• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Redskins, Cowboys could go “nuclear” over cap mess

This is why I'm thinking that there will be some sort of settlement where all sides can claim some high moral ground, save face, and be happy. If the league had put it in writing, then there is collusion that the NFLPA could've seized on at the time. With the lack of a written policy and the teams (Redskins and Cowboys) having all contracts approved, the onus falls back to the league.

Something will give on all sides is my thinking. The Redskins will probably have half of their cap restored ($9 mil this year, $9 mil next year - or divided as they see fit), but no draft picks will be awarded. A press release will follow and all will be well in the world of football. This is just an educated guess. The only real unknown is when it would be settled - the sooner, the better?

romberjo, since you seem to know more about this than anyone else here... :)

does the NFLPA have to actively pursue collusion charges, or file claims against anti-trust, for things to happen?

basically, what i'm getting at, is if the NFLPA is in the tank with the NFL the redskins may have no leverage and be screwed. Of course there's the right/wrong way to do this, whats legal, etc... but i think we've seen this is league is run by leverage. The people with leverage get their ways, the people without concede.

This is why I'm thinking that there will be some sort of settlement where all sides can claim some high moral ground, save face, and be happy. If the league had put it in writing, then there is collusion that the NFLPA could've seized on at the time. With the lack of a written policy and the teams (Redskins and Cowboys) having all contracts approved, the onus falls back to the league.

Something will give on all sides is my thinking. The Redskins will probably have half of their cap restored ($9 mil this year, $9 mil next year - or divided as they see fit), but no draft picks will be awarded. A press release will follow and all will be well in the world of football. This is just an educated guess. The only real unknown is when it would be settled - the sooner, the better?
I think you're right. The only thing that bothers me is I think Allen and Shanahan are really upset that this happened 2 hours before FA opened. I'm curious if, because of that, they're out for blood in this one.

I'm not a lawyer or an insider, but have been thinking what you stated all along. There has to be a win win settlement for both sides.

The NFL doesn't need a PR hit and we need our cap money back. My question is how does this impact the $1.5 million given to the other teams?

I thought as part of the CBA the union agreed not to pursue collusion.

I doubt this was done to help other teams but to "create" an increase in the cap so the NFLPA did not have egg on it's face over no increase in the cap this year

Yes, that's basically my impression--but that's only from reading press (mostly involving rumors) about how it happened, not from any particular legal knowledge...........

My post a couple of pages ago explains why I think the NFL's potential argument expressed in the prior paragraph is entirely unconvincing. But that paragraph I think explains the NFL's argument better than they've explained it.

I went back and read your other post and it all makes more sense to me now. Thanks for the explanation!

With everybody being hush-hush until arbitration, is it possible negotiations could actually be ongoing now WITHOUT it being leaked? Probably not likely but it makes me wonder.

Mark Maske reports via the Washington Post
......Gabriel Feldman, the director of the sports law program at Tulane University.........
According to Feldman, Burbank will be charged, in part, with determining how much leeway the league has to go beyond the written rules to try to ensure there is fair competition among the teams.
“You can say the Redskins and the Cowboys manipulated the rules, and violated the spirit of the rules to achieve competitive balance,” Feldman said. “But you could also say the league violated the spirit of the rules of the uncapped year. That’s a tough call.”
The NFL has the support of other teams. The teams voted, 29-2, at the league meeting in Palm Beach to affirm the salary cap reductions. The Redskins and Cowboys voted against that affirmation, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers abstained from the vote.

to read so'more follow the link.

has a timeline for a decision been announced? if so i missed it. just curious when this crap will be over with.

I hope this 'arbitrator' rules on the basis of the law, and doesn't view his role as giving both sides a 'compromise' solution. I think this is a situation where the NFL acted not only without basis, but may have even stepped over the line and violated anti-trust law. I will not be satisfied without a total repudiation of the NFL's actions and restoration of that 36 million dollars of cap space.

I will not be satisfied without a total repudiation of the NFL's actions and restoration of that 36 million dollars of cap space.
Mmmm! Fair, and Just.

Two guys that get kicked to the curb far too often.

It certainly would be nice to see them come out on top this time.

I agree with you Boone, however I just don't see it happening that way. If the NFL loses face like that, I think there is the possibility that the ratings will falter. Even if its just a little bit, that can effect the next TV deal, and Snyder and Jones have a common interest with the NFL to make that as valuable as possible.

I agree with Lanky. A happy medium deal will need to be brokered. Too many are watching what happens with this, so important there is a win/win settlement.

Let's say we get 1/2 the cap hit back. Looks like we are admitting to some fault and the NFL doesn't end up with egg on its face by having to give all back. With the extra money we can resign Fletcher and others. Everyone gets to say they won.

