• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Moving up?

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
I guess most of you, if not all, have seen or heard about the strong possibility that we would move up to #2 to grab Gabbert.

We would give up the No. 10 pick, a 1st and 3rd in 2012.

If this happens...

:insane:

This would be disappointing. At this point, with the holes this team has and lack of draft picks we have had for years, doing this for any player short of the next Peyton Manning would be crushing to me and I just don't see Gabbert as anything close to that.

I agree Bob. Ugh.

But there has been a lot of strange things the last couple of days. Players praised. Players trashed. Talk about several teams moving down. Some moving up. To be sure, there is some pre-draft craziness every year, but the last two days has been nothing like I have seen in recent years.

Maybe this is some sort of smoke screen. If so, it is a weird one. But who knows? Just hoping this is some sort of plan to bring more picks and quality choices to our beloved Redskins.

We need a QB. Period. We'll tread water until we find a legitimate starter. Not endorsing a trade up, and I would be shocked (given Neo's points) if we pull the trigger on something like that. If we do, he'd better be Tom Brady all over again.

JLC tweet.

Several GMs I've talked to believe Skins will move to 2 to make sure they get Gabbert. I think he'd likely be there at 10.

:anonymous:

I really like Gabbert. I don't know if I like him enough to trade picks to get him. No way he's there at #10 though - I think that's a pipe dream. He's definitely the brightest of this year's crop. Like I said, we trade up - for ANYONE - he'd better turn out to be a Pro Bowler.

I'll try to post some of what is being said and update it immediately. Here are some tidbits...

Tennessee is said to have Gabbert as no. 1 choice and Locker as no. 2 on their board.

Texans are said to be offering Omobi, their 1st, 3rd, and 4th to move to #2 and draft Miller or Peterson. Miller is the peferred choice.

Could Coach Shanahan be helping an old friend (Elway) to drive up the price?

There's a lot of online banter suggesting a serious run on QB's with perhaps as many as five or even six going in the first round. How accurate those assessments are I don't know. I'm also aware that spreading disinformation is a normal part of the pre-draft build up and this year with FA basically shut down it could be that these "newsbites" may be a result of the strange situation approaching this draft. I'm not saying it's impossible that the Skins would do a trade-up it's just that there are a number of factors that seem to be operating that add to the uncertainty.

Basically, I'm withholding judgement until Thursday.

I am, however, with Boone and Neo-if the Skins do, given the holes/picks ratio, this guy better be the next Aaron Rogers at least or I'm gonna start calling for heads.

There's a lot of online banter suggesting a serious run on QB's with perhaps as many as five or even six going in the first round. How accurate those assessments are I don't know. I'm also aware that spreading disinformation is a normal part of the pre-draft build up and this year with FA basically shut down it could be that these "newsbites" may be a result of the strange situation approaching this draft. I'm not saying it's impossible that the Skins would do a trade-up it's just that there are a number of factors that seem to be operating that add to the uncertainty.

I am, however, with Boone and Neo-if the Skins do, given the holes/picks ratio, this guy better be the next Aaron Rogers at least or I'm gonna start calling for heads.

Serv, I have been hearing that there may be a run on QBs for a while now, which is why I advocate waiting until next year, unless something goofy happens and someone drops. If 6-7 teams grab a QB in the 1st or 2nd rounds this year, barring something really strange happening, they should be off the market next year. Even if we can't get Luck (unless what happens to Locker happens to him), we should be able to get a pretty damned good prospect.

Boone, question for you. You seem pretty keen on getting a QB (unless I'm misreading things, more than possible - I thought Serv was smarter than me yesterday :)), but I seem to remember you advocating giving Rexy a chance. Did you change your mind about Rex, or just really like some of the QBs in this draft?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well, I tend to think if you really believe there is a franchise QB on the board, you do what it takes to get him. It will take a few years to develop and you can fill holes during that time.

I think this is one of the stronger QB classes in recent memory. You never know - it's so tough to accurately predict which QBs will have NFL success - the 'experts' are wrong as often as the fans are. But I am a little contrarian - I think our chances of getting a talented QB are far better in this draft than they will be next year.

But I don't believe you can consistently compete in the modern NFL without a dangerous QB. We have to find one of those guys. I think McNabb is mentally toast and that we'd have won more games with a hungry Grossman in there last season. I think Grossman's talent is under-rated, but he's also a head case. Whether Kyle Shanahan has figured out how to keep him from imploding, I don't know. But I don't see the Shanahan's putting their entire legacy in his hands.

I'd see Grossman as a placeholder while we groom his replacement.

All that being said, I think there are a lot of ways to build a winning team - we need to make sure whoever we pick in the first round, at whatever position, that we don't blow the pick and find an athlete who will be an impact player for years and years. That's the imperative in my mind, regardless of position. The only reservation I have with going after our QB is that its always a risky proposition.

@Rich_Tandler

Caught a bit of it. Interesting, but not sure I'm buying it. Just about 48 hours to find out!

well....it's a great trade if you believe the players win and the draft is abolished.

JLC tweet.

Several GMs I've talked to believe Skins will move to 2 to make sure they get Gabbert. I think he'd likely be there at 10.

:anonymous:

Not for nothing but JLC? Did you see him during the draft last year? His "inside" sources have proven not so reliable over and over again.

Not for nothing but JLC? Did you see him during the draft last year? His "inside" sources have proven not so reliable over and over again.

I put it out there - but a lot of this is being reported across many outlets. I'm beginning to think this is a smokescreen based on what Tandler said and one of the "insiders" at the other place. It was implied a short time ago that if someone outbids us a la Jay Cutler, then Denver will go in that direction. Seems like the Texans are very interested. Do we have a wink and nod in place and with more than one team? I'm thinking we do.

I put it out there - but a lot of this is being reported across many outlets. I'm beginning to think this is a smokescreen based on what Tandler said and one of the "insiders" at the other place. It was implied a short time ago that if someone outbids us a la Jay Cutler, then Denver will go in that direction. Seems like the Texans are very interested. Do we have a wink and nod in place and with more than one team? I'm thinking we do.

I trust your instincts, I know you do your homework. I just won't/can't believe JLC has any inside info. Last year he was treated with such disregard by those supposed insiders. He looked stupid.

Some early morning tidbits...

Steelers want to move up from the 31st position to grab Pouncey.

Falcons want to move up from the 27th position to grab A.J. or Julio.

Last edited:
I saw that on the Falcons, which is interesting. Ryan evidently needs someone other than just Roddy to throw to. Both those teams pick so late they would have to give up a LOT of picks, this year and perhaps next year to make the trade worthwhile for us.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Some early morning tidbits...

Steelers want to move up from the 31st position to brab Pouncey.

Falcons want to move up from the 27th position to grab A.J. or Julio.

1) they'd have to give up too much

2) they need to fix their d-line first

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.