• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Announce Formal Review of Team Name

I can't speak to any other situation, even though I find a lot of what is going on to be nonsense. What I am speaking about is the Redskins team name. A name that by all accounts has not been offensive. As I stated in another thread, there is no other context to the Redskins other than a football team. There is no other use of that word in our society. That is what I'm speaking to. If I am wrong and it is offensive and has another context that people actually use to hurt Native Americans, I want to know that and I want to know why. It would cause me to think about if changing the name is the way to go. But as of now, this movement to change the name is contrary to everything else I've ever seen or heard outside of the outrage mob.

I respect your pov Kal. I'm looking at the general and practical consequences that fall out from this.

Hope you enjoyed the fourth.

Wish he was never hired.

Trojan horse

it sure as hell fits the narrative of ‘culture change’ doesn’t it

Remember last season when Dan was schmoozing with that shit head Bezos? Bet ya a $1 there will be an announcement of a future ‘Amazon Field’ this season...home of the PC Correctable's.

Hail to the Correctable's
Screw you & me
Ambiguous things doing hard math!
Fight for old P.C.!

Yeah, I said this earlier. Polls and studies these days are hard to believe because they seem to be done to prove a point instead of finding the truth. If you don’t like true results, you go do another study until you find what you like. I always like when news organizations or other people produce stories on polls that contradict their normal reporting. Not because it’s a “see I told you so” moment, but rather it shows they did a real study and weren’t afraid to publish something that may have contradicted their previous position. That takes guts, which is missing from pretty much every news organization these days. That’s one of the reasons I found that Washington Post poll from a few years ago so fascinating. They have been very much against the name for a while, but did a study that found that 90% of Native Americans did not find it offensive. I was surprised they printed the results, but I appreciated their honesty in that moment.

I just wish we could get an honest and open assessment of the name from the Native American community. I just don’t think they will be allowed to speak. I know I’m repeating myself, but I don’t like when other people speak for someone else without letting them speak.

Here are results from a study run by UC Berkeley on the subject. It addresses the polls run by the Washington Post.

Washington Redskins' name, mascots offend more than previously reported

Honestly still trying to figure out how I feel about all this.

Here's the problem with how studies/surveys are used in these things: I saw several red flags with how they measured in both upon first glance. First issue? They allow self-identification to determine whether or not you are "Native American". Issue with the Berkeley study? They weight based on how strongly they identify that way.

That literally means that a 2018 Elizabeth Warren has as much of a say in this as any Native from the rez. If not more, if she "identifies stronger" than any of us with actual Native blood. These studies are critically flawed, and will be used to say whatever the researchers want them to say.

In the end, what we think doesn't matter. What the Native American population thinks doesn't matter. This is being done to appease the current movement, nothing more, nothing less. Being offended should literally never be a cause for any sort of large-scale change, as it is literally a choice to be offended. Things are not inherently offensive. There is a reason you can say any given "offensive" word to another culture/society, and they wouldn't think twice about it, shared language or not. The reason there is so much confusion on this matter is because so much of the population didn't know to be offended by it until they were told to be so.

Intent is more important than the words used. People really need to get away from this obsession with words being bad, as it is driving some terrible behavior in people. The intent of the name has been clearly stated, and communicated as such coherently to a large group of people. It hasn't been until people were informed consistently for a couple decades that they should be offended that the needle even moved.

It's a gross manipulation, using people's positive intents for personal gain, which is why I am so strongly against it. It isn't some vast conspiracy, it is just some people being stupid, and getting traction which makes them believe more strongly that they were right. This wasn't orchestrated, it is just how people work, and a few yahoos stumbled upon the method. Unfortunately, we are all going to pay for it more than any perceived offense could ever be corrected to benefit, and some people will be out there patting themselves on the back for doing nothing but making people angry.

A poll from UC Berkeley is like asking Vox readers how they plan to vote for PoTUS, then releasing an article saying “99% of people polled are voting for Joe Biden.”

LOL

Unless you guys are willing to look at different and diverse sources of information, you will get only that information you want...oh...I see now. It's all good. :unsure:

I was not touting the study by UC Berkeley as definitive but rather as one piece of the puzzle. One Piece! Several of us have quoted the Wash Post polls done over the last 4-5 years and it seemed like a different voice might be in order.

And for the record, the participants in the Wash Post polls all self-identified as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Om
I will hate to do it, but I will be out. I have been sitting on this thought since it happened and I just dont want to continue any longer.

