• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RG3 Development Tracker 2015

I suppose everyone knows that Tandler is also a regular on Larry's show, right?

young woman witch.jpg

Some folks see one thing, some another

Keim has been on a roll, I do actually look at other guys blogs but Keim has been fairly steady on the day to day stuff with Griff.

There was a cross-your-finger optimism about Griffin entering camp and after five days the coaches have been pleased about what he’s shown and the direction he’s headed. It’s far different than at this time a year ago when whispers started circulating about displeasure with Griffin.

His improvement this summer is a cumulative effort, as it should be: Griffin himself is executing well and has appeared more relaxed; the coaches have tweaked what they’re doing, and the presence of quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh already is helping.

You’re starting to hear players say that Griffin is getting rid of the ball faster. It’s not surprising they’d say that publicly. But it’s exactly what you hear from multiple people in the organization when just talking casually

His caveats seem to bother some but he's careful about blowing too much sunshine up the fans' UNOWAT

I don’t know where this goes from here; Redskins fans have been burned by believing too quickly, so I won’t ask them to do so now. Griffin must continue his progress vs. Houston, then in the preseason games and finally the regular season. He must show he can execute vs. different defenses, displaying the anticipation on throws they want to see. Only then will we really know the truth. There are many more steps in this process, but the first one has been taken
There's a lot more at the link.
Washington Redskins' Robert Griffin III makes positive strides in camp - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

Tom, I read a piece of his from yesterday or the day before where he was timing each one of RG3's passes.

He's definitely getting the ball out much faster. That's exactly what we need. That's huge.

Seems to be the overall theme through the early days of camp.

Redskins' Trent Williams notes RG3's quicker release | FOX Sports
Jay Gruden is not the only one buzzing about Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin's progress. Trent Williams, arguably the Redskins' best offensive player and Griffin's blindside protector, has been very impressed with what he's seen from Griffin so far in training camp.
According to Liz Clarke of the Washington Post, Griffin capped off an excellent two-minute drill to end practice with a touchdown pass that left Williams giddy.

“That was all him,” Wiliams said of Griffin, per the Washington post.

Williams expanded on his point to touch on Griffin's improvement within the scheme. He is making his reads and working through his progressions at a much faster pace. It shows up on his release and mechanics.

“We just went 80 yards on two-minute drive,” Williams added. “That was all him — just decision-making, hitting guys on time, getting the ball out on time. … It takes down the time we have to block. Ultimately it helps the whole offense.”

Williams joins Gruden and teammate DeSean Jackson in their effusive praise of Griffin. Although it is important to take early training camp coach and player-speak with a grain of salt, we didn't hear these comments coming from this same group at this time last season.

No, it doesn't mean it will carry over to the regular season, or even preseason for the matter, but even the most critical of RG3 watchers needs to recognize that all the positive talk beats the hell outta the alternative.

Great article, McD. The only thing I would add is that Gruden was also a rookie last year. I've banged on the guy a lot, but if he can wrap his head around calling a gameplan more suited for Griffin's success, we could have a really special year. If Griffin can step up and adjust more, I think he'll end up shutting a lot of people up.

Yeah, if the kid can get 'it' back and stay away from the 'superman syndrome', I think he and we will be alright.

Clearly knowledge of the system is key to him succeeding. He went from a college system catered to what he did naturally, to a pro system catering to the same, to trying to actually learn an offensive scheme for the first time ever. As a pro. In the lime light after an epic first year, and unfortunate injuries. I haven't heard anyone critical of his athleticism or intellect. He's had to learn how to learn the game IMO, but should be capable given the afore mentioned attributes. Hopefully he's done that and is starting to piece it together. Putting it together in training camp is the first step to putting it together in a game. If he shows real progress, and is making clear strides, he'll have some leash remaining. But if he comes out the gate looking lost, well, that won't go well. If he figures out how to get the ball out quickly, and to whom to get it, thinks will be looking up and we could surprise some people. At least that's the typical offseason delusions of grandeur I choose to bathe myself in. :)

As critical as I've been about Griffin, I've been hearing a lot of the right things coming out of camp....

I'm not sure it can get much worse for Griffin, outside of being cut or being out of the league. He's been benched (once for a project, once for a vastly inferior QB), ridiculed, and ranked at the bottom of the league at the QB position. If all of that crap doesn't motivate him to kick some ass and show people what he can do, nothing will.

I'm a fairly competitive person. If someone told me I was the worst salesperson in my company or, more apropos, in my FIELD, I would be incredibly motivated to come out and kick ass and show them how stupid that ranking was.

As Tr1 said, second year in a system, more comfort (hopefully, and apparently) between player and coach means we could see a rejuvenated Griffin this year.

Another Keim blurb, Griff's pops is still hanging around, hopefully just to assist in workouts...

Guess Griff thought he needed the extra work after the 'Battlin' Texans' knocked down some of his throws.

Griffin has been the last player off the field, by a good 10 minutes, after each of the past two practices. Monday, he worked with some of the equipment men, who often catch his throws after practice. At times Griffin would throw over his dad's outstretched arms and other times his father would rush at him, forcing his son to move a little, reset and hit his target.

It capped a day in which Griffin had to make some throws under duress, some of which fell incomplete. In some cases, his accuracy was terrific; in others, not so much. On one, Griffin almost stood as tall as he could at the end of a five-step drop and tried to throw over the line; the ball was at the feet of tight end Je'Ron Hamm. Another time he slid right and overthrew Garcon.

But there were good passes as well, one of which found Garcon. It required patience by Griffin and came off of play-action as he waited for Garcon on a crosser vs. DeAngelo Hall. He led Garcon on the 15-yard throw, hitting him in stride as he turned up the field.

In 7-on-7 work, Griffin and Garcon teamed up again. Garcon ran a deep post, Griffin looked left, turned back, reset his feet and threw a perfect ball. Garcon ran past safety Dashon Goldson and caught the ball in stride.

Griffin worked on some straight deep drops; had one where he dropped, used a shoulder fake to one side and threw back to the other for receiver Ryan Grant, but it was incomplete. Another straight drop led to a pass for rookie Evan Spencer, who dropped the ball.

Griffin and Garcon hooked up one last time as the receiver made a nice grab of a throw below the knees

Redskins QB RG III faces post-practice pass rush, from his dad - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

I'll never be upset with a father and son practicing....after practice.

Actually, ESPN just did a nice little write-up, zero 'implied' there. But watch PFT pick it up and try to make something out of it.

One of the D-tier shows on 106.7 last night actually went on for an hour about this. I went with my oldest to his flag football meeting last night and it started... we came back to the car 45 minutes later and he was still going on.

Honestly, I really couldn't give a shit less what RGII and RGIII do after practice on their own.

Nick

seriously!! Who in their right mind would criticize a man and his son practicing together? That is a family moment that is probably special to them and has very little to do with the NFL.

Now if he was stopping practice to tell coaches what to do or give input I'd be pissed. But he isn't. He is playing with his son afterwards where nobody else is around.

listen to these radio shows: they are just about all anti-Griffin. wish they'd STFU and let the guy prove it on the field. these nit wits focus on the most trivial stuff.

Griffin is at the end of the Redskin line. everyone knows it. up to him to produce. these folks piling on seem to me to have some irrational animus toward Griffin.

Meanwhile, I saw from several sources (Keim, even the WaPo I think) that Robert had his best day yet yesterday. The word "sharp" kept coming up.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow night we finally get to see for ourselves how the man "looks" dropping back, setting up, moving as necessary, and getting the ball out on time. Hopefully to one of our guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.