PFT: Redskins, Cowboys could go “nuclear” over cap mess

One of many experimental iterations ...

BGO

Five days after the NFL dropped a salary-cap bomb on the Redskins and the Cowboys, the teams could be retaliating with a bomb of their own. A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Redskins and Cowboys could be going “nuclear” with the NFL as soon as Monday. More specifically, the two…

More...

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Assuming this isn't just a Florio 'opinion piece', looks like I may have been right. The Redskins and Cowboys are going nuclear on the cap penalty issue.

Good for them.

bird_1972

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I thought someone reported somewhere else (wish I had the link - sorry for that) that the Cowboys weren't planning on pursuing action against the NFL and that the Skins would be going it alone if they chose to fight.

Would love to know which option was true...

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

I saw that several days ago, but only on Twitter. Given Florio's legal background, I tend to give him more credibility on this kind of thing than I might other 'insider news'. I never bought that Jerry Jones was just going to let a lil' ol' $10 million dollar hit go. Yes - the Redskins got creamed by comparison, but that's not chumpe change. And beyond the cap hit, guys like Jerruh and Dan don't like getting publically screwed. I just couldn't imagine they were going to quietly take their medicine.

If true, this could be a bluff. But the NFL and Goodell can't afford to call it if you ask me.

Sarge

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score

Air Force

The danny sues little old ladies for not paying on the season tickets they can no longer afford. Least he could do is sue some real pricks and make their lives miserable for awhile

Chris

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44&ob=av3n[/media]

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score

So the plan is to abide by the cap now, to ensure these contracts get approved, then pursue legal matters later, as to ensure any "cap violations" this year don't become a detriment to THIS season ?

Burgundy Burner

Coaching Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

Virginia

It is not a bluff. However, if the league backs down, there would need to be assurances (in writing) that no other retaliation is forthcoming (and well into the future).

Burgundy Burner

Coaching Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

Virginia

One thing to key on...

No league source is confirming this story. The source is coming from either Redskins Park or Valley Ranch. Only one person is getting this info - Mike Florio - and that is being done on purpose.

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score

It is not a bluff. However, if the league backs down, there would need to be assurances (in writing) that no other retaliation is forthcoming (and well into the future).
There could be much more subtle retaliation to come, which is what I fear.
Like mystery and phantom game penalties during the seasons to come.
I fear this, more than I fear the spear.

NavyDave

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Navy

I am praying that they both sue their asses. John Mara, chairman of the Council Executive Committee, is completely involved in this to keep his direct opposition down.

Both teams legally did the fiscally responsible thing within the rules to improve their team both teams were also out of the playoffs and have been for years, So waht effing competitive imbalance are they talking about?

How so called fans will blindly accept the obvious collusion from our opposing because they hate OUR owner is troubling.

Last edited:

Burgundy Burner

Coaching Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

Virginia

I've called for a boycott of buying any and all NFL-licensed merchandise until this decision is reversed. I repeat that call here.
Jason, that won't do the trick. I admire the effort, but the other solution is better. It would be on ESPN and NFLN at the same time. That would be a sight to see.

SNF

The Starter
Reaction score

Very cool. Glad to hear it. And the bluff theory doesn't make sense to me. I'll bet that Mr. Snyder and Mr. Jones will be fully prepared and ready to follow through in any and every way possible.

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc

UTEP

good, and there should be some sort of punitive measurement taken against the league for screwing us out of yet another year. nobody can tell me that BS cap penalty wasnt timed the way it was for a reason. the NFL delayed our rebuild and its already been delayed lmao

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Very cool. Glad to hear it. And the bluff theory doesn't make sense to me. I'll bet that Mr. Snyder and Mr. Jones will be fully prepared and ready to follow through in any and every way possible.
When I say 'bluff', that's not meant to imply Snyder/Jones aren't prepared to follow through with it, just my belief that the scope of the Redskins/Cowboys response may be designed so it's threatening enough to scare Goodell into
capitulating.

Neophyte

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

The problem is that I am not sure Goodell understands the meaning of or concept behind capitulation. He can apparently be a cold, hard customer when he feels he needs to be.

Burgundy Burner

Coaching Staff
Staff member
Reaction score

Virginia

We could sit here and speculate about every scenario possible under the sun. We won't know until it actually occurs and there are going to be many theorists (including us) who will offer their $0.02 along the way.

"Nuclear" could mean anything and/or everything. Who thinks the jobs of D. Smith and R. Goodell are in jeopardy? Who thinks the other target (Mara family) could be ousted? I wouldn't put anything beyond the realm of possibilities now that the term "nuclear" was used by someone at Redskins Park or Valley Ranch.

skinzfan44

The Cheerleader
Reaction score

Dan's only real choice, as far as I can tell, is to sue, even if it means losing. He's got to show that he's not a pushover, else they'll just find a reason to do this again somehow. It will at least cost them some PR and time/money in lawyer fees.

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0