• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

In his 5 yr career he’s averaged 11.6 games a yr . 3 of those 5 he played in at least 13. 13 -16-15 respectively before the down year in Washington. I like Curtis and think he can bring electricity to our offense- add to that he doesn’t have to be the man in our offense so less pressure on him . I’m going to be a little more optimistic than you Chris and say he’ll be right around his average and say 11

I'm not gonna count on Samuel, nor worry about him.
Especially this year, when we're stronger at the position, and could realistically do well there, if he doesn't register a single play this seasosn.
Added Dotson, and I think Brown will mature and have a bigger impact, so that we can "Go downtown with Dyami Brown".
All this, I think will help Sims, because he won't feel the pressure of being one of the "major threats" anymore. For a while he was counted on as a #2 or #3,
which probably wasn't where he belonged. But as a #4, he can surprise teams, as kind of a secret weapon, while everyone on defense is focusing on the other guys,
you got Sims who can come up clutch.
So, anything that Samuel does or adds, will be a bonus.

Last edited:
New fight song is basically the old fight song with Commanders replacing Redskins.

Why even bother? This organization is beyond embarrassing.

Right up there with the alternative helmet they are pimping - a solid black helmet with the 'W' on the front :) Wow - now that's creative and iconic ...

I just come here for the hot takes.

New fight song is basically the old fight song with Commanders replacing Redskins.

Why even bother? This organization is beyond embarrassing.

Here are the two 'options'...

option1.jpg

option2.jpg

First of all, I think the idea of tweaking the previous fight song is just a bad idea. You changed the name, stop trying to lessen the blow in a lame attempt to 'honor tradition'. Those traditions died the moment you changed the name. But, if you are determined to go that route - you have to make that first line 5 syllables. It just doesn't work with 6. That is a no-brainer. As Om suggested, make it 'Hail to Commanders'. Secondly, using 'fight' repeatedly is so lame - you can't come up with another verb? Jesus! 'Beat em' and 'Swamp em' were holdovers from the Native American theme sort of in line with 'we want heap more' in the original version. To me, it no longer fits and was borderline stupid even in the original version. Finally, in the 2nd version 'Leaders on a mission'???? What???? It's a goddamn football team not a Congresional committee or group of activists. Give me a break.

I'm trying not to be cynical and hypercritical but this is the same kind of amateurish, half-assed, non-creative shit we've seen pretty much every step of the way with this new regime. I don't know what they are paying these marketing and PR types, but I could come up with better in 15 minutes than this tripe.

They are getting lit up and mocked on social media and they deserve every bit of it.

Last edited:
I agree. Besides, while I loved, "Hail to the Redskins," "Hail to the Commanders" just doesn't ring right. I may be overthinking it, but the word "hail" even if it means greeting in English just is to close to the German salute. HTTR was great. HTTC means something totally different to me.

It's probably just me. Maybe I make that connection only because I was raised by my grandmother who was a Holocaust survivor. In the bigger picture, why not have a new fight song with a melody and lyrics that speak to today. Besides, if you sing HTTC at the game, out of habit, a great majority will slip (intentionally or unintentionally) and say the words they are most familiar with. I know I would.

I think they'd have been far better off simply launching the new brand as if we were an expansion team. The new team will be, for better or worse, the DC franchise, and you keep the colors. Other than that - start from scratch and dispense with the feeble and painfully awkward attempts to merge an old franchise's traditions with a new name no one wanted or connects with. What they are trying to do is greatly complicated by the fact that they chose a name that doesn't represent anything clearly definable. How do you build a brand around that? Good luck.

Yep. On top of that, I kind of reject the whole 90th year nonsense. What are we celebrating ninety years of? Being in DC? No, some of those years were in Boston. Being the Redskins, well no, 2 of those years we were the WFT and this year we're the Commanders. Ownership? Nope. The team has changed hands and there isn't even 90 years of ownership continuity.

This is year one. That's pretty cool. This is not year ninety.

I have to believe most of us, as die-hard as we are (even now), we just aren't very open or amenable to any of the fan-directed schtick the folks running the franchise at the moment seem determined to shove down our throats. The only thing that is going to improve fan morale and perhaps give Wright and company a reprieve from snark, cynicism, mockery, and negativity is if they start playing at a high level. It would be helpful if the decision-makers in Ashburn would stop stepping on their collective cranks with every fan-oriented decision they make. But even if they weren't constantly pushing out embarrassingly bad concepts and changes, we'd still be very disinclined to embrace them.

The game trumps everything. And until there is something to consistently cheer about, it's going to be brutal for the folks running this goatrope of a sideshow.

Yeah. Sadly, I'm not sure if winning will erase all stink at this point.

For most of the last thirty years, I've been able to compartmentalize on field vs. off field, but there's no denying that we have lost fans in a way that other perpetually losing teams haven't. The Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs had huge feverish fan bases despite a hundred years of losing. All the off field stuff has been like drip torture. It just wears you down. It's probably damn near the point where if Snyder actually still is a fan of the team the best thing he could do is sell it.

That said, Rivera is likable. McClaurin is likable. So is Allen and a bunch of other guys. There aren't many bleeps on the team. So, it should be easy to root for this team. Yet the cloud is thick and made of smog. We need a Snyder vaccine.

This whole thing is a disaster. I’ve said it before, but this is what happens when you change a name for the wrong reasons and do so to try and please people coming after you. This whole rebranding is a disaster. I agree with Boone that they should have just treated it as a new team. It feels like that with everything they do. And when they do try to tie into the history, they mess it up so bad because it’s people not connecting to the history doing it. While I agree winning will change some things, but the only real change that will make a difference is the one we have been calling for, a new owner who cleans house. And no, I’m not calling for changes on the football side, just the operation side. Of course by the time anything gets done on that front, it may be time to clean out the football side of things. But most of our frustration is on the operation side.

Joe Jacoby passed over for the HOF - again.

• Angry
Reactions: Om
Commanders’ HC Ron Rivera said TE Antonio Gandy-Golden is retiring and returning to school.

I give him credit for being able to read the (TE) room.

I didn't think he was going to make the team as a TE anyways. But, I wish him all the best at school

Yeah - I agree - If Logan comes back healthy, we are pretty stocked at TE, at least compared to previous years. AGG is likely just one of those guys who isn't quite talented enough for this level. Smart that he recognizes it and is making plans to do something else instead of wasting 4 or 5 years trying to catch on somewhere...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.