• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Announce Formal Review of Team Name

You guys are fantasizing now. None of that’s going to happen. The name is changing so, one way or another, fans should get their minds around that idea. There is no chance this is not happening - and soon.

What would happen if one person--just one--stood up to this PC bullshit. I kinda thought Danny boy might be that guy. I mean, FedEx doesn't want to associate with the name Redskin? I promise you some other company would. As for Nike, screw them. I KNOW some apparel company would be eager to make Redskin merchandise.

Right now, I don't see any company standing up against "PC bullshit", as you term it. No one can afford to do that in a recession when every customer matters. And there might actually be more to the FedEx move than just the name. Lots of rumors about movement within the ownership group so for all we know calling out Snyder on the team name could just be a strategic play in whatever game is going on between Snyder and the minority owners. These guys are investors, not lifetime fans. The name means little to them outside of a brand and if the brand isn't seen as good then it has to change.

As for Nike, what I understand is that the NFL signed an agreement with them for all 32 clubs as opposed to each club signing their own independent deal. If that is the case, the Skins likely can't go to another apparel provider as long as that contract is in effect.

You guys are fantasizing now. None of that’s going to happen. The name is changing so, one way or another, fans should get their minds around that idea. There is no chance this is not happening - and soon.
Well, you know I'm still waiting for the clock to read 00:00 before I'll believe it's over.
But, I am prepared.

But, if I may fantasize....

I'd like to see the little SOB walk out to a press conference, dressed in Redskins gear that says "Redskins" all over it. And declare.......
"After a thorough examination of the proud and distinguished name, Redskins, which honors a people that some now wish to finally erase from history, I have decided, No. We will NOT change the name of this proud franchise. I will NOT betray the coaches, players, and fans that have supported this franchise since it's beginnings. Through good times and bad. We will NOT fall prey to the lynch mobs currently trying to destroy this country, by destroying it's history. If it costs me every dime I have, I'm going to fight this attack to the end. Hail To The Redskins!"

Drop the mic, exit, stage right.

What would happen if one person--just one--stood up to this PC bullshit. I kinda thought Danny boy might be that guy. I mean, FedEx doesn't want to associate with the name Redskin? I promise you some other company would. As for Nike, screw them. I KNOW some apparel company would be eager to make Redskin merchandise.

That would probably work if the team didn't suck so bad. But honestly, who wants to advertise on a stadium that can't give away tickets and the camera crews have to try really hard NOT to show how few people are there. Now, if we were say, the Patriots.............it would probably be different. But one wonders how long the name "Patriots" is going to go untouched

I get the current state of affairs, but there’s some serious hyperbole in this thread. No one is knocking down doors to collect your Skins gear at gunpoint and names like ‘The Patriots‘ are not at risk :). Let’s try and stick to reality which is bad enough.

The only way the name will stick is if there is a massive outcry from the Native American community to keep the name. And it would have to be massive, because there was a letter signed by 15 people asking to change the name. So there will need to be a groundswell to get people off those 15. The reality is, I don’t see that happening. From what I remember about the name surveys is that there wasn’t a great number of people who saw the name as a point of pride. It was mostly people who didn’t care one way or the other. So if they didn’t find it offensive and then they take the name away, they aren’t going to raise a fuss. I expect there to be some who are upset at the change and a few might voice their opinion. But for the most part, I expect the Native American community as a whole to just be kind of meh about this whole thing.

That is exactly how I read it Kel. The NA community has bigger fish to fry and this really isn't worth the effort, except to a few who are well and truly offended.

I am an indian, the reason I hadn't posted here until today is because I was on the Rez and had no wifi or cell signal.

I have been a Redskins fan since 1983. The name and logo evoked a sense of pride and badassery in me from my childhood. Many reservation high school teams called themselves the redskins, it became a point of pride. if you go to the rez right now you often find a lot of kids wearing redskins gear, blackhawks gear and chiefs gear because the logos are usually badass. (nobody wears cleveland indians shit) but why actually ask us? besides a few loudmouth acttivist types drowned out most of us anyway.

it seemed like every couple years someone would start a change the name campaign because its low hanging fruit, but you notice, they main drivers are never actual football fans but lefty liberal asshats who need to virtue signal how woke they are. They post inflammatory nonsense about where the term came from and they shout down anyone who disagrees. The vast majority of indians either dont care and dont watch football or actually like the badass image.

I saw that one of the team names suggested was the redtails, to celebrate black pilots. I gotta say it pissed me off, not because I dont respect their sacrifice but because the Redskins were the one thing Indians who love football had, but now it will be taken away because a few butthurt slacktivists madenoise and the get woke go broke climate means everyone else decided for indians what should offend us.

Btw I wrote a letter a few years ago to the team saying they should do a campaign on reserves and even offered to help, I saw where this was heading and wanted to prevent it but instead they hired some faux indian loser and then did almost nothing.

