• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Remember when I said the Oline sucked and people argued with me?

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
This O line is terrible, quite frankly I blame RG3's poor play on it, he rarely sets his feet , throws off his back foot and looks skittish in the pocket, not surprising given how often he is getting hit.

in his rookie year he looked very good, because teams hadnt adjusted to the read option and the zone being used with the pistol and play action. that combination enabled Rg3 to look very solid despite having a weak WR corps and a very weak Oline.

lets look really quickly at why Rg3 looks so out of sorts, first off he gets hit on almost every single drop back, frankly we need to roll him out more, if his knee cant handle that then sit him until he is healthy enough to do what he needs to do. (hes my fantasy teams qb btw). hes holding the ball too long trying to make something happen and its getting him hit a LOT.

we no longer have a credible run threat at qb to prevent teams from coming hard upfield, let me explain why last years offence was so misleading.

the only way to stop the zone is to get upfield penetration and backside pursuit, however the read option depends on teams getting too far upfield creating lanes to exploit and it negates backside pursuit by a credible bootleg option so as you see, when one is effective, it compliments the other. the Play action relies on a credible run threat. so last year despite a crap Oline, the zone was complimented by the read option which was complimented by the zone and both complimented by a very solid play action passing game. it was only when we tried to play man up and throw from the pocket that we looked pretty weak. this year we are trying too hard to throw from the pocket and the running game has been effective in bursts because we run the zone but no longer have the run threat in the read option to prevent backside pursuit.

we need at least one Guard, preferably 2 and a Right Tackle who can actually pass block. thats just the way it is. once we can start protecting rg3, all we can do is hope he is not gunshy from all these hits. this is why you build yourself a good Oline BEFORE you draft the qb of the future and trade away 2 drafts to get him.

I don't argue very often but my issue was the salary cap...there is only so much a team can do when they are paying for mistakes made just a few years ago. I can't recall seeing a lesser performance by the O line than last week. Maybe Denver just understood Shannahans tendencies better than most. Cousins and Griffin were both taking a beating...I was actually expecting to hear that Griffin was suffering from concussion symptoms this week.

The O-line was good enough when Griffin was at full strength, which is why people who argued the OL was adequate last year were absolutely correct.

With a less mobile, less confident QB, the OL needs to be better. I don't really think that's an earth-shattering revelation.

Remember that time I told you this stunning revelation didn't deserve it own thread? :lipsrsealed2:

When you claim that everything sucks you're going to be right on occasion.

Congratulations!

When you claim that everything sucks you're going to be right on occasion.

Congratulations!

I wonder why Ryman isn't responding ?

Oh, probably because he's busy preparing a thread titled "Remember when I said that the Defense sucked, and people argued ....?"

:)

messin with you, ryman....start all the threads your heart desires.

Last edited:
the o line is geared towards making the defense move horizontally on the field. it's geared to take advantage of that situation.

when the team is in a position that it's horizontal running game is no longer a threat, the o line gets put in it's weakest position - drop back passing.

our horizontal running game threat has been reduced for a number of reasons at different times:
- Griffin coming off injury resulting in him not being a running threat (take your pick of possible reasons as to why this is the case)
- The team falls behind by multiple scores
- Griffin not being an accurate passer - multiple reasons for this
- WR's dropping balls and/or not getting open

Take your pick.

The offense players aren't executing. We can't go out and get 5 300+ lbs drop back passing offensive linemen right now. We're not going to be able to do it in the offseason either. Players either start executing or we're going to have a long offseason of trying to figure out why they can't execute and what the solution is.

Possible solutions:
- New staff and system - maybe this is a flawed system, I don't know. There certainly seems to be a lot of people that think that.
- New players - but who and how many? And how long do we give these new players to do a good job?
- Another offseason of work - maybe griffin missing the offseason has a lot to do with it? I'm skeptical because Griffin is clearly not the only problem.
- Make Griffin a run threat again - That means Griffin has to want to be a run threat, which he's clearly said he doesn't. It also means fighting all the people that think having Griffin as a run threat means exposing him to injury (is that really a winnable battle?)

saying our Oline was good when Griff was healthy is sort of exactly the dumb stuff im arguing against. he isnt healthy and our oline is one of the reason he isnt. they let him get hit on almost every play.

btw Mike, its not exactly brilliant argument to avoid the argument, tell me again how good our Oline is.

Death, taxes, and Ryman after a loss.

Hey Ry, your auto-fellatio is tired. You're not the only person on the planet who thinks our oline is bad. Get over yourself already.

The whole ****ing team is bad. Is this argument really even worth discussing anymore?

The reason I never argued with Ry is because he is right. Granted, my approach would be a bit more humble, but I can't fault the man for being right. Everyone except Williams and Lich needs to be replaced. Lich may not be a starter himself, but he provides good depth.

It's time to let LeRibeus, Gettis, and Compton play with the season being all but over. Let's see what they have and go from there.

The reason I never argued with Ry is because he is right. Granted, my approach would be a bit more humble, but I can't fault the man for being right. Everyone except Williams and Lich needs to be replaced. Lich may not be a starter himself, but he provides good depth.

It's time to let LeRibeus, Gettis, and Compton play with the season being all but over. Let's see what they have and go from there.
Lots of us agree with his assessment, and always have. But the constant attention whoring he does whenever he thinks he discovered Atlantis gets quite tiresome after 50 ****ing years. He believes he's clairvoyant. When he's actually Captain Obvious more times than not. Yet he continues to parade around in a pink tutu screaming like a teenage girl to "Look at me!!!!!" "Me so smart!!!"

Predictably, boring.

Ax, I agree with what you are saying. However, I have always given latitude to someone who backs it up. Ry has played in the trenches in HS, college, and pro.

McD5 backs up a lot of what he says too. More often than not, he is spot on in the long run. Again, I will give latitude to someone who can back it up. That's just me and how I roll.

Trolls? Maybe so, maybe not. Ry is spot on with the analyses that he has provided. In the long run, he is always proven right. Not saying that I like his approach either, but he does back up the harshly direct verbiage. McD5 backs it up too. He tends to be a student of the game and when we chat, he backs it up 100%. Also, you may want to see who is leading Pick 'Em - and by a wide margin. The man does his homework.

Both of them know that the knowledgeable football fans around here are much more humble, but that is how some of us roll. What I see as extreme confidence is what some see as trolling and that is fine. When one or either of them is horribly wrong, I am sure there will be those who remind them and forcefully so. I will not be amongst that group.

That's fine. I have never needed or required attention. Just offering a set of opinions based on what I see from these two members. You can leave those opinions at the door, toss them in the trash, or place them in a lovely frame. Any of those choices are fine by me. It's just opinions and nothing more. Too, no attention directed at me is required. I'm cool with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.