• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Announce Formal Review of Team Name

Sadly, it doesn't work that way in 2020. I believe the original intention of the name was to reference warpaint, not skin color. If that's wrong, someone please correct me. But even if 'Redskins' was designed to reference Native American skin color, how is it in any substantive way different than people referring to others as 'whites' and 'blacks'?

If someone can answer me why 'Redskins' is a horrible racist epithet, but calling me 'white' or a brother 'black' is not - I'll get on board the name change train right now. It's literally insane that folks don't recognize it is exactly the same thing.

I think in the end result ANY reference to Native American people, folklore or culture are not going to be accepted by critics.

What these folks are driving at is the objectification of a culture. That is what they are really talking about. That's why the Braves are now coming under fire after Washington and Cleveland are in the process of reviewing their naming conventions.

I think we should marry up the Redskins with the other teams in town that wear red, white and blue (like Pittsburgh) and then rename the team something along the line of 'Senators' or another name that refers to DC being the capital city, like the Washington Capitals or Nationals.

A slightly different perspective:

A about 15-20 years ago I was actually pro name change, at least in the sense that I really didn't care enough to keep it if Indians were offended by it. I had heard and been influenced by the squeaky wheels. As many have alluded to though I hadn't really heard from any Indians yet. Oh and I had a few college buddies who were Indians (Fairbrother sounds like a pretty genuinely Indian last name to those who would scoff at someone self identifying) that had no problem with it but they were dopey college kids who hadn't ever really thought about it. Still it wasn't offensive enough to even get them to think about it.

Fast forward a few years to me moving here to Ohio, making new friends and meeting new people. I was involved in other Redskins and Sports communities online and wound up meeting some pretty interesting folks. One day in an online debate of this I got a pm from one of my new Cleveland Browns fans (I used to frequent a smack talk board of theirs that was pretty crazy). He politely lit me up and set me straight on a LOT of misconceptions I had about this. He enlightened me on the etymology of the word Redskin, how it actually used by Indians and how they actually feel about it. NOT what some non Indian organization told me but what actual Indians said and do. Normally you'd take this all with a grain of salt as being one guy's opinion. Here's the rub though...he was an active liaison for the Federal Government to several reservations out west. He not only was an Indian but he actively interacted with Indians on a daily basis. His view then and now is that this is exactly what many have labeled it as a SJW cause NOT supported by Indians with the exception of a noisy annoying few.

This conversation floored me and pretty much changed my thinking 180 degrees. The logo, was painted by Blackfoot artists. The team name was given by the Indian coach of the team at the time. When the team last changed the logo a delegation of Indians came to Washington and requested the iconography be changed back to an Indian head and provided the artwork to do so. Schools on reservations in states across the land, not just a few isolated incidents, but multiple cases of the exact same name and imagery being used for Indian High Schools. No one forced them they CHOSE it. Douchebags like Florio aren't intellectually honest and won't even recognize these facts. It's why the only chance is Snyder having a backbone of granite.

IF Snyder decides to go down in a blaze of glory, he needs to say all of that at his press conference and make sure that he says that all of this, like most things these days, is just a loudmouthed few with a bullhorn provided by the lib media. There have been a lot of good points made in this thread about what could be going on behind the scenes. Right now, the danny has no fans left to fill his stadium. He has driven this team into the ground so badly they can't GIVE tickets away. If his advertisers leave, which it looks like they're getting ready to do, he's up shit creek. The revenue sharing alone won't keep him afloat. The one thing he cares about, money, won't be coming in.

Meanwhile the NFL, on it's way to extinction and eager to please the SJW crowd that won't go the games even if they get their way, will be more than happy to pile on. They figure the danny has turned the team to shit. so it's payback time for not selling jerseys. Plus he's an overall dick, so they'll force him out one way or another in this woke environment, and the team will change to whatever PC name/logo the NFL wants.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, the NFL (and NASCAR and the NBA) have already made the calculation that they don't need to care about anyone over 35 to 40. That's us. Anyone that cares about such "crap" as the National Anthem, the USA and all that other old fashioned "garbage", they're giving them the big ol finger.

The danny has already made calculations too. Yes, he's a little weasel, but one of the few things he's good at is math. His calculation is that he, like the NFL, can afford to cast off the old fans. We aren't going to the games anyway, or buying jerseys anymore. And that he can afford to piss off Theisman, Riggins and the rest too, because you notice you haven't heard a peep from them.

