• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Official Game Thread: Week 1 - WFT vs. Chargers

How soon before people start talking about Cam to DC?

Not advocating for it by any means, I am just curious as to if that chatter will start up.
Only if Kyle Allen breaks himself in some way. Vegan boy is a shell of his old self and plays in slow motion these days.

There's good news. The team that is still likely to finish last in the NFC East is the only one who won Week 1. And we have the chance to beat up on the Giants in 4 days.

There's good news. The team that is still likely to finish last in the NFC East is the only one who won Week 1. And we have the chance to beat up on the Giants in 4 days.
Giants look pretty bad right now, so my hopes are slightly higher then earlier today.

This is Henicke’s shot. He’s going to be in control of this team and has a shot to lead it for the foreseeable future. They don’t need another QB except for the practice squad.

In all honesty, I don't really take any comfort in it. They always outplay us for some reason. Hope it's different this time.

Taylor Heinicke is the best quarterback on the roster.

It may have not looked like that on paper to the national media and coaches late last season and going into this year, but every time they have to put this kid on the field he keeps the offense competitive and gives this team a chance to win.

At 28, this guy could be a late bloomer like Trent Green. I don't know what his ceiling looks like and how consistent he can be over 16 games, but given where this team is and how well he has performed, I think we need to see the Taylor show before we position ourselves to draft or trade for a franchise passer in 2022.

Some players are simply gamers. Once they get on the field they separate from guys that are ahead of them in practice.

In all honesty, I don't really take any comfort in it. They always outplay us for some reason. Hope it's different this time.
They've lost 11 out of the last 15 games vs the Giants.

They own this club.

Great QB play was the story of the day.

Hurts - 27 of 35, 3 TDs
Winston - 14 of 20, 5 TDs
Murray - 21 of 32, 4 TDs
Herbert- 31 of 47, 331 yards
Mahomes - 27 of 36, 3 TDs

Guess what all these guys had in common? Their teams won.

Until we get consistent production at that spot, we are going to hover in the middle of the pack, regardless of the performance of the defence on a week to week basis.

ESPN ran a statistic that Week 1 of the NFL season is the most difficult for handicappers to get right simply because you are seeing teams for the first time and often there are surprise individual performances that do not carry over for 16 games.

Does anyone think the Bills are not a better team than Pittsburgh? Does anyone think Houston will score 37 points again on offense this YEAR? :ROFLMAO:

Atlanta is set to have one of the worst defenses in the NFC this year so I would not read too much into Jalen Hurts' numbers in Week 1.

In terms of quarterbacking the Cowboys got a whale of a game out of Dak Prescott but still lost because their defense still can't stop anyone.

I know week 1 is hard to pick. But if you had told me that the Team would hold the Chargers to 20 points, there is no way I would have thought they would lose. Yet here we are talking about a week 1 loss and how the strength of the team couldn't get it done when they had to.

20 points is very deceiving though as both their turnovers came with them in scoring position and they had that horrible fumble out of the endzone call (which I’d love for someone to explain to me). Offensively they had their way with us and did whatever the hell they wanted all game long.

I understand that, but 20 points is 20 points. The turnovers are part of the game. Just like Gibson's turnover that turned into the winning TD. All the good, the bad, and the ugly turned into just 20 points for the Chargers. I'm not saying the defense played well. What matters is winning and they didn't make plays to win. Especially on the last drive of the game when they had a chance to make a stop and give the offense a chance to win. No matter how you play, if you are down, you want a chance to win at the end. The defense did not give the offense that chance.

How does your OC design a game plan that doesn't showcase your best receiver in Terry McLaurin?
There's no way that McLaurin should ever be frozen out of a half of football.

Scott Turner should be walking on thin ice.

How does your OC design a game plan that doesn't showcase your best receiver in Terry McLaurin?
There's no way that McLaurin should ever be frozen out of a half of football.

Scott Turner should be walking on thin ice.

More like frozen out of all drives but one.

I understand that, but 20 points is 20 points. The turnovers are part of the game. Just like Gibson's turnover that turned into the winning TD. All the good, the bad, and the ugly turned into just 20 points for the Chargers. I'm not saying the defense played well. What matters is winning and they didn't make plays to win. Especially on the last drive of the game when they had a chance to make a stop and give the offense a chance to win. No matter how you play, if you are down, you want a chance to win at the end. The defense did not give the offense that chance.

Another way to look at it is, the defense was on the field all day long. They were absolutely gassed. That's on the offense. In the first half, TOP was 2 to 1 in the Chargers favor. That's almost always a recipe for disaster. We knew the offense was a big question mark and that it might be uglier than we'd like on that front. But our 'dominant' defense was the one who got dominated. It's not always about the stats and the points. It's only great to hold a team to 20 points if you manage to exceed that.

Punting the ball instead of going for it was a huge mistake.

Putting LBs on to their receivers was a huge mistake

Not riding Gibson and Patterson until the wheels fell off was a huge mistake.

Heinicke was solid though. He played very well for a guy who was just thrown in to the game.

McLaurin is absolutely sick. The concentration to catch that ball was amazing. He's a great asset.

Logan should have gotten the ball more. He's too big and athletic to not be a part of every game plan.

Dyami needs to step up. It's time for him to earn his money!

Our entire DL needs to wake up immediately. We are going to be in serious trouble if they don't.

Agree with all that. Only caveat is - normally, punting with 6.5 minutes to go only down by 4 is reasonable. But I agree, at that point in the game, they were moving the ball up and down the field at will, and our D was gassed. I said in chat we won't get the ball back, half joking. But we didn't. I can't say I'm super confident we convert a 4th and 7, but the truth is, at least our offense was making plays in the 2nd half. Relying on the D at that point in the game, when they'd let you down all day long - that just seems like wishful thinking and the 'safe' decision.

The punt thing anywhere else than where it was is a no brainer. Try to pin them deep and let the D work.

My opinion is we should have gone for it, and even if a pick happens it's still as much as we got with the kick.

I'm hoping a lot of ass chewing and coaches learning lessons is happening this week. NY isn't going to take it easy on us at all.

Man, the timing and field position of AG's fumble was the perfect storm of awful...And everyone has already pointed out the bad 3rd down defense, uninspired offensive playcalling, etc.

One thing that was good. It appears we finally have a competent returner!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.