first down.

as long as his health checks out and he's inline with 1-2 mil/year contract, i think it's a no-brainer for a team that can't afford to pass up no-brainers right now.

plus special teams

which were historically bad last year (though one could argue it was a protection/blocking issue and sproles won't fix that)

I think he provides a weapon we don't have, and we're a team that doesn't have enough weapons but has lots of cap space.

It might not be blocking, but adding a threat out of the backfield occupies a defender, and while he might not stack up against him, causing that defender to be paying attention to him is just as effective when used correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.