Yep, the old Guard is being given the heave ho, and the danny is hoping with a really swell team name and cool new coach and jerseys, things will be glorious again and all the fans will come back crawling back. Only problem is, he's never been able to pull that off in the last 20 years. So, if it somehow works out THIS time, he thinks "Great for ME"t. And if it doesn't, he sells his PC named team and rides off into the sunset, with old school fans lined up and cursing his name as he leaves Redskins Park for the last time, spitting and pissing on his limo as he drives away for what he has done to a once proud team.

I think a new name needs to have some relevance to DC. Our problem is, names like 'Capitals', 'DC United', and the 'Nationals' are in use and most of the symbols and recent DC history are loathsome. Senators is a no-go for the most obvious of reasons. Maybe the Bureaucrats?

I think in the end result ANY reference to Native American people, folklore or culture are not going to be accepted by critics.

What these folks are driving at is the objectification of a culture. That is what they are really talking about. That's why the Braves are now coming under fire after Washington and Cleveland are in the process of reviewing their naming conventions.

I think we should marry up the Redskins with the other teams in town that wear red, white and blue (like Pittsburgh) and then rename the team something along the line of 'Senators' or another name that refers to DC being the capital city, like the Washington Capitals or Nationals.

Funny isn't it? If the danny just jumped up out of the blue and said "We don't like this Indian stuff anymore, we're getting rid of it all and getting something cool", people would be howling about what a "raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist" he was and calling for his head. But since it's the "Woke" crowd doing it, it's cool. Only someone that's "woke" could wipe out anything and everything that relates to Indians. It's just that they're too stupid or ate up with themselves to realize that their ACTIONS are the same as someone who wanted to get rid of Redskins/Indian stuff because they were a bigot

I like the idea of the red, white, and blue. But the name Senators is awful. First off, it's tied to a baseball team that left town twice. Secondly, I know back in the day, people had a respect for people in government. So having a baseball team named after the Senators was appropriate. That just isn't the case these days. Anything connected to politics or government is a no-go in my opinion. I still think the Generals would be funny because then you would have two franchises named the Washington Generals that just get clowned on all the time.

I'm guessing the name change is a done deal. But guess what--I will never call them anything but the Redskins.

I thought the name would never change, and should never change. However, I suppose it's inevitable and because of this I've been thinking that since the name will inevitably change we shouldn't tie ourselves to the past too much and should look to the future. Here are my thoughts:

1) We shouldn't choose a name with any Native American imagery... It will just be debated another 5-10 years down the road like Chiefs, Braves, Indians will be targeted. This means Red Wolves, Red Hawks and Red Tails are out for me. I think this loud minority will never stop bothering the team unless we go in a different direction completely.
2) Don't choose a name just because you want to keep the song or the HTTR initials, choose a name because it's good.
3) Choose a name that is meaningful to the DMV regionally. I'd personally go with a Military theme.
4) Don't choose a name simply because of alliteration (e.g. Washington Wizards)...
5) Stay out of Politics... Politics is a part of this region, but nobody really likes or takes pride in the Politics of others or even their own at times. (e.g. Senators)
6) Don't get it wrong, because this town has already seen the results when a team gets a name change completely wrong.

I might not mind some of the mentioned names, but I'd go strictly modern military and embrace a new logo that speaks to the best of our American Military.

Here are a few that seem good to me now:

1) Washington Arsenal - The name has hints of both Military and NFL symbolism. Local ties to the Pentagon and Old Town Arlington Torpedo Factory (off the top of my head).
2) Washington Veterans - Could be shortened to "Vets" like we shorten Nats... We honor the military at games, let's do it in name also.
3) Washington Valor - Yes, I know it was used already for Arena Football, but I believe it was a pretty good name. Honor/Pride also decent names.

There are great young people in every generation - in fact, likely the majority of them have good heads on their shoulders and good intentions in their hearts. New generations are always going to be idealistic compared to *cough* more experienced ones. Societal trends change. It has been America's history and mostly it's been for the good. Overreach is always a part of that. I'm also not sure blaming the name change stuff on the young is even accurate. What really drove this was corporate political correctness - the establishment, fearful of the current environment - applying pressure.

