• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

QBs in the 2012 Draft

The current rumor is that RG3 will stay at Baylor to finish his Master's Degree. Where have you heard otherwise that its "all but certain" that he will declare for the NFL? Not doubting you, just curious.

The rumor of him staying is coming from the Baylor homer who writes for their sport network online. Each university has a writer through rivals.com and some other service (can't recall the name now) and most are students or alums.

RG3 has taken the intitial steps toward entering the draft. Sure, he could have a last minute change of heart. So could Luck. Landry Jones too. But indications see it otherwise.

Tell me again about draft position, losing out and why it'd be a bad thing

Because if we lose out it means the rookies aren't coming along as we need them to, and more than a few of them are probably busts, whereas wins more likely indicate hits in the past draft, which means fewer draft picks we have to waste in future drafts to try again at those spots. And because if you just spent the past month rooting for losses so that we could draft a guy and then he ultimately decides to stay in school for another year you just rooted for the Cowboys and Giants to win for nothing. You just rooted for our current rookies to suck ... for nothing.

Which is why you worry about the offseason in the offseason.

Last edited:
RG3 will come out. He'd literally be a moron not to. His stock will never be higher.

People said that about Locker too, right up until he announced he was staying.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Because if we lose out it means the rookies aren't coming along as we need them to, and more than a few of them are probably busts, whereas wins more likely indicate hits in the past draft, which means fewer draft picks we have to waste in future drafts to try again at those spots. And because if you just spent the past month rooting for losses so that we could draft a guy and then he ultimately decides to stay in school for another year you just rooted for the Cowboys and Giants to win for nothing. You just rooted for our current rookies to suck ... for nothing.

QUOTE]

On the contrary, I root for the kids to come along and for the team to come along as well, and I think they are doing just that. Even when we weren't winning games, I felt that we were a better team than the scoreboard was indicating. It's weird, but I could sense the team coming along (except when Beck was in), and that was fine by me. Kerrigan is having a very good rookie season and so are some of our other rooks, even some of the later round picks. I just prefer that we put in a good effort and hope we end up on the losing end on the scoreboard. This season is a waste as far as a win/loss record goes, so why not get a good start on the next season?

And even next year I don't expect a whole lot out of a rookie QB, because we still need a line and some WR's.

However, if we get those things, this time next year I expect the wins to start coming, and by the 13 season we better be in the paloffs

Last edited by a moderator:
RG3 returning to school? Gonna need a suicide watch across the Washington, DC area. Wow.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :frown2: :kick_can: :cry:

If both Barkley and RG3 are out of play and the Dolts are set on drafting Luck, well....

About the only real option we'd have at that point is finding someone to trade down with in exchange for another 1st round pick next year. That would give us two 1st rounders to use as trade fodder to go up and get a QB. In the meantime, let's all enjoy another season with Sexy Rrrrrexy at the helm. :toilet:

Then I guess the Redskins will need to package their top 10 pick and move down and take Ryan Tannehill at QB and use the other picks to shore up OL and WR :)

There is a silver lining for a good organization in most situations like this.

The Steelers got Roethlisberger at #11 in Round 1, the Packers got Rodgers who slipped down to #24.

Even Marino went #27, although that was in part due to rumored drug use in college.

But the fact remains that GOOD teams FIND the players they need one way or the other.

The Lakers have won FIVE championships in the past decade, and yet the club has never held the #1 overall pick.

They have traded for players, signed free agents and drafted some guys late - but they have never won a coin toss and simply pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

People said that about Locker too, right up until he announced he was staying.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well, time will tell. Rumors are...well....rumors. Sometimes where there's smoke there's fire. Sometimes, someone's burning TP in the men's room.

We'll see soon enough who's right.

Which is why you worry about the offseason in the offseason.

Pssst. Hey Henry...

If you're a Redskins fan, it IS the offseason brother :)

But the fact remains that GOOD teams FIND the players they need one way or the other.

And therein lies the most obvious dilemma of them all.

We. Aren't. A. Good. Team.

