• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Official Game Thread - Week 18 - Cowboys @ Commanders

to be fair... he was the only one named in the article, though it wouldn't be surprising at all if he wasnt ALSO getting into deeper detail under the cover of anonymity

I think those are two totally different things. There's nothing wrong with a players saying things like 'we should be scoring more points' - it's obvious, non-accusatory, and doesn't undermine the coaching staff like these 'anonymous' leaks do. And I'm not just laying that on Logan Thomas, whose own wife 'outed him' as one of the guys talking about coaching to the media. It could even be guys like Terry McLaurin. Or every guy on offense. Who knows?

Don't get me wrong. Turner hasn't done his job for most of the past 3 seasons. He hasn't had a lot to work with, but I think that's still a fair statement. I don't see any evidence he is improving, so if they elect to move on, I'm good with it. But players need to focus on their own performance and keep their opinions in the locker room. Voice the concerns to the coaches directly if you need to. That's just what I strongly prefer.

I think those are two totally different things. There's nothing wrong with a players saying things like 'we should be scoring more points' - it's obvious, non-accusatory, and doesn't undermine the coaching staff like these 'anonymous' leaks do. And I'm not just laying that on Logan Thomas, whose own wife 'outed him' as one of the guys talking about coaching to the media. It could even be guys like Terry McLaurin. Or every guy on offense. Who knows?

Don't get me wrong. Turner hasn't done his job for most of the past 3 seasons. He hasn't had a lot to work with, but I think that's still a fair statement. I don't see any evidence he is improving, so if they elect to move on, I'm good with it. But players need to focus on their own performance and keep their opinions in the locker room. Voice the concerns to the coaches directly if you need to. That's just what I strongly prefer.

yeah as long as Rivera has been there it's been pretty tight lipped with regards to people speaking out about the team... that's changed over the last few weeks. I agree with you, I'd prefer it get handled in the house, and don't be throwin stones when you've got your own level of culpability in the losing.

So even on Sonny Jurgensen Day, they couldn't come up with his spear helmet or a Redskins one?

"We want to honor our history" but in reality, you want it erased.

Picture perfect start to Howell's career.

Always good to see Washington beat the Cowboys. Looking forward, until they get better along the O-line and at QB they'll never be more than mediocre.

1673225107371.png

Nice game for Jared Patterson.

17 for 78 4.5 ypc
Patterson is one of those guys who always seems to be sneaky effective. He's not big enough, not fast enough, not jitterbuggy enough, but he always seems to do better than you think he will. Mind you, he's at best a third running back and utility guy. Still, he's fun to root for.

Does Antonio Gibson have a year left on his contract? I hope so. I'd really love to see him under a different play caller. (I'd really love to see this team under a different play caller.)

Patterson had a great night. I have felt from the first few games I saw him against starting defenses that he runs hard but just isn’t big enough or physical enough to be a productive NFL RB. I still feel that way but he did well today.

I watched Chris Paul quite a bit today. Against a good Dallas d-line he looked pretty good to my eyes. Stout, not overwhelmed, and other than the illegal man downfield penalty no obvious errors. Big man, too.

Patterson had a great night. I have felt from the first few games I saw him against starting defenses that he runs hard but just isn’t big enough or physical enough to be a productive NFL RB. I still feel that way but he did well today.

I think many, myself included, envisioned him as a Darren Sproles type player. He’s not explosive enough for that.

I thought Howell showed some good things today. When he had time, he could find the open guy and he could hit the receiver. As the game went on, you could see him gaining confidence. The first deep throw to Terry which drew the pass interference call, it looked like he had never thrown a pass to an NFL receiver at full speed (narrator: he hadn't). But then he threw that perfect pass to Dotson that he couldn't bring in, then the other to Terry again. He has the arm and athleticism needed to be successful.

The bad was evident too. He had some throws that were off target. He also needs to read the field. He got better at that as the game went on. But that INT in the endzone, it wasn't just a bad throw, he had Dotson open in front of all that traffic at the 2. Even if he doesn't score, you have 3rd down and another chance at a FG. He focused too hard on getting the ball to McClaurin instead of realizing he wasn't open.

Even with the bad, I think what he did was earn the chance to be one of the main competitors for the starting QB job next year. I know they will probably look to add a veteran because that's what they always do. But I would be happy with going into next year have Howell as the primary starter and Heinicke as the backup.

He definitely looked like a rookie at times - because he is one. My assessment is more generous than yours. I felt he showed good awareness overall to get rid of the ball or to tuck it away and use his feet. I didn’t see many off target throws, in fact it was one of the few times this season we saw a QB hitting WRs in stride. Far from perfect, but up against one of the better defenses in the NFL (at more or less full strength), I thought he was pretty impressive.

When was the last time that McLaurin had to turn on the jets to catch up to a long throw?

He definitely looked like a rookie at times - because he is one. My assessment is more generous than yours. I felt he showed good awareness overall to get rid of the ball or to tuck it away and use his feet. I didn’t see many off target throws, in fact it was one of the few times this season we saw a QB hitting WRs in stride. Far from perfect, but up against one of the better defenses in the NFL (at more or less full strength), I thought he was pretty impressive.

Yeah, he could really move when he took off. And I agree he knew how to throw it away as well. Both of the other guys tried to play hero and throw it up for grabs. It worked for one guy and failed for the other. Anyway, I remember saying during the preseason he looked like a stronger armed Heinicke. It was definitely good to see him playing.

When was the last time that McLaurin had to turn on the jets to catch up to a long throw?
The 4th quarter of Week 1. Because we all talked about how he never had to do that before. And it turns out he hasn’t had to do that since, until today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.