• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rounds 4-7

Time to get the UDFA list ready, BB. ;)

NJB is definitely on MY list.

Time to get the UDFA list ready, BB. ;)

NJB is definitely on MY list.

I'm working on it. Hope to have it up by midnight or shortly thereafter. Doing that while watching a race. #Priorities

I HATE HATE HATE the Cousins pick. Hate! So many positions of need, and we go backup QB??? COME ON, MAN!

backup? we're talking clipboard holder for at least this season while RG teaches RGIII.

only thing that makes sense to me is trade bait in 3 years......but that means he has to get at least some playing time. one imagines cousins will not be satisfied as a career backup.

some of you guys amuse me.

if the Redskins did not draft a Robinson to backup Fletcher and Riley inside and one of those players got hurt during the season, YOU would be the first guys to scream and complain that this team never develops any depth :laugh: :laugh:

Riley was on the bench for a year learning. So what? Now he's starting.

If Robinson sits for a year and then starts to move into a mix with Fletcher on passing downs and eventually replaces him, then the pick is a success.

Stop putting STARTING expectations on 4th and 5th round picks.

To me starters are expected in Round 1 and for most of Round 2.

Starters are a mixed bag with picks in Round 3.

And 'nice to haves' in Rounds 4-7.

How many picks 4-7 become rookie starters in the NFL?

You don't live and succeed betting on that scenario year to year.

so that means you don't expect many starters out of the draft over the next two years? two to be precise?

most analysts are grading our draft a B. yea....I know....way early. what that means though is that they didn't like our draft....cuz RGIII is obviously A++++++++.

well......not much to do but sit and watch! trust in Shanahan. trust in the fact that he isn't going to allow his franchise QB to get clobbered.

we're gonna see a lot of play action, runs, roll-outs & bootlegs

Here is the latest on UDFAs:

Eain Smith - S, WVU
Michael Shaw - RB, Michigan
Chase Minnifield - CB, Virginia
Lance Lewis - WR, ECU
Brian McNally - DE, New Hampshire
Darius Hanks - WR, Alabama
Lenny Creer - RB, La Tech
Vaughn Meatoga - DT, Hawaii

I like Minnifield signing. He could stay. The others - no clue about them.

so that means you don't expect many starters out of the draft over the next two years? two to be precise?

I think he means he doesn't expect day one starters out of late round picks. I don't think that's crazy-talk. That's why you need to continue to draft well in later rounds every year, to maintain that pipeline. We just started doing this last year (and two years ago with Perry Riley.) If we keep it going by developing late round picks into backups and then eventual starters, this draft is a good one. That's what we should be looking for every year. We accomplished that last year, in my opinion. Hopefully we did it again.

We won't find out for awhile.

I think he means he doesn't expect day one starters out of late round picks. I don't think that's crazy-talk. That's why you need to continue to draft well in later rounds every year, to maintain that pipeline. We just started doing this last year (and two years ago with Perry Riley.) If we keep it going by developing late round picks into backups and then eventual starters, this draft is a good one. That's what we should be looking for every year. We accomplished that last year, in my opinion. Hopefully we did it again.

We won't find out for awhile.

H...well...the data suggests the odds of finding ANY starters day 1 or later in rounds 3-7 is limited - according to some stats I heard Gil Brandt roll out yesterday.

I agree with you and BT...if the Skins find a way to beat the odds....that's **it hot!!! Given the stats....all I think this really does is elevate the importance of off-season FA signings. It is what it is because past Redskin regimes mangled things so badly and Shanallen screwed up year 1. Ok. drafts under the bridge. we now have our QB...will sit in the penalty box for two more drafts. we can improve over those two drafts with better FA signings and luck in the later rounds. when the full draft is restored we can get back into the creative, value adding personnel management strategies that the best teams (Pats, Ravens) seem to employ. So...IMO...Shanallen are definitely turning things in the right direction...though thye have clearly made more than a few mis-steps along the way.

Hmm, do I get credit in the draft competition for Oglesby if we sign him as an UDFA? :D

I do not like -- I LOVE this year's and last year's draft!!! Last year we beefed up the D, this year we beefed up the O. Amazing to me all the criticism in the media on picking a QB in the 4th that is highly rated by the FO. Is it not possible that our franchise QB misses a game or two or more due to injury?? I sure hope not but if this happens who in their right mind wants to see Rex the Turnover Machine under center again wearing B&G??? If he is good the team can either keep him as a great backup, trade him for high pick/s (see Kolb) or even if we loose him via FA no doubt we get compted in the draft (meanwhile he is cheaper then a VET).

We also picked up 3 OL man this draft (thank god), and perhaps someone the coaches can groom to take London's position one day. They also took flyers on some prospects in the secondary that certainly could use some help and a late round RB that Shanny seems to usually hit more than miss on.

The team seems to FINALLY look for long term fixes!!!

H...well...the data suggests the odds of finding ANY starters day 1 or later in rounds 3-7 is limited - according to some stats I heard Gil Brandt roll out yesterday.

I agree with you and BT...if the Skins find a way to beat the odds....that's **it hot!!! Given the stats....all I think this really does is elevate the importance of off-season FA signings. It is what it is because past Redskin regimes mangled things so badly and Shanallen screwed up year 1. Ok. drafts under the bridge. we now have our QB...will sit in the penalty box for two more drafts. we can improve over those two drafts with better FA signings and luck in the later rounds. when the full draft is restored we can get back into the creative, value adding personnel management strategies that the best teams (Pats, Ravens) seem to employ. So...IMO...Shanallen are definitely turning things in the right direction...though thye have clearly made more than a few mis-steps along the way.

The odds of picking any one player in the late rounds and having that one guy become a starter are not good. That is true. The odds of finding a starter in those rounds, however, go up the more picks you have, as are the odds of finding depth. Fortunately, we had 8 picks in rounds 3-7 this year and 10 last year, so we are more likely to beat the odds than we were with the previous front office, who had usually traded all those picks away by draft day.

If, of the three OL we drafted, we find one starter and one backup, is that a good deal? I think it is. If, of the two DBs we drafted in the seventh, we find a solid backup and/or special teamer, should we be happy? I think so.

These are the bricks and mortar of a team. The non-glamorous side of building the foundation. Not every pick will be a Robert Griffin III. Some of them won't hit at all. But the more picks we have in the later rounds, the more cheap talent we will find. And if we have another year like 2011 where every single pick made the team ... I agree with you that that will be ****ing hot! :)

The Redskins are still in the process of getting younger and turning from older free agents filling the holes to draft picks.

Philip Buchanon won't be resigned. Stallworth was allowed to depart. Gaffney seems set to leave before camp.

And hopefully we are moving away from the Keyaron Fox type signings where the 31 year old player is really done in the NFL and comes here to pick up a last paycheck.

I love the RB pick, mostly because he's from FAU! Awesome to see our guys starting to get drafted! I'll be rooting for him to make the team! Admittedly I'm a horrible FAU Football fan so hadn't even heard of this kid - but I'm still rooting for him!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.