I agree with you Boone, however I just don't see it happening that way. If the NFL loses face like that, I think there is the possibility that the ratings will falter. Even if its just a little bit, that can effect the next TV deal, and Snyder and Jones have a common interest with the NFL to make that as valuable as possible.
What, are you kidding? If games featured fist fights between owners at halftime, TV would eat it up like Dorito's at Pot Party.

The only fear the NFL has is the courtroom. Ratings aren't going anywhere.

Maybe Snyder and Jerrah's ultimate goal is to end all this sharing revenue crap, and have each team operate as it's own "Swim Or Die" business. Then the teams on welfare would have to be run better, or sold to someone who could.

THAT'S going nuclear, IMO. Or nucular, if you prefer.

Yeah,don't think the ratings would be affected much but the TV folks might gain a little more insight into the knucklehead nature of some of these owners and deal accordingly.

Apples vs Oranges.

There is a breaking point at which people will stop watching football. For example, if Goodell gets his way and replaces pads with flags, ratings will suffer. Its very strong right now, but there is always a breaking point.

NASCAR once enjoyed growing popularity and sold out races, but they kept tinkering with the product, plus economic downturn and now you can walk up to a race and buy good tickets.

The NFL and Goodell need to be mindful of what the fans want and think.

There is a breaking point at which people will stop watching football. For example, if Goodell gets his way and replaces pads with flags, ratings will suffer. Its very strong right now, but there is always a breaking point.
On that point, yes, of course. But you were talking about the NFL losing face somehow hurting ratings. There are many things that could cause ratings to drop. The NFL, looking like asses for how this whole cap debacle is going, ain't one of them. Many already assume that the NFL, and Goodell, are assholes.

Meh, the NFL isn't too worried about PR.
They know they have the fans by the nads, because football is far more addictive for football fans, than fans of other sports. It would be extremely difficult for the league to do anything that would cause fans to assemble a major boycott, thus guaranteeing insane revenue for the NFL, no matter how unethical or illegal they act.

does the NFLPA have to actively pursue collusion charges, or file claims against anti-trust, for things to happen?

basically, what i'm getting at, is if the NFLPA is in the tank with the NFL the redskins may have no leverage and be screwed. Of course there's the right/wrong way to do this, whats legal, etc... but i think we've seen this is league is run by leverage. The people with leverage get their ways, the people without concede.

Well, there are multiple potential legal challenges:

1) our Article 14, section 3 claim under the 2011 CBA that the cap hit was improper (our current arbitration filing);

2) a potential arbitration claim arguing that the other teams and the NFL, in imposing the cap hit, engaged in "collusion" as defined by Article 17 of the 2011 CBA--a claim that could only be brought by a player or the NFLPA (I don't think we're intending to urge anyone to file a claim of this sort, but who knows); and

3) a potential arbitration claim relying on 2011 CBA, Article 14, section 2, brought by us, which would argue that the NFL's cap hit is circumventing the cap rules in Articles 11 and 13 of the 2011 CBA, which do not provide for cap hits to apply to what we did. (And the flip side of this is our potential argument in the current arbitration filing that any claim against us for violating the spirit/circumventing the cap should have been brought pursuant to Article 14, section 2 rather than through what was apparently believed to be some overarching/residual power under the NFL Constitution and Bylaws--and because the cap hit was not done that way, the current cap hit should be vacated, or at least reviewed by the arbitrator with the burden of proof on the NFL rather than on us);

4) a potential antitrust challenge, which would be in court, and which we could bring. The NFLPA would ordinarily be the natural plantiff to file a collusion/antitrust claim, but here they signed off on the cap hit agreement; I see no reason why we would not have standing to file such a claim if we wanted, though:

a) as many have mentioned, that's a nuclear option, in terms of 1) very likely alienating the NFL/other owners, and 2) even if successful, could undermine the parity that many believe has been part of the NFL success story,

b) the substantive strength of our claim might be affected by the fact that the NFLPA signed off on the cap hit, and

c) the NFL Constitution & Bylaws puts some obstacles in the way of teams that file suits against the NFL, not insurmountable, but not insignificant (e.g., teams at least ostensibly agree to pay the NFL's attorney fees, unless the claim is successful, IIRC).​

My sense is that the NFL responds a fair amount to leverage (e.g., whether they will agree to settle--and, apparently, whether they'll engage in action like imposing the cap hit in the way they did). I think the NFL is looking quite bad about this, which might provide some leverage, though maybe that's my burgundy colored glasses. The arbitrator is a different story; I'm a lot less skeptical than most about his bias either way--both the NFL and NFLPA signed off on Burbank as the system arbitrator for a wide range of potential claims, thus both sides must have the sense that he'll be fair. He's a law professor at Penn, and a very smart guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.