• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Redskins to audition potential Cundiff replacements Tuesday

BGO

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said yesterday he wasn’t sure what he was going to do with kicker Billy Cundiff. The answer, apparently, is take a look at the alternatives to having him continue to kick. According to Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com, the Redskins will work out at least three kickers Tuesday: Olindo Mare, Josh Brown…
b.gif

More...

So apparently not going to look at Gano again then, huh?

Better late than never.....but this should have happened a week ago.

No, let me correct that, Cundiff never should have been given the job blindly.

Now if Shanny picks Mare, I'm going to lose a lot of faith in his ability to make personnel decisions.

So apparently not going to look at Gano again then, huh?

Ya, is he viewed as that bad by the coaching staff that he doesn't even get a shot... Gotta be a back story there we'll never know.

Kai Forbath is intriguing to me. He was projected as the second best kicker coming out in 2011, but went un-drafted. Never played a down for Dallas, spendng his rookie season on IR. Tampa camp this year, and released.

Twitter reports now claiming that we called Gano first this morning, but that he won't be coming back. Per Grant Paulsen.

If he turned them down, then good for him. I would have demanded an extra $500k per season. He deserves better than Shanny and Danny Smith.

Last edited:
I hope that's not true. Good for him? He has a chance to come back and shove it down the Redskins throats by demonstrating they made a big mistake. He could probably get a nice raise in the process too.

Seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face if you ask me.

Wasn't their some sort of rift between Gano and the coaches over training camp anyway?

I don't know why but I seriously just LOL'd on that ^^^

I hope that's not true. Good for him? He has a chance to come back and shove it down the Redskins throats by demonstrating they made a big mistake. He could probably get a nice raise in the process too.

Seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face if you ask me.

If my employer had done that to me, without even giving me a chance to compete, then they came racing back after their "better option" blew up in their face....I wouldn't be in any rush to come in and be their doormat again.

It screams of a dysfunctional environment. I want him to come back, but if he feels he was treated unfairly, then I understand his hesitancy.

He's out of the league right now - are you kidding me? And what do you mean they didn't give him a chance to compete? Sorry brother, but he had plenty of time to earn the job. 'It's a business' - that's what players are always saying, isn't it?

He did compete. He won the job initially in a competition, and then competed all offseason, beating out Rackers. Surely he felt he had earned the job again.

Then he wasn't given a chance to compete against a kicker that was just beaten out by a rookie in Baltimore, and he was tossed to the curb.

I understand that there are only 32 kicking jobs, and he had better be confident that someone else will come calling. That's a risk he's taking.

But if it was your son, or brother, you would want them to work somewhere that they are appreciated. We treated him like trash.

That sounds pretty hyper-emotional to me. The Redskins clearly had some concerns about Gano and wouldn't have released him for Cundiff unless they legitimately felt it put them in a better position to win. Personalizing it may be satisfying, but it's pretty silly in my book when you're sitting at home watching football in 2012.

Sorry - that's just the way I see it.

Besides - I'd think having the team that cut you come crawling back to you might be somewaht satisfying.

I don't think Shanahan will reverse a Shanahan decision, so soon.

I wanted Gano gone worse than I do Billy Whiff-It. Not sure I'd want him back.

Olindo Mare? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Look for Shanny to believe, "I'll just bring in a couple kickers, and Whiff-It will be scared straight".

"Paging Mr. Cerrato! Your style is being imitated!"

I wouldn't mind Josh Brown. He can kick it a mile and make it, so to me that's better than a guy who can't kick it 30 yards on a hash mark and make it.

That sounds pretty hyper-emotional to me.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound emotional, or that his decision should be based on emotions. Allow me to elaborate.

When did we release Gano? Like a week before the season began? After all of the other 31 teams were settled in at the position. Heck, Shanny claimed that he released John Beck in the middle of the draft so that he might be able to sign on with another team.

We weren't so nice with Gano. We made it very difficult for him to start with another team this season.

I can understand if he wasn't racing to the phone when he heard that Shanny and Danny Smith were on the line.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound emotional, or that his decision should be based on emotions. Allow me to elaborate.

When did we release Gano? Like a week before the season began? After all of the other 31 teams were settled in at the position. Heck, Shanny claimed that he released John Beck in the middle of the draft so that he might be able to sign on with another team.

We weren't so nice with Gano. We made it very difficult for him to start with another team this season.

I can understand if he wasn't racing to the phone when he heard that Shanny and Danny Smith were on the line.

I wasn't calling YOU hyper-emotional :) I'm just saying, that would be a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it. Hey - I'm ambivalent. I wanted Gano to win the job to begin with, but would have been happy with Rackers. I didn't get the Cundiff move unless they were maybe swayed by his kickoff ability. And your point about the timing of his release is a fair point - although if he were some 'hidden gem', pretty sure some team would've snatched him up.

Why do I have a feeling, no matter who we have at kicker, he'll bring us plenty of disappointment at some point?

I have to laugh. All of these kickers are out of work which means they failed somewhere else............and here there are people that look at them as saviors :laugh:

let's face it, there are no game-changers available at this time of year, just retreads.

Yep, but does he make those 40 yard kicks? We don't know because the preseason really didn't give him a chance to kick for the team. Gano seemed to win the job by default.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.