• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Get #2 Pick!

You know - I'll confess that it's my nature to want to believe...I hated the McNabb trade, but even there, once I absorbed the reality of it, I wanted to put the best spin possible on it. Despite my harsh assessment of this team and it's owner over the years, I want to be a fan.

What makes this so exciting is that it's going to be possible to really believe in the guy under center and feel like a genuine fan again. All the talk of Super Bowls doesn't resonate with me. I can live without a Super Bowl the next five years. For me, that would just be gravy. I just want to cheer for a team that has a real chance on Sunday, that has guys worthy of cheering for. And I want a team identity that makes me proud as a fan. I think this move is the next step in developing that identity. And that makes me very excited :)

I'm not impressed with our organizations's negotiating skills. That extra 2nd brings back memories of Vinny. Even he wouldn't have paid more than Bruce and Shanny just did. A few thoughts:

The Rams had to have the 2nd pick. If I were them, it would have been a requirement, especially if trading down to 6 where they will likely loose out on both Blackmon and Kalil. Those other two firsts can't help them this year and they had to have some help now.

1. I pray to God that we had the intelligence to, yet strongly doubt, to make this exact same offer to the Saints for 5,000 yard Drew Brees. I really don't believe that Shanny is intelligent enough to have even thought about that. One of the greatest QBs in the league is a much better investment than a guy who has yet to take a single snap in the NFL.

And how old is Brees again? And do you really think the Saints were going to part with him? No, I would rather roll the dice on a young guy who can be OUR guy for the next decade or more.

2. With the benefit of hindsight, is Cam Newton worth what we just gave up? Maybe he is. He just completed the best rookie season for a QB in league history. We can only pray that RG3 plays that well.

3. I saw one or two "insiders" who believed we could get him for less than 3 firsts. Honestly, those people know nothing about the draft. I have no idea what they were smoking, but remember that when you read any of their draft predictions in the future. I love some of their great info on other matters, but their draft nonsense is exactly that--posturing to try to get some kind of homoerotic Internet fan club or something.

I thought we could get him for less for a while too. That was apparently unrealistic with the number of teams interested.

4. I'm thrilled about RG3. I'm not thrilled about the extra 2nd we gave up. I'm also a little concerned about the level of talent he played against. Cam did it in the SEC--you knew his stats were for real. RG3 did it against some of the worst defenses in the country. The jury is still out on just how great those numbers were, at least in my mind.

It isn't like we are talking about the WAC here. It is the Big 12 and while people are down on the defenses in the Big 12 you have to remember that these schools have some of the most potent offenses in all of college so maybe the defenses aren't as bad as all that.

Let's hope this is the beginning of something great in Washington.

Agreed.

That guy was something else, wasn't he? :)

Griffin has elite talent, intelligence, and athleticism. This guy has tremendous potential, and he is the perfect fit for Shanny's offense.

The Redskins are going to get their franchise QB. It's going to energize the organization in so many ways.

Lets see; We could sign Peyton Manning and give him a no. 1 wide receiver and a better offensive line, so we can fairly well deduce that receiver and offensive line can be taken care of in FA. (Jackson, Gathers, Grubbs-just a for instance). That leaves us with Manning's salary to provide for CB, (Carr, Porter Finnigen). ILB, London, and Nelson at safety for instance. That leaves us in the draft a 3rd for Alameda Ta'amu might have to add a 5th to trade up, giving us depth on the defensive line, a fourth for a safety, a fourth for ILB to groom, and other draft for depth on O-line.

Might want to say I am all for FA signings if it is done with a brain. Because of the ability to sign FA the loss of draft choices is of less effect.

don't forget we have 2 stub RBs to play behind RG3. If the team can add a #1 wr in free agency, which I believe they weill, then you're starting to looking at a hell of an offense.

don't forget we have 2 stub RBs to play behind RG3. If the team can add a #1 wr in free agency, which I believe they weill, then you're starting to looking at a hell of an offense.
We really, really need a starting RT (can one be found with our 3rd round pick?) and depth along the OL as well. I don't want RG3 getting mauled after we gave up so much to draft him.

