• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Announce Formal Review of Team Name

I met Art Monk when I was 9 years old in in 1982 when the Redskins played the Falls Church HS faculty in basketball. Still have the Topps sticker album he autographed, Less than a year later, the Redskins won their first Superbowl. A few years later, I saw the Redskins win another, then another a few after that.

The Redskins impacted my childhood and adolescence. A new name is a new team is a new record. I willingly and without reservation admit it’s a team I won’t follow. I’m having a difficult time enough following the Nats and even the Cap with white knights like Braden Holtby (who will likely be supplanted next year for younger talent, anyway) and Sean Doolittle. I don’t have the desire or time to follow a whole-new team. Following even the ‘Skins over the last 20 years hasn’t been child-play, the crap that Snyder has put on the field.

Change the name, and its‘a closing a book, not even a chapter. Sports in-general are becoming progressively intolerable to me and this is the proverbial straw.

Get over it and deal with it are your words, not mine Mike. I did say ‘it’s happening and fans should start wrapping their heads around that’. That’s not the same thing as telling anyone how they should feel about it.

Boone, I like the design as well, but not the name Warriors. The Bullets changed the name because of the violent overtones of the word bullet. The same is now coming to the Redskins for a demand to change their nickname because it's a "racial" issue... so imho naming the team that is in the Nation's Capital something that would then make the politicians change it because it sounds too much like Warlords to the world.

Not only should we support the people who were living on this land but I would love to honor the past, present, and future and watch my Washington football team be brave and strong...just like The Native American word Kitchi means "brave" or "strong". I think a team of designers and like mentioned definitely have the Native American community could think of a name that fits both words or something to their liking. Before I found the word Kitchi, I was thinking of the name THUNDER with a single feather down the middle like those worn before the spear helmet.

Feathers, present in virtually every Native American tribe, the feather symbol is universally recognized as a representation of trust, strength, wisdom, freedom, and honor. Incorporated into many sacred pieces of Native American wear, the feather is easily one of the most respected symbols.

Here's a pretty interesting article about how people of this land got the name Indian and how the term Native American was started.

https://www.umass.edu/legal/derrico/name.html

THUNDER.jpg

Get over it and deal with it are your words, not mine Mike. I did say ‘it’s happening and fans should start wrapping their heads around that’. That’s not the same thing as telling anyone how they should feel about it.
Wrap your heads about it and deal with it are just two ways of saying the same thing. Some of us are still in disbelief mode, some are in denial, some are in anger. Some of us are still wishing for a Monday night miracle.

We know it is 99.9999% happening, but it is not something that has a timeline for wrapping heads around or dealing with.

I gotcha Mike. Sorry if I ruffled feathers. :chestram2:

The way I look at it is a Washington sports team is a Washington sports team.

The Washington Senators 1924 World Series title and Walter Johnson's HOF career here belong to US. 'Washington' is referenced the Hall of fame not the 'Texas Rangers' or 'Minnesota Twins'.

Likewise, the Washington Redskins 1937, 1942, 1982, 1987 and 1991 titles belong to US. Name change or no the titles were won here.

So, if the Washington WarHawks or Red Wolves or Commanders win a Super Bowl 10 years from now, I will embrace that victory.

I didn't like the change of the Bullets to Wizards, and I thought it was doubly bad a change because the new name had nothing to do with the history of DC.

But that doesn't mean I don't believe a Wizards season or run to a championship at some point is somehow not relevant to me.

I told you guys 3 years ago that it was just a matter of time, but I honestly didn't think it would be this soon. the Left won. and now they are demanding that the Chiefs also change their name. welcome to 2020 when feelings matter more than anything else.

Reactions: Ax
The way I look at it is a Washington sports team is a Washington sports team.

The Washington Senators 1924 World Series title and Walter Johnson's HOF career here belong to US. 'Washington' is referenced the Hall of fame not the 'Texas Rangers' or 'Minnesota Twins'.

Likewise, the Washington Redskins 1937, 1942, 1982, 1987 and 1991 titles belong to US. Name change or no the titles were won here.

So, if the Washington WarHawks or Red Wolves or Commanders win a Super Bowl 10 years from now, I will embrace that victory.

I didn't like the change of the Bullets to Wizards, and I thought it was doubly bad a change because the new name had nothing to do with the history of DC.

But that doesn't mean I don't believe a Wizards season or run to a championship at some point is somehow not relevant to me.
I disagree, to me, we were forced to change the name by asshats who don't even care about this team. virtue signalling turdbags.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.