If they change the name to something that has nothing to do with Indians, I am done, I will leave all the redskins groups and forums and will no longer watch the team I have loved and followed since 1983. I doubt I am alone. fuck this cancel culture woke bullshit,

That probably echoes the sentiments of the vast majority of Redskins fans Ryman, although I think most will ultimately stick around even if unhappy with the events about to occur.

In some ways though, walking away from the team because of politics is similar to wanting to impose change on the team because of politics. I’m not sure stopping support for the team because external forces Imposed a change on them is the right action. But that’s a personal decision.

It is what it is.

I don't have any idea how much Indian blood I have. No doubt much less than Ryman or Shino.
But far more than Elizabeth Warren. I promise you that.

Redskins, has always been the name of my team. (Wasn't alive during the Braves years)
First time I saw highlights of them as a kid, I was not yet a devoted fan. But as the kid who always wanted to be the Indian in our Cowboys and Indian battles growing up, that feather running up the back of the helmet was, to steal Ryman's description, badass! But baseball was king where I grew up. So, other than the occasional highlight reel, I had limited exposure to football. But I never forgot that helmet.

At 10, we moved to Maryland. I quickly found that football was king in my new neck of the woods. And now being able to see more sports on tv, I fell hard for football. Our gang of kids played it all the time. More like murder ball. But we had a blast. Most kids were all about Johnny Unitas. For me, it came down to a choice between two teams. Their team names were cool. Their logo's were cool. and the two QB's had the coolest sounding names in the world. The teams, were the Raiders, and the Redskins. I remembered the name.
Advantage Redskins.
The Raiders logo is a good one. The Redskins logo was different than I remembered. But now, it was even cooler.
Advantage Redskins.
Daryle Lamonica, is a cool sounding name. Not badass like say, Ten Bears. But cool.
However, not as cool as Sonny Jurgensen.
Game, Set, Match. Redskins.
Later, Sir Vince came in and decided to change the helmet again. I liked the spear better, but the R helmet encircled with a feather was still cool. So, no problem.
Then, they redid it again, and made the hands down goddamn best looking helmet ever made. They're forgiven for the one year of tucking the feather under, since the wised up and switched it back.

So, if just the logo was gonna change, or the uniform, maybe I could live with it. Don't know how they could ever do better. But, maybe.
But I've been a Redskins fan since I became a football fan. I don't believe I can find a way to remain a fan of football, if my team is erased from existence.

Still hoping for another Monday Night Miracle. Fool that I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
what really irks me is that the team might finally be turning the corner and I might be completely unfollowing them just as they get better on the field, but I am not kidding, if they change the name to something lame and that has nothing to do with Indians, I am just done. I probably will quit watching football altogether, I have been slowly watching fewer games every year anyway, last year I didnt even get sunday ticket

1594394578299.png

Just pissing here. Hard to moan while biting your tongue though. ;)

That's what I am curious about.....................what name Snyder has 'already' come up with................

The guy is tone deaf on just about every issue that comes up. My guess is he comes up with something marginal like Pollin did with the name change from Bullets to Wizards.

And then we will have to deal with an uninspiring team playing under an uninspiring name and logo.

In re Redskins, in the end result Native-Americans did not have a spokesperson due to the dispersed nature of populations/tribes across many states to speak up for the name to preserve it.

The Cherokees in one state said the name was OK. The Oneida Chief said it was demeaning and the Oneidas were part of the lawsuit over the trademark. So, in the end result what do you do with that?

In re Redskins, in the end result Native-Americans did not have a spokesperson due to the dispersed nature of populations/tribes across many states to speak up for the name to preserve it.

The Cherokees in one state said the name was OK. The Oneida Chief said it was demeaning and the Oneidas were part of the lawsuit over the trademark. So, in the end result what do you do with that?

Halbritter is not a Chief of any native nation. He created his own company, named it "Oneida Nation Enterprises", and made himself the CEO so he could, via obfuscation, say he was chief of something Oneida. Dude's a pretender, and just as bad as the idea he is criticizing.

He's gotten in further since he started his little crusade, but that was more by hostile monetary takeover than anything else. What can ya do.

Snyder should have changed the name when he bought the team that way a lot of us could have been spared the past 20 years of ineptitude. Literally 20 years of Cerrato and Allen Jr buffoonery. Then after that manure you want to change the name? For real?

Keep the logo and change the name to the Washington Oklahomans since nobody seems to be considering that name, with the exact same meaning, a problem. Or the Washington Natives because nobody seems to currently despise that word either.

Either that or go with something more fitting, such as, The Landover Lemmings, or The Patomac Pansies.

While I get your point, telling people "get over it and deal with it" is not how anyone should handle something. This is a lifetime of fanhood, memories and legacies passed down...all gone now.

just getting over it and move on isn't something you can put a time limit on or tell people how to do it. I wake up every morning and check this site knowing it might have news of an official change. That is not something I enjoy doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.