I was asked if the name meant more to me than the team itself. No, but the tradition of it does. I have suffered through 10+ years of mediocrity for the sheer fact that I am a REDSKINS fan. I am not a Redtails fan, and honestly. I think even the name Redtails is just catering to the BLM movement that is hot at the moment.

New coaches, new QB, new assistant coaches, new everything. Now new team name? It is a perfect time for me to free up my Sundays and not be frustrated over this organization any longer.

I love you guys and hope to keep in touch if this does happen formally, I am going to give up the team. I will keep some of my really cool memorabilia but most of it will end up leaving my house.

what an utterly sad time. I never thought I would see the day I had to give up my favorite team, my favorite sport, and one of my favorite things to do on Sundays.

How many Native Americans do you guys know? I actually do know a few and guess what? They don't use the term Native American. They call themsekves--drum roll please--Indians. I honestly think they are sitting back and chuckling. Watching a bunch of clueless white asshole s acting so morally righteous over something they haven't even been asked about.

I'm riding the same escalator Mike - up - to a different floor. There are other values in life also worthy of weaving into your/my faimly histories.

Mixing metaphors: one door closes, another opens.

I got in to a verbal argument on Instagram live with Chick Hernandez last night over it. He states that "even if some are offended it must change" so I asked him does that apply to everything? If i get enough people to agree can I get anything changed?

He told me to just get used to it. It was changing. He's right on that part...but, I wont go down without a fight.

Three minority owners who have about 40% of the teams stock want to sell. they want out over this whole thing.

The media, aka Enemy of The People, are just one wing of the problem.

Wonder if the Trump children could pool their money and buy the minority shares?

A slightly different perspective:

A about 15-20 years ago I was actually pro name change, at least in the sense that I really didn't care enough to keep it if Indians were offended by it. I had heard and been influenced by the squeaky wheels. As many have alluded to though I hadn't really heard from any Indians yet. Oh and I had a few college buddies who were Indians (Fairbrother sounds like a pretty genuinely Indian last name to those who would scoff at someone self identifying) that had no problem with it but they were dopey college kids who hadn't ever really thought about it. Still it wasn't offensive enough to even get them to think about it.

Fast forward a few years to me moving here to Ohio, making new friends and meeting new people. I was involved in other Redskins and Sports communities online and wound up meeting some pretty interesting folks. One day in an online debate of this I got a pm from one of my new Cleveland Browns fans (I used to frequent a smack talk board of theirs that was pretty crazy). He politely lit me up and set me straight on a LOT of misconceptions I had about this. He enlightened me on the etymology of the word Redskin, how it actually used by Indians and how they actually feel about it. NOT what some non Indian organization told me but what actual Indians said and do. Normally you'd take this all with a grain of salt as being one guy's opinion. Here's the rub though...he was an active liaison for the Federal Government to several reservations out west. He not only was an Indian but he actively interacted with Indians on a daily basis. His view then and now is that this is exactly what many have labeled it as a SJW cause NOT supported by Indians with the exception of a noisy annoying few.

This conversation floored me and pretty much changed my thinking 180 degrees. The logo, was painted by Blackfoot artists. The team name was given by the Indian coach of the team at the time. When the team last changed the logo a delegation of Indians came to Washington and requested the iconography be changed back to an Indian head and provided the artwork to do so. Schools on reservations in states across the land, not just a few isolated incidents, but multiple cases of the exact same name and imagery being used for Indian High Schools. No one forced them they CHOSE it. Douchebags like Florio aren't intellectually honest and won't even recognize these facts. It's why the only chance is Snyder having a backbone of granite.

Last edited:
How many Native Americans do you guys know? I actually do know a few and guess what? They don't use the term Native American. They call themsekves--drum roll please--Indians. I honestly think they are sitting back and chuckling. Watching a bunch of clueless white asshole s acting so morally righteous over something they haven't even been asked about.

Exactly, I’ve asked several myself and not 1 has expressed disdain for the term Redskins. I actually live 1/2 mile from a reservation and the team name is the absolute last thing on their minds, if at all.

I got in to a verbal argument on Instagram live with Chick Hernandez last night over it. He states that "even if some are offended it must change" so I asked him does that apply to everything? If i get enough people to agree can I get anything changed?

He told me to just get used to it. It was changing. He's right on that part...but, I wont go down without a fight.

Three minority owners who have about 40% of the teams stock want to sell. they want out over this whole thing.

So if his name ‘Chick’ offends me will he change it?

This pill may be a little easier to swallow if the actual majority of American Indians voiced for a change, but its NOT the case. This is nothing but placating to a mob of SJW honkeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.