When I say that, I'm speaking to the franchise's inability over the years to find incredible talent beyond where you'd expect to find it.

That's why we need a sure-fire future star QB selected with the absolute highest pick we can bribe, steal, or threaten our way into. Period.

We aren't going to find a Marino or Rodgers at the end of the 1st round. Patrick Ramsey? Maybe. Jason Campbell? Sure. Beyond that, it's mental masturbation.

We need a sure-fire starter. The counter argument is that there is no such thing as 'sure-fire' in the draft, but I think most years, if you own a top pick, that's not accurate anymore. Sure-fire exists. We just aren't ever in position to draft it.

Last edited:

and good teams can spend many years looking for those good QBs.

you make it sound like some syllogistic proof. it's anything but.

Then I guess the Redskins will need to package their top 10 pick and move down and take Ryan Tannehill at QB and use the other picks to shore up OL and WR :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

And try to sign Matt Flynn to a modest contract to take away the starting job from Rex.

There is a silver lining for a good organization in most situations like this.

The Steelers got Roethlisberger at #11 in Round 1, the Packers got Rodgers who slipped down to #24.

Even Marino went #27, although that was in part due to rumored drug use in college.

The Lakers have won FIVE championships in the past decade, and yet the club has never held the #1 overall pick.

They have traded for players, signed free agents and drafted some guys late - but they have never won a coin toss and simply pulled a rabbit out of the hat.
That's a poor comparison, basketball to football. It's much easier to buy a championship in bball. The NFL doesn't allow players to move around nearly as much and has a hard cap for starters.

As for Tannehill, we need a QB, not a WR. :) Seriously, he looks interesting but hasnt started (As a QB) much. That increases the chances that he's a one hit wonder.
Pssst. Hey Henry...

If you're a Redskins fan, it IS the offseason brother :)
Schwinggg!!

WOW!

WOW!

WOW!

Indy just lost the first overall pick in the draft and will not get it back!

This is huge news for the Redskins!!!

Fred Davis, Landry, 2012 1st/2nd plus 2013 1st ---> Luck in a Skins uni. Please?

Fred Davis, Landry, 2012 1st/2nd plus 2013 1st ---> Luck in a Skins uni. Please?

Hey, anything is possible now. If my math is correct, this is how it looks now.

1. Minnesota 2-12 .567
2. St. Louis 2-12 .589
3. Indianapolis 2-13 .629

Two good trading partners right there. Tonight changed everything.

Now, we need to beat Minnesota. It's a must.

Ok, this sos thing is hard to figure out. But it looks like the Vikings are in first, Colts in second, and Rams are third. Various blogs will probably have updates on Friday - so ignore my poor math skills.

Hey, anything is possible now. If my math is correct, this is how it looks now.

1. Minnesota 2-12 .567
2. St. Louis 2-12 .589
3. Indianapolis 2-13 .629

Two good trading partners right there. Tonight changed everything.

Now, we need to beat Minnesota. It's a must.

You're right on target. Should IND win next week and MIN and STL lose out, that would bump IND down to 3. This would give the Skins a chance to trade up for a QB - likely RG3.

In this scenario, I could see MIA trading up to #1 to take Luck - they need a franchise QB, their owner is flashy, and they went into the season hoping to "Suck for Luck."

The Skins could then trade up to #2 ahead of IND and select RG3. See below for what that trade might look like.

In this scenario, it would benefit the Skins to beat MIN.

Scenario: MIN, STL hold picks #1 and #2, WAS holds pick #4 (albeit somewhat hopeful it is possible even with a win over MIN)

WAS gets
1.2.12 2600

STL gets
1.4.12 1800
2.37.12 530
3.68.12 250
total 2580

While it would be a shame to have to trade their 2nd and 3rd round picks, it might well be worth it to get a franchise QB.

I've always said that the Redskins have the smartest (and prettiest) female fans in the world. Case and point is the previous post. I believe her analysis is 100% correct.

Tonight really changed everything. Next week could be even crazier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.