• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

SBNATION: Chris Cooley Smokes Cigarettes

Add another. I'm not a smoker and I will smoke the occasional social cig. It has absolutely zero effect on me and I am a competitive distant athlete. Regular smoking? Yes. Occasional social dalliance...not even a blip on the radar. If he's come back leaner and meaner and in good shape (like he evidently has) then who gives a crap? Mind your own business, that's plenty to keep you busy for days....works for all kinds of things. :)

Lol!!! Weed has effects on your lungs! You ever see the resin that comes out or heard someone choke off a big hit? You get the same smoker's cough and ****ed up lungs.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/marijuana-smoking-does-not-harm-lungs-study-finds/

A large new government study has found that smoking marijuana on a regular basis, even over several years, does not impair lung function.
In something of a twist, the researchers found that compared to nonsmokers, marijuana users performed slightly better on the lung function test

I smoked pot for years before I ever smoked a cigarette. Never once as a pot smoker did I ever have any problems with my lungs, other than the hacking during a smoking session.

Cigarettes are different, they put so much other crap in them, that any one of the ingredients is horrible for your lungs, and the smoke is thicker. I can smoke one cigarette and feel it for hours. I can smoke a joint and the effect on my lungs is done the second I quit puffing.

I'm not pretending to be a scientist, but all of the studies coming out trying to prove the detrimental health effects of pot are instead proving the opposite, as the link above shows.

Cooley can do whatever he wants so long as a) it's not illegal and b) he helps us win games.

Other than that it's not my business.

I like how heavy drinking can destroy your body too, but nobody ever seems to complain about these guys going out and partying and getting hammered all the time.

you ever think that because you smoke more cigarettes than weed that could have something to do with it?
I don't smoke weed anymore, but when I did, it was all day long. I've never smoked all day long. And I smoked weed a lot longer than I've been a smoker.

or that ANY and ALL things you put in to your lungs that arent oxygen are damaging them?
We inhale 4 times more Nitrogen with every breath than Oxygen ;)

I see what you're saying though. I'm not saying it's healthy, I'm just saying that so far, scientists don't seem to be able to prove any lung damage from smoking pot.

we can all find links that will support our beliefs in this. my point is that you cant expect to be at top form when youre smoking. it just isnt true. you are putting chemicals and things in to your system you shouldnt that are bad for you.
The same argument can be made about the food we eat though. When it comes down to it, being truly healthy is nearly an impossible feat.

But you're right, there is information to back every argument. But until doctors and scientists are proven to be forging results like doctors and scientists that claimed second hand smoke was lethal were, I'll at least give it a 50/50 shot at being valid.

Edit: I read some things in that link and noticed a few things in the sources......

Source 1 was a very small study (less than 500 people) done in New Zealand, where the number one cause of death is lung cancer.

Source 2, from The American Cancer Society, states that in studies done so far, cancer is not linked to marijuana.

Source 3 clearly states that in their study, 96% of the cases were done on heavy cigarette smokers, so the conclusion of the study was that the increased risk was due to the fact they smoked cigarettes.

Source 4 says that studies have shown marijuana actually reduces the chance of cancer among smokers and non smokers of cigarettes.

I didn't bother with the rest after those, because there are a ton, and it tells me that the doctor who wrote the article based everything she wrote on opinion, rather than factual results of the studies she cited.

I'm with you Mike, anything going into the lungs has to be bad. It's just not natural. But it just appears to be that if you're gonna smoke, smoke pot and eat Funyuns :laugh:

Last edited:
we can all find links that will support our beliefs in this. my point is that you cant expect to be at top form when youre smoking. it just isnt true. you are putting chemicals and things in to your system you shouldnt that are bad for you.
Exactly. You'd have to be retarded to think otherwise.

This discussion has gotten way off course. Cooley coming off an injury plagued year at 30 doesn't need stuff like this to be a distraction, he's under enough of a microscope as it is.

The smart thing for players to do is act in public as if someone is watching, with today's IPhone cameras it often is the case.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Zero effect? You're fooling yourself with that.
No I'm not. An occasional puff on a cig is no more detrimental than the occasional social cigar. Do it with any regularity and we're talking but once every blue moon? Sorry. Nope not at all and I think I'd know having been on a competitive level for over 17 years.

First we have Shanny getting cleaned up by a couple of players, now this. If these two reports are the worst that come out of OTA's, we are doing ok!

What next? Players are engaging in sexual activities!

Sure. We'll let this one go with agreeing to disagree, ok?
I'm not going to concede a point simply because you disagree. I'm not trying to be confrontational at all here but no. I'll go with knowing I'm right in this case...smoking an occasional cig (key word being occasional...iow no regularity or frequency at all) is no worse than sitting in front of a campfire occasionally or hanging out by a charcoal BBQ. Do any of those with ANY regularity and it will most certainly affect you but a cig or two here or there every several weeks or so is NOT going to have a negative effect. I'd need to see some actual scientific proof of that before I'd even begin to buy it and tests on chain or habitual regular smokers wouldn't do it.

It's all kind of moot anyway since none of us really know if that was an isolated incident or if Cooley does this with regularity. I'd guess it was the former simply based on the reaction this is inspiring. If it had happened before there would have been a mini freak out then too and we'd all know about it.

Either way BT is right...this is a stupid thing for a pro athlete to do in today's age when he's fighting to make it back to starter status. I still think it's nobody's business if it can't be unequivocally proven it's affecting his game.

Ricardo Mayorga was the first to come to mind

mayorgasmokes_large.jpg

My opinion is that if a player is a smoker and performs on the field then I can't be too mad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.