• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I was trying to see what was behind this firing of Mills. I did see this tweet from JP Finlay. The timing still raises questions, but it does sound like this was something that needed to be addressed.

Coach- jump

Players- how high?

1D44761D-A662-4F21-85B0-5EE4B8750456.jpeg

I was wondering about that. I can imagine a scenario where Kerrigan is hired as Asst. D Line coach. We do know that both Young and Sweat praised Kerrigan for his mentorship which may have just been players being nice to the player they are replacing, but they were actually better in Young's rookie year while Kerrigan was there.

I tend to think the Kerrigan thing is coincidental. If Kerrigan wants to coach, I'm sure he'll eventually be able to do that. There had to be either some major precipitating event here (either personal conduct issue or a major blow-up with Rivera or Del Rio) to result in a veteran coach getting canned. I don't see the firing happening now if it were primarily a chemistry issue with players, or dissatisfaction with the DL performance. Those things might be issues - but you don't fire a coach going into preseason when you've had since January to do it.

I wonder if Mills was a bit pissed off that they were bringing in consultants to 'assist' with his position group over the last few weeks.

I don't think kerrigan is ready to be a full time coach or even in consideration for it, but I do believe the players love him being around and respond to him. Now, did that bring jealousy and turn the players against Mills? Possibly. But, we underperformed so bad last year something had to change.

I just wish we took the same philosophy with our OC and other coaches who do ridiculously stupid things game after game.

At least this move proves critics wrong that all Rivera does is bring in Carolina players and coaches and runs a large fraternity without accountability.

If people don't perform, they are going to be gone.

In terms of Kerrigan, I see him deciding to stay in Washington to become a coaching 'intern' much as Chris Samuels was several years ago. I don't see any way he comes in here and gets a regular coaching or assistant level position without putting in the time.

That's not Rivera's style.

As far as Pickett goes - I was unimpressed by Kenny Pickett and surprised he was a first round draft choice. This was the Steelers pressing the panic button as they had nothing on deck to replace Big Ben. Mitch Trubisky is not the answer. He has career backup written all over him.

There were a number of draftniks on the various broadcasts back in April that pointed to Sam Howell being a bargain in Rounds 3 and 4. The fact Washington was able to get him in Round 5 made him perhaps the steal of the draft, when considering the position he plays.

Only thing I’ll say is it’s way too early to project any kind of career arc for either Howell or Pickett. QBs have a way of making the NFL experts look stupid on both sides of the coin. On the other hand, we’ve seen it often enough - where a QB is drafted isn’t a great predictor for long-term success.

I tend to think the Kerrigan thing is coincidental.

What about Sapp ?
He's been hangin around a lot longer, and he's been more active.
Is he just volunteering, interning, getting paid under the table, or auditioning for the vacant Asst DL Coach spot ?

I’d love to see Sapp on this coaching staff

Depending on which Sapp. The drugged out one who gets in fights and hits women...nah

The DL monster who dominated and was a great teammate....sure

But, is he really back to his normal self?

The position isn't vacant though...we promoted the Asst DL Coach.

I’d sort of forgotten about that stuff, so maybe not a good fit - but I don’t know the details. I wasn’t suggesting he take Mills role, just that he’d be a helluva defensive coach.

I get what you mean. Having players like him and Ryan out there mean a lot. Players know you've done it, you've lived it, and they gravitate towards them.

I know I tend to allow myself to be mentored by people I trust have done it over those who are just trained in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.