• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So You Are Excited by a 5th Round QB...

Both Logan Paulson and John Keim referred to the Howell pick as ’a flyer’ in todays draft recap video.

Just sayin’ 😉

(Very positive opinions on the overall draft btw)

All of the quarterbacks in this draft were flyers :3some:

Kenny Pickett would have been a third round pick in a normal draft year.

If you are taking a guy as a ‘flyer’ with the first pick of round 5 where solid depth and sometimes even starters can be found - you are doing it wrong :)

If you are taking a guy as a ‘flyer’ with the first pick of round 5 where solid depth and sometimes even starters can be found - you are doing it wrong :)

I think we're parsing words

Howell is a 'flyer' because he's not coming in with the expectation to be the day 1 starter, but if he hit's, it's a home run.

Howell is not a 'flyer' in the sense that you would describe a 7th round QB that's got all the physical tools but only started 1 season in college with moderate success... but the body and arm are clearly there.

2 different things.

For the record I am not against his selection. The team was open about wanting to add a QB somewhere in this draft and they did.

With the importance of the position, a roll of the dice at that point is prudent. Much more so than say a DB that could potentially be good. The value of possibly hitting on the QB significantly trumps another choice.

I firmly maintain that Howell is Heinicke with a better arm. And there is nothing wrong with that. Potential franchise QB? Nope.

Kids got an arm…

Thank you for posting this. As a Tar Heels fan and graduate. It just makes me feel good when I see NC players in B&G. We now have 3. Holcomb, "Deuce", and Sam. The 2021 Tar Heels had to rely on him basically all year with players that sat behind WRs -Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome, RBs - Javonte Williams and Michael Carter. That's talking

I was reading up on Howell over the last week, and watched some of the tape on him. I think Posse is right, he suffered a stats drop last year becuase his supporting cast was weakened horribly. But it did give him an opportunity to show what his legs could do (albeit he was running for his life sometimes!)
I think the things he's being criticised for could correct themselves with time and tutelage. I'm really quite pleased with the pick.
I could easily see a path where we release Heineke a year from now, and move Howell into the backup role, and then see how he performs against Wentz in training camp. I think there's a pathway to starter for him in the long run.

Look. It's simple. Any time, any way - ANY - that you can acquire a QB who *could* turn out to be a great starter or even a franchise QB, and you didn't have to pay a King's ransom to do it - that's a huge win. A lottery ticket gives you a chance, and we have bought far too few of them over the years.

Howell could be the next Kurt Warner or Drew Brees, or he could be JAG. No one knows, certainly not we as fans. Even if he turns out just to be Chad Pennington, that was still a great pick up.

I was reading up on Howell over the last week, and watched some of the tape on him. I think Posse is right, he suffered a stats drop last year becuase his supporting cast was weakened horribly. But it did give him an opportunity to show what his legs could do (albeit he was running for his life sometimes!)
I think the things he's being criticised for could correct themselves with time and tutelage. I'm really quite pleased with the pick.
I could easily see a path where we release Heineke a year from now, and move Howell into the backup role, and then see how he performs against Wentz in training camp. I think there's a pathway to starter for him in the long run.

I really thought this pick spelled the end for Heinicke, but listening to Rivera's comments, he sounded very certain that Taylor would be the entrenched backup this season at a minimum. Of course, Howell could change the equation between now and the season by impressing. I will say, I think they really admire Heinicke and what he's able to get done on the field despite his physical limitations, more so than maybe we realize.

I admit that I will take a flyer on a lottery ticket from time to time when the prize is worth it. 😉

Seriously though, your point is very valid and I fully agree. It should be an annual strategy.

I admit that I will take a flyer on a lottery ticket from time to time when the prize is worth it. 😉

Seriously though, your point is very valid and I fully agree. It should be an annual strategy.

I'm the same way. I am now a worshipper at Brother Om's Church of QB, where the only Commandment is that you draft a guy every damn year until you hit on one.

I really thought this pick spelled the end for Heinicke, but listening to Rivera's comments, he sounded very certain that Taylor would be the entrenched backup this season at a minimum. Of course, Howell could change the equation between now and the season by impressing. I will say, I think they really admire Heinicke and what he's able to get done on the field despite his physical limitations, more so than maybe we realize.

Rivera was pretty open this off-season about wanting 3 qbs. Taylor absolutely earned the right to be the #2 up until someone beats him out.

1. SAM HOWELL, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS
Howell comes enters the NFL with no expectations other than to develop behind Carson Wentz, given where he was drafted. The good news — for Howell’s sake — is Wentz's extensive injury history could thrust the rookie into playing time, and the Commanders have no dead money committed to Wentz after 2022. That couldn’t put less pressure on Howell to transition from the college-y offense he ran at North Carolina to the pro game.

As important as all the above is the talent the Commanders already employ offensively. PFF ranked their offensive line sixth by the end of the 2021 season. Even though they lost Brandon Scherff, they added Andrew Norwell and can expect a leap in play from second-year right tackle Sam Cosmi. Howell also pairs up with his top collegiate target in Dyami Brown in what’s now a loaded receiving corps after the Commanders added Jahan Dotson in Round 1. That’s the best supporting cast of any quarterback on this list.

Interesting logic here... I don't necessarily disagree, and it's probably the 'softest'' landing spot as those other guys are being leaned on to take a legit shot at being the future sooner rather than later. I also have to agree regarding weapons. The O-line, i'm not so sure about. I think they've played WELL, but I also thing Heinicke bailed them out a lot last year, for better or for worse, so we'll see there.

I am kind of excited about Howell. I hope we get to watch this kid grow. Part of that is I hope we're not talking about him week 5, and if we should be giving him a shot. There will be fans that are calling 'for the kid' very early, so I hope Wentz is successful enough to prevent that from being the underlying narrative all season long (and obviously because i want to see the team succeed).

Does Wentz really have 'an extensive injury history'? That seems a little overblown. I just ran the numbers and he has played in 88% of all games he was available in over 6 seasons. He's had some tough luck - an ACL and fractured vertebrae. But he's also reportedly played with some injury issues (including have both ankles sprained). I think short of major injury he's shown himself to be a gutsy guy.

He's played a 'complete' season 3 out of 6 seasons. He's had quite a few injuries, and i think the biggest concers are the knees and the back...

1653917721045.png

I get it - but that's very misleading because he only missed significant time with the back fracture and ACL/LCL tear. The other injuries are the kind suffered by almost every NFL QB. I'm not dismissing the concern outright, just saying it's overblown. He played 17 games last season so there's no real reason to think he's at any more risk of injury than other QBs.

There's not much going on right now, so I've got to find something to argue about :)

Anyway, I like Howell but I think it would take a desparate situation for him to go in as starter any time soon. If Wentz goes down, I believe Heinicke will be the starter, not Howell, so the 'Wentz is brittle' argument doesn't really matter regardless of whether it's correct or overblown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.