I thought the name would never change, and should never change. However, I suppose it's inevitable and because of this I've been thinking that since the name will inevitably change we shouldn't tie ourselves to the past too much and should look to the future. Here are my thoughts:

1) We shouldn't choose a name with any Native American imagery... It will just be debated another 5-10 years down the road like Chiefs, Braves, Indians will be targeted. This means Red Wolves, Red Hawks and Red Tails are out for me. I think this loud minority will never stop bothering the team unless we go in a different direction completely.
2) Don't choose a name just because you want to keep the song or the HTTR initials, choose a name because it's good.
3) Choose a name that is meaningful to the DMV regionally. I'd personally go with a Military theme.
4) Don't choose a name simply because of alliteration (e.g. Washington Wizards)...
5) Stay out of Politics... Politics is a part of this region, but nobody really likes or takes pride in the Politics of others or even their own at times. (e.g. Senators)
6) Don't get it wrong, because this town has already seen the results when a team gets a name change completely wrong.

I might not mind some of the mentioned names, but I'd go strictly modern military and embrace a new logo that speaks to the best of our American Military.

Here are a few that seem good to me now:

1) Washington Arsenal - The name has hints of both Military and NFL symbolism. Local ties to the Pentagon and Old Town Arlington Torpedo Factory (off the top of my head).
2) Washington Veterans - Could be shortened to "Vets" like we shorten Nats... We honor the military at games, let's do it in name also.
3) Washington Valor - Yes, I know it was used already for Arena Football, but I believe it was a pretty good name. Honor/Pride also decent names.

Very nice post. I'm on record with not wanting the military tie-in, although I would much prefer THAT over just changing the name to 'Warriors' and keeping the rest of the native imagery. I'm over the Native American stuff and like you, want to move on from it for good. I've also argued that having something related to the actual area would be nice, but also agree with you that political monikers are not going to work. I sort of dig the Veterans (setting aside my bitching about the NFLs compulsive need to pander to the military). Valor is not bad. They could even steal the recent DC Defenders name. That would actually be ideal because it's a big change, and 'Defenders' has both a football and military connotation.

I realize in my post above that I put "Red Wolves" in the category of ties to Native American imagery and I may have been wrong there.

Also, I think an idea for this year (while in transition) would be to just embrace what they do in soccer... Call it "Washington FC" officially and replace the emblem with a spear and the word Redskins with "Washington" everywhere. This way, if fans call it Redskins and sing Hail to the Redskins in the stands, it doesn't reflect on the club or sponsors.

If Bezos buys, I figure I'll live with whatever name he wants.

There are great young people in every generation - in fact, likely the majority of them have good heads on their shoulders and good intentions in their hearts. New generations are always going to be idealistic compared to *cough* more experienced ones. Societal trends change. It has been America's history and mostly it's been for the good. Overreach is always a part of that. I'm also not sure blaming the name change stuff on the young is even accurate. What really drove this was corporate political correctness - the establishment, fearful of the current environment - applying pressure.
You just made my argument. Who do you think is driving this insane political correctness that has corporate sponsors wetting themselves?

The problem is, just about anything that suggests Native American, like the spear, won't be acceptable.
Neither will wearing anything "Redskins" at the stadiums. At home, or away.
Singing Hail to The Redskins will get you removed from the stadium.
Any Karen, anywhere, will have everyone wearing Redskins gear removed from restaurants, clubs, stores, or public spaces.

It doesn't end.

The problem is, just about anything that suggests Native American, like the spear, won't be acceptable.
Any Karen, anywhere, will have everyone wearing Redskins gear removed from restaurants, clubs, stores, or public spaces.

It doesn't end.
I don't know about the spear logo, but I don't think anything else you referenced will occur.

It doesn't end.

This is where we see how 'real' this is. If the name truly is as racist as they believe, then highlights and history will be removed from NFL Network, Youtube, ESPN, all the major networks... we won't be able to watch the past for fear of using the term..

Reactions: Ax
I don't know about the spear logo, but I don't think anything else you referenced will occur.
I hope you're right. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Recent history shows wearing the wrong kind of hat can get your serviced denied at restaurants, or even physically assaulted.
Places can already deny entry for inappropriate attire. According to the mob, Redskins is right up there with KKK, and White Power.
The mob pressures the advertisers. The advertisers pressure the NFL. No Redskins stuff allowed in stadiums.

Redskins, is in the process of being erased. Not just replaced. IMHO.

Changed my name on twitter to "Ken Burgundy Wolf".

Thinking it won't make a difference.

107319967_3580857801943951_6653172361549486529_n.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.