Thinking about watching RG3 hold up a burgundy jersey with the number 1 in about 6 weeks got me wondering.

Just before one the last bowl games, Ivan Carter was interviewing RG3. He asked him about playing for the Redskins. RG3 gave a big smile and asked if he would be able to meet Obama. Carter said he feels that probably could be arranged.

Now, back to wondering...with RG3 coming to DC, who is the most powerful man in DC?
Is Obama or will it be RG3?

I'm not sure Obama has ever been the most powerful man in DC :) But that's a discussion for another forum...

We really, really need a starting RT (can one be found with our 3rd round pick?) and depth along the OL as well. I don't want RG3 getting mauled after we gave up so much to draft him.

Assuming its RGIII, he will make the line look better than Butterball Grossman (shout out to FS!). Not saying we don't need to address the line, just that our line was middle of the road last year, better than people remember, and RGIII will make whatever we have look better.

As a side note, anyone else walking around with a grin all day today? My wife took quick advantage, I don't remember how it happened, but I am cooking all lunches and dinners this weekend. I asked her how she did that, and she told me I would have agreed to anything to this morning...

As a side note, anyone else walking around with a grin all day today? My wife took quick advantage, I don't remember how it happened, but I am cooking all lunches and dinners this weekend. I asked her how she did that, and she told me I would have agreed to anything to this morning...

:) Grin? I've been laughing and doing a happy dance all day today.

I'll have to thank my wife for not taking advantage of the situation. Of course, I think she's convinced I'm insane at this point.

Last edited:

How can a Skins fan not be? I've already planned after the draft this year to tell my wife I won't watch the first night of the draft the next two years. She doesn't follow football so this will help me earn brownie points.

We can find two or three in the third and fourth rounds. Nate Potter would be a great choice. Ditto for Mitchell Schwartz. Bobby Massie could be another solid choice.

I've already planned after the draft this year to tell my wife I won't watch the first night of the draft the next two years. She doesn't follow football so this will help me earn brownie points.

Nice, thanks! I hadn't thought of that.

Per: http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?r=1

Rams team sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch the Browns were willing to trade both their 2012 first-round picks to acquire St. Louis' No. 2 pick.

If true, it raises questions about why the Rams were so quick to accept the Redskins' offer, as the Browns were also reportedly willing to send three first-rounders and a second-round pick. If Cleveland was open to dealing both its 2012 first-rounders and its 2013 first-round pick, its package would have been markedly better than Washington's. It's possible Jeff Fisher and Mike Shanahan's supposedly cozy relationship played a part in Washington winning the RGIII sweepstakes.

It's possible Jeff Fisher and Mike Shanahan's supposedly cozy relationship played a part in Washington winning the RGIII sweepstakes.

Winner, winner, Baylor barbeque dinner!

Seriously though, it probably did. Now we can be really happy that he is our coach. :)

Some Cleveland fans must feel like a curse just won't go away. We know how they feel.

Per: http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?r=1

Rams team sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch the Browns were willing to trade both their 2012 first-round picks to acquire St. Louis' No. 2 pick.

If true, it raises questions about why the Rams were so quick to accept the Redskins' offer, as the Browns were also reportedly willing to send three first-rounders and a second-round pick. If Cleveland was open to dealing both its 2012 first-rounders and its 2013 first-round pick, its package would have been markedly better than Washington's. It's possible Jeff Fisher and Mike Shanahan's supposedly cozy relationship played a part in Washington winning the RGIII sweepstakes.

Show that to the Browns fan on youtube, who apparently ranted for 8 minutes, with jugular veins bulging, cutting up a team flag, and got his panties in a wad, about his team's management, all for NOTHING !! :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.