Pickles!!!

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Of all the foods I grew up with, pickles of any kind were always among my favorites. When you mention 'pickles' most of us immediately think of dill pickles or bread and butter pickles, but of course, almost any food can be pickled. Sometimes, folks confuse 'pickling' with 'fermenting' but there is a distinction. True pickling requires salt, vinegar, and sometimes sugars. Fermentation, on the other hand, uses bacteria in our surroundings to create a sour taste. You can make 'pickles' by fermenting cucumbers (if you are old like me, you probably experienced fishing a fermented dill pickle out of a barrel at some point in your life), but this is not true pickling.

I've made a lot of pickles in my life. But there are always new experiments to try. Today I stumbled on a couple of recipes for pickled fish and pickled shrimp. Being a southern boy, we'd never have thought to pickle anything other than vegetables from our garden. But our northern neighbors from up north, many of them having a germanic or eastern european heritage, grew up pickling fish. I'm going to give this a try and it sounds delicious.

MikefromOH

Ring of Fame
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Navy

I have ZERO experience in pickling, but we are growing 5 cucumber plants this year just so we can learn. We all love pickles so I figured it would be cool to do this from our home garden.

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Super easy way to make dill pickles. Take whole washed cucumbers, slice off a small bit where the 'bloom end' is (helps keep pickles crisp). In quarter jars, place a couple of garlic cloves, couple of bay leaves, a tablespoon of mustard seeds, and couple sprigs of fresh dill. Pack in cucumbers and top with garlic, bay leaves, mustard seeds and more fresh dill. Cover with cooled brine made with 3 tablespoons of kosher salt and 4 cups of white vinegar. You can either can by submerging in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes or so, or put them in the fridge. Really good!

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Taking pickling to the extreme, giving pickled fish a try. This is apparently a northern Michigan/Minnesota thing which I'd never heard of nor tried. Got some cod and haddock sitting in salt and white vinegar in the fridge for the next 5 days, then will start the 2nd half of the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0