• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So You Are Excited by a 5th Round QB...

It is done.

Chris

Super Bowl MVP
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Both Logan Paulson and John Keim referred to the Howell pick as ’a flyer’ in todays draft recap video.

Just sayin’ 😉

(Very positive opinions on the overall draft btw)

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

All of the quarterbacks in this draft were flyers :3some:

Kenny Pickett would have been a third round pick in a normal draft year.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

If you are taking a guy as a ‘flyer’ with the first pick of round 5 where solid depth and sometimes even starters can be found - you are doing it wrong :)

SilentThreat

Super Bowl MVP
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

If you are taking a guy as a ‘flyer’ with the first pick of round 5 where solid depth and sometimes even starters can be found - you are doing it wrong :)

I think we're parsing words

Howell is a 'flyer' because he's not coming in with the expectation to be the day 1 starter, but if he hit's, it's a home run.

Howell is not a 'flyer' in the sense that you would describe a 7th round QB that's got all the physical tools but only started 1 season in college with moderate success... but the body and arm are clearly there.

2 different things.

Chris

Super Bowl MVP
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

For the record I am not against his selection. The team was open about wanting to add a QB somewhere in this draft and they did.

With the importance of the position, a roll of the dice at that point is prudent. Much more so than say a DB that could potentially be good. The value of possibly hitting on the QB significantly trumps another choice.

I firmly maintain that Howell is Heinicke with a better arm. And there is nothing wrong with that. Potential franchise QB? Nope.

Posse Lover

The UDFA
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

North Carolina

Kids got an arm…

Thank you for posting this. As a Tar Heels fan and graduate. It just makes me feel good when I see NC players in B&G. We now have 3. Holcomb, "Deuce", and Sam. The 2021 Tar Heels had to rely on him basically all year with players that sat behind WRs -Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome, RBs - Javonte Williams and Michael Carter. That's talking

Knightingale

The Team Captain
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

I was reading up on Howell over the last week, and watched some of the tape on him. I think Posse is right, he suffered a stats drop last year becuase his supporting cast was weakened horribly. But it did give him an opportunity to show what his legs could do (albeit he was running for his life sometimes!)
I think the things he's being criticised for could correct themselves with time and tutelage. I'm really quite pleased with the pick.
I could easily see a path where we release Heineke a year from now, and move Howell into the backup role, and then see how he performs against Wentz in training camp. I think there's a pathway to starter for him in the long run.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Look. It's simple. Any time, any way - ANY - that you can acquire a QB who *could* turn out to be a great starter or even a franchise QB, and you didn't have to pay a King's ransom to do it - that's a huge win. A lottery ticket gives you a chance, and we have bought far too few of them over the years.

Howell could be the next Kurt Warner or Drew Brees, or he could be JAG. No one knows, certainly not we as fans. Even if he turns out just to be Chad Pennington, that was still a great pick up.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

I was reading up on Howell over the last week, and watched some of the tape on him. I think Posse is right, he suffered a stats drop last year becuase his supporting cast was weakened horribly. But it did give him an opportunity to show what his legs could do (albeit he was running for his life sometimes!)
I think the things he's being criticised for could correct themselves with time and tutelage. I'm really quite pleased with the pick.
I could easily see a path where we release Heineke a year from now, and move Howell into the backup role, and then see how he performs against Wentz in training camp. I think there's a pathway to starter for him in the long run.
I really thought this pick spelled the end for Heinicke, but listening to Rivera's comments, he sounded very certain that Taylor would be the entrenched backup this season at a minimum. Of course, Howell could change the equation between now and the season by impressing. I will say, I think they really admire Heinicke and what he's able to get done on the field despite his physical limitations, more so than maybe we realize.

Chris

Super Bowl MVP
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

I admit that I will take a flyer on a lottery ticket from time to time when the prize is worth it. 😉

Seriously though, your point is very valid and I fully agree. It should be an annual strategy.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

I admit that I will take a flyer on a lottery ticket from time to time when the prize is worth it. 😉

Seriously though, your point is very valid and I fully agree. It should be an annual strategy.
I'm the same way. I am now a worshipper at Brother Om's Church of QB, where the only Commandment is that you draft a guy every damn year until you hit on one.

Chris

Super Bowl MVP
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

I really thought this pick spelled the end for Heinicke, but listening to Rivera's comments, he sounded very certain that Taylor would be the entrenched backup this season at a minimum. Of course, Howell could change the equation between now and the season by impressing. I will say, I think they really admire Heinicke and what he's able to get done on the field despite his physical limitations, more so than maybe we realize.
Rivera was pretty open this off-season about wanting 3 qbs. Taylor absolutely earned the right to be the #2 up until someone beats him out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friend 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you Sandy ❤