• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Trade for Panthers QB Kyle Allen

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
The Redskins are acquiring Panthers 2nd year QB Kyle Allen in a trade that will send the Redskins 2020 5th round pick to Carolina.

Allen started 12 games for the Panthers in 2019, racking up 3322 yds while completing 62% of his passes. Allen threw for 17 TDs, while rushing for almost 400 yds.

Allen did throw 16 interceptions but was under duress on nearly every passing down behind an offensive line that allowed him to be sacked 46 times.

He is a very talented young QB who knows Turners offense. Haskins is still the presumed starter but have no doubt Allen will press him considerably.

We needed to spend a 5th rounder for a backup QB?

I understand the kid knows the offense and all, but man, we're already down a 2nd. And it's not like this team doesn't have a ton of holes to fill ...

We had to have one (unless we want to pin our hopes on Alex Smiths leg). You can’t bring in some former starter without creating a drama storm of epic proportions. We can’t afford a 2nd contract guy with the QB $$ we have tied up in Smith. The only other option was to draft a guy, probably using the same pick or later possibly.

Yhis is a perfect move. He is cheap. He can absolutely ball (you guys need to watch some clips of him from last season), and yes - he knows the offense.

We got absolute value at a critical position of need for a 5th round pick, something that we have not done consistently on the draft.

Be happy. This is a very smart move.

We needed to spend a 5th rounder for a backup QB?

I understand the kid knows the offense and all, but man, we're already down a 2nd. And it's not like this team doesn't have a ton of holes to fill ...

Because if we didn't we would only have the guy you don't think is ever going to come back or should come back.

Because if we didn't we would only have the guy you don't think is ever going to come back or should come back.

Oh I'd much rather have a guy like Allen than Smith at this point. I just would rather not give up another pick for a guy we hope never has to play. We should be able to sign some journeyman to fill that spot without giving up a pick for him.

A team that is rebuilding off a 3-win season needs all the picks it can get. Spending a pick on a guy backing up a young prospect is a luxury I wouldn't think we could afford right now.

Not the end of the world, but I'm not thrilled with the move.

You put a lot of stock in to the 5th round! If the kid can compete, teach, or start at QB knowing the system already its a good deal. 3300 yards and 17TDs on that terrible team is definitely a step in that direction.

Plus, he's still on his rookie deal.

Of course you can.

I think you're wrong :) But even if you aren't - we couldn't afford any of them Henry. Look at the money we have tied up in the position. Allen costs us $675,000 each of the next 2 years (or in that ballpark. EDIT: Experienced backups are going to run you 5 - 10x that much. That's the reality.

Besides - watch some film on Allen. This kid can absolutely play.

Last edited:
This is a perfect move. Young, with some talent, and a year experience playing in this offense. Against starting defenses.
For a dollar $2.98, and a 5th rd pick. Big effing whoop. Can't draft that in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th round.

Unless you're just looking for something to complain about, there is nothing wrong about this move.

Bravo on this move. That is all.

Yeah, I've said in other threads the money and experience are one thing...take into account we were likely going to take a QB in the latter rounds anyway, and this seems like a great move to me.

Edit: And you know what makes me happiest about this move? All the pundits who kept crowing, Cam Newton to the Skins makes the most sense, can now STFU already!

We just traded Dunbar to the Hawks for a 5th round pick.

I'm so confused! When the games begin I won't know if I am cheering the Skins or booing the Panthers! What's the theory in play here? Take a 3-13 team, a 5-11 team, mix em up to get a winning team?

Eh. At this point I assume the reality is they don't have many options and are working with the hand that was dealt. I see some are rating young Chase the best prospect in the draft. It would be fun watching him play for the Skins if he is as good as predicted. Looking forward to the draft......hope these moves don't foretell a trade-down.

So we basically traded a talented, yet disgruntled CB (Dunbar) for a solid backup quarterback. In Dunbar, the reality is that while he is a fairly ascending player, he was not going to be in Washington beyond the 2020 season. In Allen, you have a guy that will play for peanuts for a few years that can legitimately push our starter and hopefully help him blossom into the player we all want Dewayne to become. If Allen helps Haskins stay hungry and Dewayne shines, we gain more from that compared to losing a #2 corner. If we sign a Breeland type player to a decent deal, we will all feel better in a few days about losing a crybaby like Dunbar. Not to mention, your backup QB is always one play away from becoming the most important guy on the field. I would love to see this fanbase's reaction if Haskins pooped the bed out of the gate in September and we had to rely on a 7th round QB. People would call for Rivera's head. Once again, filling out depth positions with guys that have started games and showed glimpses of being promising continues to be a theme for one of the most injured teams in the league the last few years. Cannot say I disagree entirely with this approach. We might have a fighting chance every once in a while if we go into a Sunday with a rash of injuries.

the draft is DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP with corners. Dunny is as good as done

I'm so confused! When the games begin I won't know if I am cheering the Skins or booing the Panthers! What's the theory in play here? Take a 3-13 team, a 5-11 team, mix em up to get a winning team?

Eh. At this point I assume the reality is they don't have many options and are working with the hand that was dealt. I see some are rating young Chase the best prospect in the draft. It would be fun watching him play for the Skins if he is as good as predicted. Looking forward to the draft......hope these moves don't foretell a trade-down.
Come on brother, you trying to say you're not old enough to remember "The Ramskins" . Hmmmm!

This is a sound football move.

Cannot remember the last time the Skins won in a trade.
Lachey ?
we got a backup QB that we needed
got him for cheap
got rid of a malcontent CB that was injured most of the time
got the 5th round pick back

how did we lose that trade again?

The difference between the Ramskins and Panskins is there's no "The Future is Now". Pretty evident Rivera is looking to "build it right" as opposed to "build it fast", especially after losing out on Cooper. While "building it right" remains to be seen, we certainly got the culture change we asked for. Not holding my breath on this season, IF it happens (I know, I know.....BITE MY TONGUE) but at least we know guys will play hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.